As a guy I wanted to know what it was like as a woman...

Options

Replies

• WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    tl;dr whole thread, but... Years ago, I created a male profile online for a similar experiment. My alter ego could post the exact same thing that got me slobbering compliments and PMs... and he would be completely ignored by that online community. The difference is pretty interesting. Kind of bummed me out at the time to think I might not be as objectively witty as I thought. :ohwell:

I want to point out I said this exact thing earlier and it was dismissed LOL. Hopefully coming from a woman the statement will actually carry some importance.
    It was not dismissed. Again, BEING REJECTED OR IGNORED IS NOT THE SAME AS VIRTUAL SEXUAL ASSAULT.

"virtual sexual assault" is a little epic, isn't it? Typically, a sexual assault cannot be stopped with a "block" button.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    tl;dr whole thread, but... Years ago, I created a male profile online for a similar experiment. My alter ego could post the exact same thing that got me slobbering compliments and PMs... and he would be completely ignored by that online community. The difference is pretty interesting. Kind of bummed me out at the time to think I might not be as objectively witty as I thought. :ohwell:

I want to point out I said this exact thing earlier and it was dismissed LOL. Hopefully coming from a woman the statement will actually carry some importance.
    It was not dismissed. Again, BEING REJECTED OR IGNORED IS NOT THE SAME AS VIRTUAL SEXUAL ASSAULT.

"virtual sexual assault" is a little epic, isn't it? Typically, a sexual assault cannot be stopped with a "block" button.
    You kind of don't know that junk shot is going to be there until you open the message. Just sayin'.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.

I was single for about 3 months this summer and it was miserable. I remember being single 4-5 years ago and not being so uncomfortable.

This last year- was AWFUL. And this was with people I already knew- not complete strangers.

My dating experience online a few years ago wasn't that bad- but it isn't pretty... and no- it's not easy.

I didn't get free meals- or take advantage of men- or just waiting for them to hit on me. I'm not a meat market getting to picked up.

that's just so incredibly inaccurate it's not even funny.

Guy and a girl walk in to a bar. Which one is probably getting at least a couple free drinks from strangers? Just sayin'. Meeting someone is easy when you have to put no effort in to striking up a conversation.

The two hours that girl put into her hair and makeup have some questions about you mean by "no effort."

whoa! 2 hours?!? Holy crap, they're doing it wrong. Or, maybe I am. I would never take 2 hours to get ready. I can be fully ready in under an hour, including shower, full hair and makeup and outfit. Good gravy.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    Single folks don't use phones, don't go to parties at their friends' houses

Of course they do. At least in my circle, they do. I have friends from 22 years old to 60 years old. Many of them are single. My daughter and her group of friends are in college.

I have people over to my house all the time and my friends have people to their houses. Whether it's for the Super Bowl, Halloween or a random, "Hey, we haven't seen each other in a while!" Friday night.

Who are these people who never go to each other's houses?

IDK...It was stated earlier in the thread that only teenagers go to house parties. It seems strange to me. That's my main "social life" is house parties.

Everytime I see the words "house party", I think about kid n' play

glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that.

*does the kid n' play foot dance with you*
    Do we have a match?

Nah, I just super perved her. Sorry, as a guy, I cannot control myself.

hahahahaha *snort* hahahahaha. You didn't super perv me. You made me laugh. I was actually going over the dance in my head. Its been a few years, lol.

My buddies and I could never exactly pull it off. We always missed the part where you turn around and touch the bottoms of your feet.
    Options

You kind of don't know that junk shot is going to be there until you open the message. Just sayin'.

^^ she has a point. While some think that is acceptable behavior, most do not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Single folks don't use phones, don't go to parties at their friends' houses

Of course they do. At least in my circle, they do. I have friends from 22 years old to 60 years old. Many of them are single. My daughter and her group of friends are in college.

I have people over to my house all the time and my friends have people to their houses. Whether it's for the Super Bowl, Halloween or a random, "Hey, we haven't seen each other in a while!" Friday night.

Who are these people who never go to each other's houses?

