How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thing is, I don't disagree with you guys. There are a lot of opportunities to give that advice without intentionally threadjacking every question.

I just gave this answer in another thread:

"Good answer above. From a purely weight loss point of view, maintain a deficit and you'll lose weight. And eating some of the things you like from time to time makes it a lot easier to stick with it. Just record them, watch your calorie goal and your macros, enjoy them and don't feel guilty."

That's the essence of your "liberation" message, isn't it? I'm telling you, as a relative newcomer here, that's not how it comes across in threads like this one. It just seems like you want to fight with anyone who chooses to do it differently than you do it.

Just my opinion. Like I said, I don't disagree with you (a point I don't seem to be able to make enough). I just don't think it needs to dominate every thread, and don't think the site needs to be intolerant of questions about things other people want to try.

There are also a ton of questions that get very few answers. I got politely yelled at in another thread today for suggesting that a woman who is gaining weight does NOT need to eat more calories. Why don't you, you know, look around and spread the wealth of your knowledge. I thought it was ironic that there were so few people jumping in to explain in that thread when these few seem to get posts all day long - usually from the same 10 people. If you're really trying to spread the word, that's not a very efficient way to do it. Really does make it look like you just want to argue.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would also bet that no caveman died of heart disease, diabetes or cancer either.

.. Why?

I was considering the same question….not sure why cancer would not have been present, as it is primarily caused by cells mutating and then rapidly dividing….unless paleo diet prevents this?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thing is, I don't disagree with you guys. There are a lot of opportunities to give that advice without intentionally threadjacking every question.

I just gave this answer in another thread:

"Good answer above. From a purely weight loss point of view, maintain a deficit and you'll lose weight. And eating some of the things you like from time to time makes it a lot easier to stick with it. Just record them, watch your calorie goal and your macros, enjoy them and don't feel guilty."

That's the essence of your "liberation" message, isn't it? I'm telling you, as a relative newcomer here, that's not how it comes across in threads like this one. It just seems like you want to fight with anyone who chooses to do it differently than you do it.

Just my opinion. Like I said, I don't disagree with you (a point I don't seem to be able to make enough). I just don't think it needs to dominate every thread, and don't think the site needs to be intolerant of questions about things other people want to try.

There are also a ton of questions that get very few answers. I got politely yelled at in another thread today for suggesting that a woman who is gaining weight does NOT need to eat more calories. Why don't you, you know, look around and spread the wealth of your knowledge. I thought it was ironic that there were so few people jumping in to explain in that thread when these few seem to get posts all day long - usually from the same 10 people. If you're really trying to spread the word, that's not a very efficient way to do it. Really does make it look like you just want to argue.

There are two inherent reasons for that:

1) "Clean" has no remotely consistent meaning. As a term it's useless.

2) Whenever the thread comes up - often in the initial post itself - people make claims that are either clearly false or highly misleading. In case you haven't noticed in your short time on the board, such claims are immediately descended upon. Which makes sense, as IMO the constant barrage of horrendous lies and misinformation from the fitness and diet industry is the #1 reason people have so much trouble getting their bodies under control.

Also, I'm not sure why you're telling me to "spread the knowledge." Go review my 8500+ posts and then tell me I don't spread knowledge. I'll wait.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on.

What does this even mean?

considering kale is absolutely the most disgusting thing pushed on us by the "health food" guru's I'm all about dorito's and bugers.

*kitten* eating kale. that *kitten* is nasty.

Obviously you have never enjoyed "soul food" before. Kale and Collard greens are absolutely delicious, if you know how to cook them. It's not just a food "pushed by health food gurus".
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Having read every FDA label on anything I've consumed since age 12 and having backgrounds in both chemistry and pharmacy. C'mon, who wants to eat bread made with dry wall ingredients?
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

I love kale, as does my processed food loving non-dieting drinks-too-much-beer husband.

And reading through the posts in this thread, the clean eaters don't really sound like the obnoxious ones.

It's odd sometimes how the reverse logic makes the truth look false.

It happens a lot in real life. Usually because of low IQs and people jumping to conclusions without thinking through the situation.

