A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's all there in the last post. I'm done arguing with you. Not possible that you could be unclear. I spelled it out, did the math, and showed my work. You want more questions? Answer mine. Why moderation if all calories are exactly the same? Why watch what I eat for nutrition if all calories are exactly the same?
    Must people that accept "a calorie is a calorie" don't discount that there are benefits to getting adequate micro-nutrients too.
    Thankfully they don't tend to expect every morsel of food to be packed full of micronutrients they already have plenty of in general.

Somehow, even though that's true, they'll argue with you when you say so. Weird.
    Mostly because you seem to be purposely twisting their words around.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It's all there in the last post. I'm done arguing with you. Not possible that you could be unclear. I spelled it out, did the math, and showed my work. You want more questions? Answer mine. Why moderation if all calories are exactly the same? Why watch what I eat for nutrition if all calories are exactly the same?
    Must people that accept "a calorie is a calorie" don't discount that there are benefits to getting adequate micro-nutrients too.
    Thankfully they don't tend to expect every morsel of food to be packed full of micronutrients they already have plenty of in general.

Somehow, even though that's true, they'll argue with you when you say so. Weird.

You just haven't been paying attention when reading any of our posts about it. We've all said once you reach your macro needs, it's fine to eat whatever else, as long it fits in your calorie goals. IIFYM.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've not found that, but then I've never tried to tell such people a calorie isn't a calorie either :).

Neither have I.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I just spent 110 calorie dollars on two powdered sugar donuts.
    My diary / check book will still balance because before that I had lean protein and I'll be having vegetables later this afternoon.

This Dame pays her nutrition bills.
    Usually.

1078237977-500x500.jpg
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

You just haven't been paying attention when reading any of our posts about it. We've all said once you reach your macro needs, it's fine to eat whatever else, as long it fits in your calorie goals. IIFYM.

And I've agreed with that. Sorry, who are you again? What have you said that I disagreed with? And who is "We"? Go back and read what I've actually posted. IIFYM is exactly what I'm asking people to say.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Kinda the opposite, really.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just found out that 1 nutty buddy bar has a whopping 330 calories, so I decided to eat 1/2 of a Herseys special dark chocolate bar instead for 100 calories. So I guess you could argue the fact if you want to eat mostly healthly and add some junk food, all while staying within your calorie limit, you need to be finding the lowest calorie junk food that will satisfy you. I really did want that nutty bar though, but I ate the Hersey instead, so maybe just maybe I don't eat ANYTHING I want. Does that make sense?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My diary / check book will still balance because before that I had lean protein and I'll be having vegetables later this afternoon.

Usually.

Why vegetables later? What nutrition bills? All calories are exactly the same. Just have two more donuts. Eat whatever you want.

Ok I have missed most of the posts but surely its a simple case of a calorie = a calorie when we are talking about the energy required to run the body (and when it comes to weight gain and loss) Nutritional value is completely different to energy and it is healthy to try and meet all of your macro and micro nutrients requirements by eating different foods. However those nutrients do not determine weight loss or gain thats back to calories and making sure you maintain the level you require to obtain your weight goals

Edited because my spelling sucks
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Usually.

1078237977-500x500.jpg

You sly Sloth... Yer on to me! I am Richard Simmons.

(Btw... I hadn't thought about this, but, yeah, it is kinda like that, huh?)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

We're trying to talk about calories but you ALWAYS seem to be going on about "this and that is more calorie dense" "this and that has better protein".
    The thing with the donuts was exactly the same.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I just found out that 1 nutty buddy bar has a whopping 330 calories, so I decided to eat 1/2 of a Herseys special dark chocolate bar instead for 100 calories. So I guess you could argue the fact if you want to eat mostly healthly and add some junk food, all while staying within your calorie limit, you need to be finding the lowest calorie junk food that will satisfy you. I really did want that nutty bar though, but I ate the Hersey instead, so maybe just maybe I don't eat ANYTHING I want. Does that make sense?

Or maybe you could choose to up your calorie intake or up your exercise.
    Also, don't those come in 2 packs? I usually eat one and leave the other for the next day.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

Usually.

Why vegetables later? What nutrition bills? All calories are exactly the same. Just have two more donuts. Eat whatever you want.

