tattoo argument with spouse

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Its pure art and Im sure your future partners will love it.

My fiance might have something to say about my future partners that would be far worse than whether they like my tattoos.

Unlike you, I am not actually single and haven't been for a very long time. People who have self-esteem and intelligence actually enjoy my company. Thanks for playing. :flowerforyou:
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Just so you guys know, as far as being considered "art" --tattoos are a one-note artistic statement.

It doesn't matter if you have a mural or a chinese symbol, it doesn't change the artistic thesis.

Every tattoo is essentially saying the same, trite, low-brow, one-note statement: we are mortal and it hurts.

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating to. Thats why its the universal ice-breaker for the insecure members of our society to relate to one-another.

So there is no variable art in it per se as in the specific designs or what they "mean" "to you" (like anyone cares). Its a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Too much to read through. If you want a tattoo, get it. If he doesn't like it, tough sh×t. I've defiled my body plenty of times, be it tattoos, scars, and stretch marks from carrying around an 8 pound human. Be you. He can either like it or go f@ck himself. :*)
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Listen to your husband and hopefully he will be your only one.

It's so depressing that this attitude still exists, even in an older generation.

Seriously, your husband isn't your boss. And unless you're getting something like a swastika on your face then no big deal in my opinion!

Completely disagree with it being no big deal. Good relationships are based on mutual respect. If it's a big deal to her husband than it is a big deal. Just doing what you want and disregarding your spouse is selfish and disrespectful. If you act that way you should expect to be treated that way in return.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Just so you guys know, as far as being considered "art" --tattoos are a one-note artistic statement.

It doesn't matter if you have a mural or a chinese symbol, it doesn't change the artistic thesis.

Every tattoo is essentially saying the same, trite, low-brow, one-note statement: we are mortal and it hurts.

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating too.

So there is no art in it or the specific designs. Its like a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.

Hmm. Interesting. My tattoo says I made it 3 years post cancer and I need a 4th Bird since technically I've made it 4 now.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Wow. Uhm... I really don't get what the argument was about but... I have 2 tattoos. One is on my leg (which of course is only seen during the summer months... if then because I have really pale skin :) ) and the other is on my lower back (cue the tramp stamp comments) which of course I only see because I am uncomfortable with wearing clothes that show my lower back in my present state of weight :). My sister told me getting a tattoo only I see is a total waste.. and I don't agree. I know it's there... I like it.... I got it for me.

I guess I can see why he would say its life changing because you really have to think about it... because you will have it forever. It's not like getting a haircut which will grow back. Sure, I get your having a baby argument but one never knows ahead of time how their body will react to their pregnancy. Some lucky devils get out unscathed with nary a stretch mark. So.... get a tattoo if you want one... but REALLY think about what you get and where because you can't rub that sucker off if you change your mind :)

Edited for spelling
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    My wife wants a tattoo. I don't like tattoos. So I told her I'd rather she didn't get a tattoo, and got the standard "my body my decision" yadda yadda ..

Well, I'd like a brand .. so I said "ok, cool, get your tattoo and I'll get a brand." .. the first thing out of her mouth was "you will NOT get a brand, that's disgusting"

So I said .. ok. Just don't get a tattoo, then.

winner
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating too.

So there is no art in it or the specific designs. Its like a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.

Hmm. Interesting. My tattoo says I made it 3 years post cancer and I need a 4th Bird since technically I've made it 4 now.

Apparently the same thing goes for my friends son who has the Chinese symbol for "cured" because he's been cured of Leukemia.

And the Iron Man symbol his father got tattooed on his calf because he completed his first Iron Man and wanted to show his accomplishment in a way that meant something to him.

Yup. Those are quite trite and low-brow.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Ah... He wants his women unmarred, perfect, submissive, and preferably in their late teens so that he can teach them true passion. He's said so himself.

And apparently tattooless.

so there are no tattooed women in the enchanted forest............. what about tube socks with patterns embroidered on them?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Both of mine are meaningful. I've got my husband's name on heart/banner on my shoulder, and a brain tumor survivor ribbon butterfly on my left arm. I think if you are going to put something permanent on your body, especially if you have a spouse who doesn't want to get one. My husband isn't a fan of tats but doesn't mind mine because they have meaning to me.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Thats it.

So what you are saying is we are mortal and it hurts?

I feel you on that.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Thats it.

So what you are saying is we are mortal and it hurts?

I feel you on that.

Not quite sure where you're getting the "we're mortal and it hurts" from tattoos.

Do you feel the same way about piercings? What do those say about a person? I mean since you can read into the meaning of someones tattoo and why they got them obviously you have wisdom on piercings.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating to. Thats why its the universal ice-breaker for the insecure members of our society to relate to one-another.

So there is no variable art in it per se as in the specific designs or what they "mean" "to you" (like anyone cares). Its a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.
    This all assumes that people are doing it for others.
    '
    The only thing I'm looking for in mine is "it's pretty," No more, no less. And I have long hair and generally wear a shirt in public, so few people would even see one on my upper back to be able to make it a conversation starter.