WOW. Your post is proof of what they were saying. Supposedly the clean eaters are the ones that look down their noses, but this post is just ridiculous. "low IQs". Just wow. So the reverse would be that all the so called "dirty eaters" have high IQ's????
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-mN55yrN5ul2C8VgitVsFKkVBN7D69kwTa5UXmmdu1J1Xtze61g
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wash all my hands and food before I eat it.

I don't even do this all the time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I wash all my hands and food before I eat it.

I don't even do this all the time.

joff - you are such a dirty eater…what are you doing in this thread?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would also bet that no caveman died of heart disease, diabetes or cancer either.

.. Why?

I was considering the same question….not sure why cancer would not have been present, as it is primarily caused by cells mutating and then rapidly dividing….unless paleo diet prevents this?

I'm curious how we would know if cavemen had cancer. Lots of people died of things we knew nothing about at the time.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly organic food. I try not to eat too much sugar, salt or fat. I like kale... but I am weird, so this probably doesn't mean anything. For me, eating clean means not eating things I believe are unhealthy for me, or at least not eating very much of them. I do this by spending a lot of money on organic and local food, by growing my own and by limiting my access to the foods that I do not think are healthy for me. I usually do not eat foods that have commercials. I wish you the best.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

.. Why?

I'm curious how we would know if cavemen had cancer. Lots of people died of things we knew nothing about at the time.

Cancers leave pretty distinct biological markers which can persist through fossilization. The most obvious would be bone cancer, which can cause pretty obvious bone deformities.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

.. Why?

Cancers leave pretty distinct biological markers which can persist through fossilization. The most obvious would be bone cancer, which can cause pretty obvious bone deformities.

Interesting, thanks.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad.
    In to find out how being a stay at home dad prevents me from understanding science.
    I laugh and move on. I have personal experience that eating processed crap gives me inflammation and causes me pain. There is no such thing as junk food, there is junk and there is food.
    There's your problem: failure to understand context and dosage, and the fact that we all don't have an autoimmune disease just because you do.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

The people on the "eat clean" side of this debate have it exactly backwards. It's the clean eaters who constantly tell others that the food they eat will give them cancer, heart disease, etc. It's the clean eaters who constantly shame the actual foods that other people eat.

The rest of us are trying to free people from the tyranny of "this bad food that you love will kill you." It's madness.

It's not about insulting people whose views are different. It's about attacking pseudoscience and nonsense and food phobia.

Well the post I was replying to clearly stated that "clean eaters are obnoxious" so how is that not insulting people who's views are different? I disagree that clean eaters are constantly food shaming those who choose to eat junk food. I can't understand why people would want to eat junk food all the time but it's your choice. I don't know about anyone else but when I say "I eat clean because XYZ" it doesn't mean that I think you should too, it's a simple statement, not a judgement about you or anything else.

As for clean eating being "pseudoscience and nonsense" I honestly don't think there is a definitive "truth" either way - every piece of information on this planet is theory, not fact, and it is up to each individual to read and make their own decisions for themselves. For all I know McDonalds could be the cure for cancer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I just came in here to say...nvm *sulks out*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means eating no processed foods or minimally processed foods. Lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, cheese.
    Not to a vegetarian.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I can't understand why people would want to eat junk food all the time but it's your choice.
    Why do you feel that junk food, say everyday (just thrown in not every meal), leaves you baffled?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Having read every FDA label on anything I've consumed since age 12 and having backgrounds in both chemistry and pharmacy. C'mon, who wants to eat bread made with dry wall ingredients?
    Do you take supplements? Cause you know as well as I do that supplements aren't regulated by the FDA unless there's an endangerment to the public from them. So isn't that taking a "chance" since it's not really regulated?
    As for the "dry wall" ingredients, people do it for taste. If it tasted like crap, they probably wouldn't eat it. Taste and palatibility of foods are why many are over weight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Greytfish
    Options
    As for the "dry wall" ingredients, people do it for taste. If it tasted like crap, they probably wouldn't eat it. Taste and palatibility of foods are why many are over weight.

Of course they would, because they eat what they are conditioned to eat - that's part of what makes it so difficult for some to change their diet even when their health depends on it.