Ok I have missed most of the posts but surely its a simple case of a calorie = a calorie when we are talking about the energy required to run the body (and when it comes to weight gain and loss) Nutritional value is completely different to energy and it is healthy to try and meet all of your macro and micro nutrients requirements by eating different foods. However those nutrients do not determine weight loss or gain thats back to calories and making sure you maintain the level you require to obtain your weight goals

Edited because my spelling sucks

I think what some people are saying is that if you eat junk food, you won't lose fat, you will just lose muscle, and if you eat healthy, you will lose fat. Also, some guy said on here that he lost weight eating pretty much all junk food and then he went to the doctor his blood pressure was normal, his cholestrol was good, and everything else checked out great. So I don't know, I hear one thing then I hear another thing, so I've just decided to start feeding my body what it wants to eat most of the time, and still include some protein, all while staying within my calorie limit. Oh, yes, and exercise at least 30 min a day 5 days a week.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

Also, don't those come in 2 packs? I usually eat one and leave the other for the next day.
    yeah they do. So 1 nutty buddy would be 115 calories.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

yeah they do. So 1 nutty buddy would be 115 calories.
    Yep.
    They are yummy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    fast eddie..... if you agreed that a calorie IS just a calorie then why did you tell me I was adding to the bull**** and oversimplifying things? Sorry but those aren't the words of someone who agreed with my post....

since when is giving people mathematically and scientifically correct information oversimplyfing things and adding to the bull***?

Because.... your body needs energy, AND your body needs other things as well

calories are a unit of energy. as far as energy in the body goes, it does not matter whether the energy comes from a twinkie or a snickers bar or an avocado or a McRoyale or a three course meal at the finest restaurant in Paris... the body uses the energy, and if you consume too much energy, the excess is stored as fat, and if you don't consume enough energy, the shortfall is made up from your body's reserves (glycogen, body fat or skeletal muscle). It doesn't matter WHAT you ate that gave your body too much or too little energy.... what matters is the total amount of energy. Which is why people can get fat eating nothing but wholefoods, and people can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies.

For the other things your body needs as well, which includes vitally important things like building new cells, repairing tissues, maintaining tissues and keeping all sorts of things in the body running properly, then it absolutely DOES matter what specific foods you eat, because a twinkie sure as anything isn't going to supply your body with the non-energy things that it needs. Yes you can get all your energy from twinkies, and you can eat a controlled quantity of twinkies to make sure there's a small shortfall in energy so your body burns some of your body fat each day and lose weight eating nothing but twinkies................... but you can't get much in the way of vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein or essential fatty acids from twinkies,

that is why a calorie IS just a calorie, but a healthy diet supplies the body with *everything* it needs, not just the right amount of energy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No, it's you. Somehow, you aren't okay with someone saying a calorie is a calorie despite it being fact. You keep referring to different nutrients of food and what not, despite it having nothing to do with it being a calorie. It is a unit of measure just kilowatt is a kilowatt no matter if it comes from water, wind, solar....etc. No matter what it takes to get a kilowatt to your house, or how much it costs, or what it does to the environment, or how it affects global warming has no affect on the fact that a kilowatt is still just a kilowatt.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm not arguing. I'm trying to explain.
    But I give up.

Good luck to all. Have fun spending your dollars.

b6488ee3.gif

now... where'd that nuttellabrah get to...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    fast eddie..... if you agreed that a calorie IS just a calorie then why did you tell me I was adding to the bull**** and oversimplifying things? Sorry but those aren't the words of someone who agreed with my post....

since when is giving people mathematically and scientifically correct information oversimplyfing things and adding to the bull***?

Because.... your body needs energy, AND your body needs other things as well

calories are a unit of energy. as far as energy in the body goes, it does not matter whether the energy comes from a twinkie or a snickers bar or an avocado or a McRoyale or a three course meal at the finest restaurant in Paris... the body uses the energy, and if you consume too much energy, the excess is stored as fat, and if you don't consume enough energy, the shortfall is made up from your body's reserves (glycogen, body fat or skeletal muscle). It doesn't matter WHAT you ate that gave your body too much or too little energy.... what matters is the total amount of energy. Which is why people can get fat eating nothing but wholefoods, and people can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies.

For the other things your body needs as well, which includes vitally important things like building new cells, repairing tissues, maintaining tissues and keeping all sorts of things in the body running properly, then it absolutely DOES matter what specific foods you eat, because a twinkie sure as anything isn't going to supply your body with the non-energy things that it needs. Yes you can get all your energy from twinkies, and you can eat a controlled quantity of twinkies to make sure there's a small shortfall in energy so your body burns some of your body fat each day and lose weight eating nothing but twinkies................... but you can't get much in the way of vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein or essential fatty acids from twinkies,

that is why a calorie IS just a calorie, but a healthy diet supplies the body with *everything* it needs, not just the right amount of energy.

Sorry dude need to clarify some thing.

Are you saying that the energy you get from a calorie regardless of its source is consumed (used) by the body in the same way and to the same efficiency?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sustainment and diet adherence are the reason for moderation.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Usually.

1078237977-500x500.jpg

You sly Sloth... Yer on to me! I am Richard Simmons.

(Btw... I hadn't thought about this, but, yeah, it is kinda like that, huh?)

Ya, I thought I'd invented the 'calorie token system....' until someone told me they'd actually owned the Deal A Meal product, years ago.