IDK...It was stated earlier in the thread that only teenagers go to house parties. It seems strange to me. That's my main "social life" is house parties.
    Maybe it was the term "house party"? I mean, we don't call them that. We just call them parties or get-togethers or whatever. Or, "So and so is having a few people over."

Maybe it's not my age then. Maybe it's a regional thing? *shrugs*

I've never called it a "get-together." And to me "having people over" is more like a small dinner party. I'm talking about 40-50 people, loud music, kegs and coolers, lots of smoke in the backyard (or in the garage if it's winter...) To me, that's a house party, a party at someone's house. :bigsmile:

see, that's what we did at 18. *shrugs*

See, if my parents had let me party at 18, I might have outgrown this behavior. :blushing:

there was no "letting" about it. I got my *kitten* handed to me for that. It was worth it, lol.

:drinker:

I waited until I was "OUT OF THIS ******* HOUSE" :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

True, it's not "assault" exactly, but definitely sexual harassment, imo.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Wahhhhhhh!!! Too many guys want to buy me free meals!!!! Life as a woman is soooooooooo difficult. Let's be honest, you ladies have to put literally no effort in to meeting guys. You're basically just waiting for one to hit on you that meets whatever shallow standard you've imposed for looks. You then simply decide if his annoying qualities offset his looks and by how much.

I was single for about 3 months this summer and it was miserable. I remember being single 4-5 years ago and not being so uncomfortable.

This last year- was AWFUL. And this was with people I already knew- not complete strangers.

My dating experience online a few years ago wasn't that bad- but it isn't pretty... and no- it's not easy.

I didn't get free meals- or take advantage of men- or just waiting for them to hit on me. I'm not a meat market getting to picked up.

that's just so incredibly inaccurate it's not even funny.

Guy and a girl walk in to a bar. Which one is probably getting at least a couple free drinks from strangers? Just sayin'. Meeting someone is easy when you have to put no effort in to striking up a conversation.

Free drinks are not the gift you seem to think. They come with a expectation for many senders - there is a sense of obligation that you must now at least engage in small talk with the buyer, which is an unwelcome imposition if you are just there trying catching up with a friend or some other specific purpose. I politely decline when a stranger offers to buy me a drink; however I will certainly buy my own and talk to them if they seem interesting and we are already having a good conversation. But sometimes they don't ask - they just send one over and then there's that awkward moment of negotiating how to say "Thank you but I am not interested" or "You seem nice, but I am kind of tied up right now" without seeming like a big jerk.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options

Well we can't just run around pulling our junk out IRL. *shakes head* silly women.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The big take away from your rant is that only attention from certain types of guys is welcome. Yeah, I get flat out rudeness and extremes like living with your parents are unattractive but an unwillingness to converse with someone because they're "on you're level" is narrow minded. You see this in real life too. If a hot guy leers at you at a bar it's flirting. If an ugly guy does it he's being creepy. There was even a post about this recently somewhere. It was by a women who lost a lot of weight and suddenly started getting attention. She talked about how great it was that young guys at the gym were looking her over but how uncomfortable she was by the guys that did it at the gas station. Sorry we're not all male models ladies. It happens.

No one cares about how you look. Do you think all women are engaged to someone who's good looking or intelligent or rich or whatever you think it's valuable? The world is FULL of normal people who are engaged or married. If you're still thinking about this you're only giving yourself a shallow justification about why a woman shouldn't want to meet a man.
    If a man I've never met tried to flirt with me I would find it creepy no matter how he looks. He doesn't know me. If he was really interested in knowing me he could start off a normal ****ing conversation. But notice how this doesn't EVER happen and that's why girls are suspicious about men trying to randomly approach them.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Well we can't just run around pulling our junk out IRL. *shakes head* silly women.

No "helicopter, helicopter" game? :laugh:
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options

pop always said "How are you going to pull 'em in, if you don't whip out the lasso?"
    Options
    Had this been a discussion about online dating with people who were actually involved in online dating it could have been pretty interesting and fun, or at the very least relevant.

Since all the boring people in relationships had to horn in we're stuck with talk about meeting in church or "You guys really just need to put on your best pair of hammer pants and meet someone at a house party! Find a girl who's fly and zoom zoom in her boom boom!"

