How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I rather fuel my body then just feed it, when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!

The only thing that truly "revs" up your metabolism is exercise... This notion that you can "rev" up your metabolism with food is nonsense.

Not entirely true. Lots of things will increase metabolism. Just not a boneless, skinless, chicken breast.

Oh, please tell.

Levothyroxine for starters.

How about we stick to food then... ok?
    This notion that you can "rev" up your metabolism with food is nonsense.
  • geeberscreepers
    geeberscreepers Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of it in terms of "is this food or is this a product?" and it usually keeps me right.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation

This is not true and definitely not helpful SMH

"Clean" eating, as many have pointed out, is going back to basics and staying away from processed foods as much as possible. I personally wouldn't want to be 100% clean all the time only because there are dirty things I enjoy once in a while LOL

Do you research. Don't believe everything you read or hear. Everyone will claim to be experts but you are the only expert on your body. Find a balance that works for you. Don't deprive yourself. A true lifestyle change will eventually mean you will feel satisfied and happy with what you put in your body. That takes time so just hang in there!

10613010.png
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation

This is not true and definitely not helpful SMH

"Clean" eating, as many have pointed out, is going back to basics and staying away from processed foods as much as possible. I personally wouldn't want to be 100% clean all the time only because there are dirty things I enjoy once in a while LOL

Do you research. Don't believe everything you read or hear. Everyone will claim to be experts but you are the only expert on your body. Find a balance that works for you. Don't deprive yourself. A true lifestyle change will eventually mean you will feel satisfied and happy with what you put in your body. That takes time so just hang in there!

10613010.png

Obviously you didn't read the thread. And that comment was 100% accurate. There is no such thing as clean food. Only food that one person thinks is clean. It's all opinion.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I rather fuel my body then just feed it, when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!

The only thing that truly "revs" up your metabolism is exercise... This notion that you can "rev" up your metabolism with food is nonsense.

Not entirely true. Lots of things will increase metabolism. Just not a boneless, skinless, chicken breast.

Oh, please tell.

We weren't sticking with food. Unless exercise is some sort of food I've never eaten....

But, coffee consumption has a measurable effect on metabolism. Small, but measurable. Still a food when last I checked.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I try and follow as close to Paleo nutrition as possible = try and eat as little or no processed food as possible. Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat. No grocery store bag food etc. I too have had great success with this down 40 pounds and 25 inches. I also watch my carb intake, but with working out we still need 150g minimum or so porbably more for a guy. Good Luck on continued sucess!!! You got this! Read the websit "Mark's Daily Apple".

Sandy
    LOL.

If a caveman was alive today, what would he eat? Other than whatever grass he could pull out of your front lawn, leaves from any trees, fruits, berries, and nuts, he'd slaughter the closest animal he could kill, then eat it raw, meat, bone marrow, brain, kidneys, liver, intestines, stomach, all of it.

Have fun "eating like a caveman."

Well, they did have this thing called "fire"...

Newsflash: People do hunt animals and there are people who eat everything you just mentioned above. Ever hear of tripe? Sweetbreads? And yeah, some restaurants serve marrow. In fact the place I go to on Friday nights has it on the menu as an appetizer. My husband tried it. Said it was pretty tasteless.

And I like most of my meat on the extremely rare side, as in wipe it clean and toss it on the plate.

So . . . your point was what?
    You eat them all raw? Paleolithic man didn't cook until relatively recently in historical terms. I'm well aware of what is and isn't food, but a modern day "caveman" would be most likely to eat the squirrel, stray cat, or raccoon in your front yard, not farm raised cattle or pigs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But, coffee consumption has a measurable effect on metabolism. Small, but measurable. Still a food when last I checked.

Yes. Same as caffeine pills, Red Bull, Coca-Cola, etc.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as clean food. Only food that one person thinks is clean. It's all opinion.

Truth. :)
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Ehhh... Eating more increases your metabolism... That doesn't mean you should, as you'll likely gain weight for the increased metabolic effect, but the point remains.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't increase your metabolism measurably. It's the weight you gain from eating more that increases your metabolism.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just seen from a clean eater in another thread:

"By all means, continue eating your processed foods. Diet yourself to death, but don't say nobody warned you."
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

"By all means, continue eating your processed foods. Diet yourself to death, but don't say nobody warned you."
    I saw that. :laugh: MFP is sparkling with many such (Jillian Michaels inspired?) gems today.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Except for vampires and zombies and those that die from lack of a diet, don't we all diet ourselves to death?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Except for vampires and zombies and those that die from lack of a diet, don't we all diet ourselves to death?

Zombies eat! Hella ATKINS, bro!
  • J72FIT
    Options
    when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!

So I can reiterate my point... this ^^^ will not rev up, jump start, kick start etc the metabolism.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Oh, please tell.

We weren't sticking with food. Unless exercise is some sort of food I've never eaten....

Now you are being a smart **S.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Oh, please tell.

Now you are being a smart **S.

Factual.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I didn't miss any growing up. I just didn't miss kindergarten. Nor do I feel the need to hurt or insult people for sport.
    What you think is a fact. Voicing it to people who eat it and like it - especially when it has no bearing on the topic at hand and was introduced as a red herring - is rude behavior.

And no one other than you suggested that the implication behind you not liking your bosses food was that you didn't like her or that your opinion of one another's food was any relation to your opinion of one another. On the contrary, it says nothing about her that you think her food is gross and tell her, but it says a lot about your class, and lack thereof.

I'm not hurting anyone or insulting anyone for sport.

I think X food is gross and crocs are ugly. it's not a sport- it's my opinion. It's not like I walk around announcing things I can't stand like I have turrets- I mean sometime I do- like I can't stand people who drive in the passing lane none stop and block traffic- people who talk on cell phones in movies.

If it comes up- I say something- but I don't walk by people's plates in the chow hall and go- that's gross- that's gross- that looks delicious that's gross- oh that's amazing. If it comes up- it comes up. It came up.

You made a big deal- or someone did about how we all go about insulting people and it had nothing to do with PEOPLE- just their dietary preferences. Big difference- talk about a red herring- I was replying to a comment- I didn't start this line of thinking- but I think it's only fair to state that I don't give a crap what anyone eats- but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit there and go "oh that looks delicious"
    no.

kale is gross. that's my opinion and it doesn't matter if my best friend is eating it or the person I hate worst in this world. It's completely NOT RELATED AT ALL to the person who is consuming it.

And that was the EXACT implication- we are all rude and insulting people... because we don't like that food. Far be it for me to defend myself when someone says I'm attacking someone and culturally insensitive because I don't like a generic tasteless food from the eastern seaboard and the south. Braised/Collard greens- just not my thing. period. its' gross- tastes funny and has a weird texture. It has nothing to do with what I think about the people who eat them. Two totally different subjects.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Eating more doesn't increase your metabolism measurably. It's the weight you gain from eating more that increases your metabolism.

So when I upped my calories when I was at a plateau, how did I lose the last 4 lbs and gain more energy?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Zombies eat! Hella ATKINS, bro!

They don't eat to death.