My best friend has a tattoo. Unless you see her in a bathing suit or naked (you would get neither -- she has better taste, and that's not saying much), you would never know she has it. It's a turtle. Why? Because she likes turtles. She also has turtle figurines all over her house. Is she doing that for attention?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Thats it.

So there is no variable art in it per se as in it or the specific designs or what they "mean" "to you" (like anyone cares). Its like a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.

Cool story, bro. How do you express yourself artistically? Do you have a series of shirtless selfies on exhibit in the Tate Modern in London? I'm sure whatever artistic endeavors you undertake must be SO deep and awesome because you're SO self-assured and confident and a shining beacon of inspiration to us bottom-feeding insecure wretches.

I live in a country where having tattoos gets me excluded from public gyms, public baths, public pools. I would lose my job if any of my students saw my tattoos. I do not have any friends with tattoos here. So why do I keep getting more? Because I like them. I'm not trying to make any kind of statement, or "connection" with anyone. So guess again, "brah" and don't worry, I'm sure you're not overcompensating for anything yourself ;)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Thats it.

20483_logo.jpg
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Uuugg. fighting with the husband over as yet non-existent tattoo = really dumb argument!!!
    So what if I'm honest and like the fact 90% of the people I know won't see my tattoo coming. I'm still getting it for me. It Doesn't mean I can't enjoy just a little shock value...right?
    He said its a life changing thing. I can't possibly know what its like. That set me off! Oh really!?! like, altering my body beyond recognition to have a child??? that kind of life altering thing??? Lets see...Choosing a piece of art versus my body conforming to accommodate a child... yep I'll take the 100% my choice art work thanks.
    Really I only had 3 beers lol.

If you don't value his opinion...don't ask. Don't get upset if his opinion doesn't match yours.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Cool story, bro. How do you express yourself artistically? Do you have a series of shirtless selfies on exhibit in the Tate Modern in London? I'm sure whatever artistic endeavors you undertake must be SO deep and awesome because you're SO self-assured and confident and a shining beacon of inspiration to us bottom-feeding insecure wretches.

:laugh:
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    You can remove portions of what people quote and then add what you want to change what the person said in the first place. I congratulate the ones of you that have to done what I just said. Well done! I've done most of those things but I'm not stuck with ink embedded in my body that I'm stuck with for life. Like I said I wasn't judging anyway. So, take the portion of this statement you like or dislike and dub out what will spin it how it works best for you.

you "stuck with" like it's an old weight or a saddle bag that you are saddled with and don't want.

yes you are stuck with it for life- unless you want painful surgery to remove it- but that's why you don't rush it and make sure you really want it- and like it and have an artist who can give you good work. That's the fricking POINT of a tattoo.

I'm not 'stuck' with my art any more than I'm "stuck" with my boyfriend- I chose them- and I want them in my life.

You say you aren't judging- but your condescending tone indicates otherwise.
    I have a condescending tone because what I said has been rearranged added to taken away from then submitted for approval by the last person to quote what I said.
    When everyone is through changing what I said I'll be glad to sign a copy for your amusement.
    Over and Out!
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Thats it.

'
    The only thing I'm looking for in mine is "it's pretty," No more, no less. And I have long hair and generally wear a shirt in public, so few people would even see one on my upper back to be able to make it a conversation starter.

My best friend has a tattoo. Unless you see her in a bathing suit or naked (you would get neither -- she has better taste, and that's not saying much), you would never know she has it. It's a turtle. Why? Because she likes turtles. She also has turtle figurines all over her house. Is she doing that for attention?

Its not about what it is, its the dramatic and romantic self-engrandizing procedure, nay the ceremony, of such a permanent and self-aware act.

Despite the stated intent, there will always be that emotional relationship to it, the thought, anticipation, the ritual, the after-glow, the new horizons of self identity.

To understand what I am saying one must agree with this statement: Absolutely everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. (Even the hermit who moved to Alaska because of his contempt for society wants you to watch the show about how they are surviving in the middle of nowhere out there). Despite misguidedness of some peoples expression, the subconscious machinations of wanting to be heard one way or another are always present.

Everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. --If you can comprehend the profundity of that psychology, we can begin to have a discussion.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Thats it.

'

Its not about what it is, its the dramatic and romantic self-engrandizing act, nay the ceremony, of such a permanent and self-aware act.

Despite the stated intent, there will always be that emotional relationship to it, the thought, anticipation, the ritual, the after-glow, the new horizons of self identity.

To understand what I am saying one must agree with this statement: Absolutely everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. (Even the hermit who moved to Alaska because of his contempt for society wants you to watch the show about how they are surviving in the middle of nowhere out there)

Everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. --If you can comprehend the profundity of that psychology, we can begin to have a discussion.

Put the dictionary down, brah.