Stinson out! :wink:

I was recently online dating. I had a mixture of experiences, both in messages and meeting guys in person. Some were HORRID. Some lead to a second date. Some lead to relationships - no, not at the same time... But, they were all experiences that were fun to share with friends.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

pop always said "How are you going to pull 'em in, if you don't whip out the lasso?"

That sounds like something my husband would say to our son. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    The big take away from your rant is that only attention from certain types of guys is welcome. Yeah, I get flat out rudeness and extremes like living with your parents are unattractive but an unwillingness to converse with someone because they're "on you're level" is narrow minded. You see this in real life too. If a hot guy leers at you at a bar it's flirting. If an ugly guy does it he's being creepy. There was even a post about this recently somewhere. It was by a women who lost a lot of weight and suddenly started getting attention. She talked about how great it was that young guys at the gym were looking her over but how uncomfortable she was by the guys that did it at the gas station. Sorry we're not all male models ladies. It happens.

No one cares about how you look. Do you think all women are engaged to someone who's good looking or intelligent or rich or whatever you think it's valuable? The world is FULL of normal people who are engaged or married. If you're still thinking about this you're only giving yourself a shallow justification about why a woman shouldn't want to meet a man.
    If a man I've never met tried to flirt with me I would find it creepy no matter how he looks. He doesn't know me. If he was really interested in knowing me he could start off a normal ****ing conversation. But notice how this doesn't EVER happen and that's why girls are suspicious about men trying to randomly approach them.

It does happen, though. My fiance started a normal, respectful conversation with me. The couple guys who asked me out at the grocery store and the one at the gas station did, too. Had I been single, I might have responded positively to them. I wasn't rude in my actual response, just let them know I was flattered but not available.

My ex stod behind me while I was sitting at the bar with friends for about 20 minutes (I assumed he was watching something on the TVs, but he was trying to get up the nerve to talk to me). He finally offered to buy me a drink, but I was done for the night (I was driving) so we just talked. And then we danced and ended up his friends and mine hanging out the rest of the night and we went on a date the next night, dated for a year and got engaged.

We'd probably be married if his mother wasn't bat**** crazy.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It does happen, though. My fiance started a normal, respectful conversation with me. The couple guys who asked me out at the grocery store and the one at the gas station did, too. Had I been single, I might have responded positively to them. I wasn't rude in my actual response, just let them know I was flattered but not available.

My ex stod behind me while I was sitting at the bar with friends for about 20 minutes (I assumed he was watching something on the TVs, but he was trying to get up the nerve to talk to me). He finally offered to buy me a drink, but I was done for the night (I was driving) so we just talked. And then we danced and ended up his friends and mine hanging out the rest of the night and we went on a date the next night, dated for a year and got engaged.

You'll have to agree with me that if women are still suspicious about guys who randomly want to start a conversation with them, there must be a reason.
  • rml_16
    Options

You'll have to agree with me that if women are still suspicious about guys who randomly want to start a conversation with them, there must be a reason.
    Well, of course. Some guys are jerks. But the idea that it never happens that a decent, respectful man starts a conversation with you is untrue. Maybe it never happns to YOU, but it happens.
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options

Well, of course. Some guys are jerks. But the idea that it never happens that a decent, respectful man starts a conversation with you is untrue. Maybe it never happns to YOU, but it happens.

It is all about balance. We have to strike up a conversation, but let our intentions be known that we are interested in you without being creepy. Otherwise, *looks over the edge of the "friend-zone cliff" and feels a gust of wind*
  • rml_16
    Options

It is all about balance. We have to strike up a conversation, but let our intentions be known that we are interested in you without being creepy. Otherwise, *looks over the edge of the "friend-zone cliff" and feels a gust of wind*
    The fiance and I were kind of making googly eyes at each other for a while before he approached. lol There was someone there we both knew, so he asked her to introduce us. The funny thing is, about four months before that we had spent about three straight hours talking in that same bar and while he thought I looked familiar, he couldn't remember from where and I didn't recognize him at all.

I remember being kind of shocked that after we'd spent so much time talking that night he left without even asking for my number, but by the next meeting I'd mostly forgotten.