tattoo argument with spouse

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm still deciding WHAT I want. Well, color, anyway. I'm pretty sure I want the Chinese dragon symbol (my sign) or an actual dragon or possibly something that incorporates a dragon and a Capricorn ... So, you see my dilemma.

Plus, I am a total wimp about pain and even worse about spending money on something unneccesary.

How about getting one that reads: "Tattoos were really trendy in 2014."

(So you will always remember this time)

Wow, dude, what's with the hate?
    It's OK. He's just being himself. Best to either ignore or make fun of. Your choice, really.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    I love body-defilement! Sign me up for more. Getting my next on Saturday, actually. All mine are in hidden locations, due to work, but I love them anyway. My husband wasn't a fan of me having tattoos, even though he has three himself. I just figure, my body, my choice. No regrets, and I've had my first one since I was 17.
    I've seen so many say Tats are hot and in the same sentence they are hidden for work or just hidden. I don't know why work would be a reason to hide a tat if it's an accepted form of art.

You don't have to hide tattoos, the only reason people hide them is because of people who look down upon a personal decision to appreciate a form of art that doesn't fit into their tiny definition of "acceptable". I don't hide my tattoos, I'm not ashamed of them the only reason I would even consider hiding them would be because of close minded individuals that judge me solely based upon my taste in art the older generations still lingering in corporate America are by far the most judgemental.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    I'm still deciding WHAT I want. Well, color, anyway. I'm pretty sure I want the Chinese dragon symbol (my sign) or an actual dragon or possibly something that incorporates a dragon and a Capricorn ... So, you see my dilemma.

Plus, I am a total wimp about pain and even worse about spending money on something unneccesary.

Of course. Because I only ever do what's trendy.

What about one that says: "I got this tattoo because I have insecurities and I secretly want attention and small talk from strangers because I don't generally stand out or impress people with my default stature, yet I still crave a way to express my existential trauma and subconsciously want people to acknowledge I exist so this is the misguided and permanent way I chose to express that."
  • rml_16
    Options

What about one that says: "I got this tattoo because I have insecurities and I secretly want attention and small talk from strangers because I don't generally stand out or impress people by default, yet I still crave a way to express my existential trauma."
    LMAO

Oh, honey. Just ...

Oh, honey.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

It's OK. He's just being himself. Best to either ignore or make fun of. Your choice, really.

QFT.
    Which are you choosing?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I'm genuinely interested as to why a young guy like this would be so vehemently against tattoos? He's the same age as me, and it just seems odd to me. I totally understand people my age not wanting them, but to be actively "anti" tattoo? I just wonder why.
  • rml_16
    Options

QFT.
    Which are you choosing?
    He's fun to play with, I think personally.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    2, he is fine with me getting a tattoo. He was only upset that I'll enjoy shocking a few people.
    Um ...

I don't even know what to say to this.

I am starting to think the whole issue here is her husband doesn't like her reasoning for getting such a large tattoo and that she apparently decided to have a discussion with him about this after having "only 3 beers." It didn't help that her original post when she came here to share/vent was poorly constructed which lead to 6 pages of responses.

EDIT: make that 7...and counting
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm genuinely interested as to why a young guy like this would be so vehemently against tattoos? He's the same age as me, and it just seems odd to me. I totally understand people my age not wanting them, but to be actively "anti" tattoo? I just wonder why.
    I don't know that he is against them. He likes to take the most ridiculous stance on any subject to get attention. You can't reallytake anything he says very seriously.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Listen to your husband and hopefully he will be your only one.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1952 called...

^^That made me laugh^^ Totally an archaic statement. Be sure to pull out the Good Wife Guideas well... touch up your hair and makeup before he gets home from work, have his favorite drink waiting for him,Listen to him, you may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours..... hahaha.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Meh- seems to be the lack of communication and part of your drive to get it (the shock factor)

I waited over a year for mine- I waited for the right thing to come to me (my design) drew it- waited- and then hunted for the right artist- I interviewed several people and settled on a guy who liked the design and was happy to do the work. Regardless of what you think of tattoo's there is no question they are art.

Much like any other art- there is good art- bad art and amazing art- trashy art- that's why it's art. To me it is indefinitly ART. It's MY art- done through another artists hand- which is why it was so important it be art to him as well- not just something he traced and threw on my back.

Which is also why I have a beautiful piece of art on my back.

No- I have not changed. I also have not noticed a significant change in how people view me- approach me or deal with me. Granted it's not highly visible but it hasn't affected my life at all.

