How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't increase your metabolism measurably. It's the weight you gain from eating more that increases your metabolism.

So when I upped my calories when I was at a plateau, how did I lose the last 4 lbs and gain more energy?

What date did this happen?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't increase your metabolism measurably. It's the weight you gain from eating more that increases your metabolism.

So when I upped my calories when I was at a plateau, how did I lose the last 4 lbs and gain more energy?

Most likely your needs changed from where you started. So yes you may have been eating more then you did in the beginning, but the you that needed more calories to function optimally now is different then the you that needed to function optimally then. I hope that made sense... I had to read it a few times... sorry.

Also, exercise, recovery, sleep and nutrition all have an impact. So you can't really say for certain it was the food. I'm not saying it was not, just saying it's hard to say for sure.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You gained more energy because you ate more food/Calories. Calories are simply energy. By consuming more energy, you had more energy.

There is something called "the whoosh effect," which has been debated. While dieting, especially if the deficit is particularly large, our bodies may tend to retain water. It doesn't always happen, but that's what appears to happen often enough. When we (temporarily) raise our Calories, we more-or-less trick our bodies into releasing the excess water. 4 lbs - especially if it's lost quickly and shortly after raising Calories - would seem to be about right. We/I can't be certain that that's what happened to you, but that's my guess.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

"Feeling energetic" has nothing to so with metabolism. Metabolism is simply calories burned to support body functions. Feeling energetic or drained is generally mental.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Most likely your needs changed from where you started. So yes you may have been eating more then you did in the beginning, but the you that needed more calories to function optimally now is different then the you that needed to function optimally then. I hope that made sense... I had to read it a few times... sorry.

Also, exercise, recovery, sleep and nutrition all have an impact. So you can't really say for certain it was the food. I'm not saying it was not, just saying it's hard to say for sure.

LOL, I am pretty darn sure it was the food.

This happened Feb/March 2012. Someone from MFP challenged me to eat more to lose weight. I was at 116 wanting to get to 112, and did. I was kind of miserable and tired after weeks of hearing about eat more to weigh less, I did it and it worked. I was sleeping well and training for a half marathon, the problem was I was not eating enough food to sustain my metabolism.

My body fat also went from 20.5 to 19.6, so it was not water weight.
  • J72FIT
    Options

LOL, I am pretty darn sure it was the food.

This happened Feb/March 2012. Someone from MFP challenged me to eat more to lose weight. I was at 116 wanting to get to 112, and did. I was kind of miserable and tired after weeks of hearing about eat more to weigh less, I did it and it worked. I was sleeping well and training for a half marathon, the problem was I was not eating enough food to sustain my metabolism.

My body fat also went from 20.5 to 19.6, so it was not water weight.

In that instance I would not look at it like eating more helped you. What you did was eat appropriately for your current energy needs. What you did not do was eat more to jumpstart your metabolism. At least not in the context of the poster I originally commented on.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Came to see why this was still here.

Sees Jonnythan is handling business and has hit all nails squarely in the head.

Only wanting to address this

considering kale is absolutely the most disgusting thing pushed on us by the "health food" guru's I'm all about dorito's and bugers.

*kitten* eating kale. that *kitten* is nasty.

Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious . It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

If you read this thread in its entirety, along with all the other threads that feature healthy food you will clearly see that it is not the clean eaters who are the obnoxious ones. I have not seen one single post where anyone has been insulting or rude to those people who choose to eat junk food, but plenty where junk food eaters feel they have the right to insult those of us who choose to avoid processed foods and eat healthy. I mean what's up with that? Eat all the junk food you like no one really cares but at least have the common decency and manners not to insult people who may have different views to yours. If you can't hold a civilised discussion on a public board without resorting to personal attacks and insults you might want to think about getting some psychological counselling or something.

I can only assume that you subconsciously feel threatened by any person who has differing views and opinions to you because you know your views are not the be all and end all truth and you don't have the language or social skills to communicate with other people.

