A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    'inb4',,, 2nd roll over.
    Wow. That slowed the clever responses down. Simple question. Is all food the same or not? It's been answered many times in this thread. I think maybe everyone sees where I'm going with this.

(edit) I'ma go do... things now. I'll check back later. Thought this would go a lot faster. Sure were plenty of responses before I asked that question. lol We're almost there folks. Let's get a few replies. Just need to establish if f=f.
    As far as calorie content goes, any food with 100 calories has the same calories as another food with 100 calories.
    A calorie IS a calorie, you see :).

Yeah. So I said. Over and over. I didn't ask "as far as calorie content goes". I asked if all food is the same.

To which I answered "yes"
    Food is food. Either it fits or it doesn't.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I didn't say all food is identical - it's not.

Thank you. And thank you for the explanation. I understand what you mean when you say c=c. Just as everyone understands what I mean when i say there's more to it than that. Doesn't stop them from arguing, so I need to finish this. Not attacking you. You've been very nice to me.

Let's recap what you (the collective 'you') are saying.

Calorie is a calorie. c=c

Food is not identical. f=/=f

And we know a calorie is an amount of food.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calorie

2b - "an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie"

c=f

Who's argument is illogical?

c=c, c=f, but f=/=f?

All I said was, leaving it at c=c is misleading.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    'inb4',,, 2nd roll over.
    Wow. That slowed the clever responses down. Simple question. Is all food the same or not? It's been answered many times in this thread. I think maybe everyone sees where I'm going with this.

(edit) I'ma go do... things now. I'll check back later. Thought this would go a lot faster. Sure were plenty of responses before I asked that question. lol We're almost there folks. Let's get a few replies. Just need to establish if f=f.
    As far as calorie content goes, any food with 100 calories has the same calories as another food with 100 calories.

Yeah. So I said. Over and over. I didn't ask "as far as calorie content goes". I asked if all food is the same.

lol And then you said.

Food is food. Except for when it's not. Got it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    . I asked if all food is the same.
    The same in what way?

Go deep enough and no two things are the same.

Yet most humans would accept that if there was two mugs coming off a production line they were basically the 'same'.

So could you frame the question with more detail?

A calorie is NOT an amount of food.
    A calorie is an amount of ENERGY which a food may contain.

I can have a jar which has 100ml of water and another which has 100ml of gold in.
    They are BOTH 100ml. A millilitre is a millilitre.
    However, one is considerably more valuable than the other.
    One will quench thirst better.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmlYzuURzzEsp7LkZLXa9fDMRAt0-omhjX1kpH9YQTWCNZ6uPwfw
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

Go deep enough and no two things are the same.

Except calories. Which are always identical. You're making perfect sense. I can now see where I was wrong. lol
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    'inb4',,, 2nd roll over.

lol And then you said.

Yeah, strong argument.
    Nice trolling.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

A calorie is NOT an amount of food.
    A calorie is an amount of ENERGY which a food may contain.

It is. I should have posted the link. Oh I did. It's both. That's English for ya.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    'inb4',,, 2nd roll over.

lol And then you said.

Yeah, strong argument.
    Nice trolling.

TROLLING?!?!? Have you read this thread at all? Hell, I'm the least troll like person posing in it! I've had every measure of BS thrown at me. And people have said over and over again that while a calorie is a calorie, not all food is the same. lol Trolling. Yeah. Everyone here knows exactly what I meant, agrees with me, and knows I'm right, yet continued to attack me. And I'm a troll. Good Lord. You have GOT to be kidding me.

I've made my point and proved it. I declare myself the winner of the internet. Good Night. And good luck.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It is. I should have posted the link. Oh I did. It's both. That's English for ya.
    I do not believe that anyone but you here is thinking of it as a 'unit of food' rather than a 'unit of energy'.

Got that link again to show a calorie means something different to a unit of energy?
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I do not believe that anyone but you here is thinking of it as a 'unit of food' rather than a 'unit of energy'.

Got that link again to show a calorie means something different to a unit of energy?

Also thinks "the same" has to be "identical"
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

A calorie is a calorie. Proof given - Twinkie diet. Whole point - you can eat any food because a calorie is a calorie. If no one is thinking of it as food, none of those make sense.

The link again:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/calorie
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

So is a calorie a calorie? Or is a calorie kinda like a calorie?

Why does everyone have to be an arrogant smart *kitten*? Why can't one person say "Yeah, I see what you mean. We say it that way to make a point.". Would be a much nicer and more welcoming way to explain why it is the way it is than 1,000 people ganging up and saying "you're wrong." But whatever. Says a lot about this group. Every damn thread is a ***** fest of people arguing over nonsense.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    you-must-do-what-others-don-t-to-achieve-what-oth-drunkspiration_zpsff4682c8.png
  • DamePiglet
    Options

So is a calorie a calorie? Or is a calorie kinda like a calorie?

Why does everyone have to be an arrogant smart *kitten*? Why can't one person say "Yeah, I see what you mean. We say it that way to make a point.". Would be a much nicer and more welcoming way to explain why it is the way it is than 1,000 people ganging up and saying "you're wrong." But whatever. Says a lot about this group. Every damn thread is a ***** fest of people arguing over nonsense.

*I*, of all people, tried to reason with you.

So if you and I are "the same" age, does that mean that we were born exactly simultaneously? Of course not.

Why do some people have to go Koo Koo for Cocoa Puffs when someone actually tries to explain something to them?
    You should have stuck with the rage quit instead of the name calling.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Focking rolled it!!! Noooo
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Focking rolled it!!! Noooo

chrissy_zpsc57038de.gif
  • DamePiglet
    Options