I also have zero regrets- (prior planning and patience will do that for you) and I am happy to have a memorial/milestone representing a chapter in my life- it's a book end. I love it. I love everything that it means to me and what it represents.

I get a great deal of compliments on it more than anything else.

Good art is good art- no matter what the media. And no question you pay for what you get.

The shock value meh- whatever. Everyone assumes I'm inked everywhere from my personality- and I haven't been. It has nothing to do with the tattoo. It's a shallow side affect- you can revel in it as much or as little as you want- mine was deeply personal so it wasn't about that. I didn't care.

Get the da*n thing if you want it. not because you want to shock people- you aren't 16.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I don't know that he is against them. He likes to take the most ridiculous stance on any subject to get attention. You can't reallytake anything he says very seriously.

Ah... He wants his women unmarred, perfect, submissive, and preferably in their late teens so that he can teach them true passion. He's said so himself.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ah... He wants his women unmarred, perfect, submissive, and preferably in their late teens so that he can teach them true passion. He's said so himself.

And apparently tattooless.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

What about one that says: "I got this tattoo because I have insecurities and I secretly want attention and small talk from strangers because I don't generally stand out or impress people with my default stature, yet I still crave a way to express my existential trauma and subconsciously want people to acknowledge I exist so this is the misguided and permanent way I chose to express that."
    LMAO

Oh, honey. Just ...

Oh, honey.

OHHH I know!!

Maybe you can have some creepy bond with your tattoo artist too. Refer to him by first name like you suddenly personally share a piece of each other for life.

It will feel really sexy and you can play it off like its just the intimate logistics of getting a tattoo.

Its pure art and Im sure your future partners will love it.
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    Uuugg. fighting with the husband over as yet non-existent tattoo = really dumb argument!!!
    So what if I'm honest and like the fact 90% of the people I know won't see my tattoo coming. I'm still getting it for me. It Doesn't mean I can't enjoy just a little shock value...right?
    He said its a life changing thing. I can't possibly know what its like. That set me off! Oh really!?! like, altering my body beyond recognition to have a child??? that kind of life altering thing??? Lets see...Choosing a piece of art versus my body conforming to accommodate a child... yep I'll take the 100% my choice art work thanks.
    Really I only had 3 beers lol.
    .Not judging people who get tats.
    defiling the body? eh? not judging......come on, if you going to throw bibles at it atleast be honest as well.

Right? I mean, drinking "defiles" the body, so does smoking, eating bad foods, getting too much sun.... Wonder how many of those things that dude did in his day....
    You can remove portions of what people quote and then add what you want to change what the person said in the first place. I congratulate the ones of you that have to done what I just said. Well done! I've done most of those things but I'm not stuck with ink embedded in my body that I'm stuck with for life. Like I said I wasn't judging anyway. So, take the portion of this statement you like or dislike and dub out what will spin it how it works best for you.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Good lord, what an utter catch. Excuse me while I go get all my thousands of dollars worth of tattoos (that I paid for with money I earned travelling the world and working for a living as a teacher) lasered off and pack it all in for a white picket fence, an apron and a nice man who will take care of me and show me the mysteries of love.

Or not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can remove portions of what people quote and then add what you want to change what the person said in the first place. I congratulate the ones of you that have to done what I just said. Well done! I've done most of those things but I'm not stuck with ink embedded in my body that I'm stuck with for life. Like I said I wasn't judging anyway. So, take the portion of this statement you like or dislike and dub out what will spin it how it works best for you.

you "stuck with" like it's an old weight or a saddle bag that you are saddled with and don't want.

yes you are stuck with it for life- unless you want painful surgery to remove it- but that's why you don't rush it and make sure you really want it- and like it and have an artist who can give you good work. That's the fricking POINT of a tattoo.

I'm not 'stuck' with my art any more than I'm "stuck" with my boyfriend- I chose them- and I want them in my life.

You say you aren't judging- but your condescending tone indicates otherwise.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

He most likely isn't against them. He just needs to feel important, and it appears that the only way he can do that is by starting conflict, and disagreeing with everything everyone says. Kind of like my 6 year old when she feels she isn't getting enough attention she acts out seeking the negative attention. Kind of heartbreaking if you ask me. :brokenheart:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

f30fd24c56e1bcfc926883d6a51d5a00.gif
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Listen to your husband and hopefully he will be your only one.

It's so depressing that this attitude still exists, even in an older generation.

Seriously, your husband isn't your boss. And unless you're getting something like a swastika on your face then no big deal in my opinion!