The OP was asking how people eat clean, if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, then move on without posting.

please point out where I insulted (or anyone actually) anyone for eating kale.

Because I didn't. I just said that food was disgusting. Along with collard greens. It's not delicious- it's awful. There is a difference between saying I thing a food is disgusting verses saying the person eating said food is disgusting because they are eating said food.

I didn't. I'm not threatened by people who eat kale. It is what it is- I think they have terrible taste- but I think lots of people have terrible tatse- have you been to Wal-mart lately? It is what it is. Terribly taste all over the place.

Just because I think your food is gross doesn't mean I am insulting you. I just think your food is gross- probably in the way I think your crocks are gross. still not an insult.

Please see highlighted in bold and underlined in case you conveniently forgot what you originally typed...

The fact you or anyone else doesn't like kale doesn't insult me, hell, I don't like it myself to tell the truth, but to call people who believe in or follow a certain lifestyle "obnoxious" is insulting. Yes, there are obnoxious people on these forums in both camps but to call a whole group of people obnoxious for what they believe in is just wrong.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

considering kale is absolutely the most disgusting thing pushed on us by the "health food" guru's I'm all about dorito's and bugers.

Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

If you read this thread in its entirety, along with all the other threads that feature healthy food you will clearly see that it is not the clean eaters who are the obnoxious ones. I have not seen one single post where anyone has been insulting or rude to those people who choose to eat junk food, but plenty where junk food eaters feel they have the right to insult those of us who choose to avoid processed foods and eat healthy. I mean what's up with that? Eat all the junk food you like no one really cares but at least have the common decency and manners not to insult people who may have different views to yours. If you can't hold a civilised discussion on a public board without resorting to personal attacks and insults you might want to think about getting some psychological counselling or something.

I can only assume that you subconsciously feel threatened by any person who has differing views and opinions to you because you know your views are not the be all and end all truth and you don't have the language or social skills to communicate with other people.

The OP was asking how people eat clean, if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, then move on without posting.

Because I didn't. I just said that food was disgusting. Along with collard greens. It's not delicious- it's awful. There is a difference between saying I thing a food is disgusting verses saying the person eating said food is disgusting because they are eating said food.

I didn't. I'm not threatened by people who eat kale. It is what it is- I think they have terrible taste- but I think lots of people have terrible tatse- have you been to Wal-mart lately? It is what it is. Terribly taste all over the place.

Just because I think your food is gross doesn't mean I am insulting you. I just think your food is gross- probably in the way I think your crocks are gross. still not an insult.

Please see highlighted in bold and underlined in case you conveniently forgot what you originally typed...

The fact you or anyone else doesn't like kale doesn't insult me, hell, I don't like it myself to tell the truth, but to call people who believe in or follow a certain lifestyle "obnoxious" is insulting. Yes, there are obnoxious people on these forums in both camps but to call a whole group of people obnoxious for what they believe in is just wrong.

The lady has a point !
  • J72FIT
    Options
    What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?!

Many people seem to forget what the OP's original question was. He never asked how do you eat clean... he asked what does it mean to eat clean...

It seems to have many different meanings to many different people, which means it really has no meaning at all...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Clean cooking means handwashing, avoiding cross contamination, and thoroughly cooking meat/eggs/poultry (with the exception of rare steak). If what you mean by "clean" is adhering to the latest fad diet ideas, I think clean is hilarious.
  • Greytfish
    Options

"Feeling energetic" has nothing to so with metabolism. Metabolism is simply calories burned to support body functions. Feeling energetic or drained is generally mental.

I'm guessing you're not a distance runner?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you're not a distance runner?
    How is that relevant? Hitting the wall is due to running out of glycogen stores. It has nothing to do with the speed of your metabolism.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

... reading comprehension > you

I didn't type that- my quote is the one he was responding too.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me eating clean is a weird term!! I try to eat nutrient dense foods most of the time but I do love my cake and pie!!!