How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The people on the "eat clean" side of this debate have it exactly backwards. It's the clean eaters who constantly tell others that the food they eat will give them cancer, heart disease, etc. It's the clean eaters who constantly shame the actual foods that other people eat.

The rest of us are trying to free people from the tyranny of "this bad food that you love will kill you." It's madness.

It's not about insulting people whose views are different. It's about attacking pseudoscience and nonsense and food phobia.

Well the post I was replying to clearly stated that "clean eaters are obnoxious" so how is that not insulting people who's views are different? I disagree that clean eaters are constantly food shaming those who choose to eat junk food. I can't understand why people would want to eat junk food all the time but it's your choice. I don't know about anyone else but when I say "I eat clean because XYZ" it doesn't mean that I think you should too, it's a simple statement, not a judgement about you or anything else.

As for clean eating being "pseudoscience and nonsense" I honestly don't think there is a definitive "truth" either way - every piece of information on this planet is theory, not fact, and it is up to each individual to read and make their own decisions for themselves. For all I know McDonalds could be the cure for cancer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Your mistake is thinking that "I eat clean because XYZ" is about all the clean eaters say.

Here's a very partial list from this very thread of things clean eaters said that deserve to be called out:

"Clean eating typically increases performance"
    "But that should only be a concern if you want healthy skin, hair, longevity and **** like that."
    "There are some chemicals/minerals/ingredients that push back on measurements and visual results "
    "I do not want to be sitting in a nursing home at 68 crapping myself"
    "You wouldn't put low octane dirty fuel into a Ferrari would you? So why fuel your body with low octane, dirty food?"
    "I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body"

This is just from the few pages of this thread I looked at. Other clean eating threads contain much much more. Fast food threads attract clean eaters saying that eating McDonald's will "rot your insides" or "give you cancer." Or "wait 20 years and you'll be dead from that" and similar things.

This isn't all clean eaters, of course. But as a group, "clean eaters" rail against specific foods, making specious claims about the superiority of eating clean. The rest of us say those claims are simply untrue BS meant to instill fear.

There's nothing wrong with veggies and chicken and fruit, or whatever. I strongly recommend people eat plenty of veggies and lean meats, for instance. But I don't want anyone to think that a hamburger from McDonald's is going to give them cancer, or that it's for some reason "a bad food" they should not consume. That's stupid.

This is all about enabling people to eat foods they love, and teaching them to do it in a healthy and moderate way. At the end of the day, it's the totality of the diet that is healthy or not. There are no inherently good or bad foods, and my problem is with "clean eaters" telling people that certain foods are inherently bad.

If someone wants to eat clean for whatever reason, that's fine. The only problem comes in when they say some BS like "Taco Bell will ruin your health."
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means eating no processed foods or minimally processed foods. Lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, cheese.

I think a vegan would disagree...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on.

What does this even mean?

considering kale is absolutely the most disgusting thing pushed on us by the "health food" guru's I'm all about dorito's and bugers.

*kitten* eating kale. that *kitten* is nasty.

Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

If you read this thread in its entirety, along with all the other threads that feature healthy food you will clearly see that it is not the clean eaters who are the obnoxious ones. I have not seen one single post where anyone has been insulting or rude to those people who choose to eat junk food, but plenty where junk food eaters feel they have the right to insult those of us who choose to avoid processed foods and eat healthy. I mean what's up with that? Eat all the junk food you like no one really cares but at least have the common decency and manners not to insult people who may have different views to yours. If you can't hold a civilised discussion on a public board without resorting to personal attacks and insults you might want to think about getting some psychological counselling or something.

I can only assume that you subconsciously feel threatened by any person who has differing views and opinions to you because you know your views are not the be all and end all truth and you don't have the language or social skills to communicate with other people.

The OP was asking how people eat clean, if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, and believe me you don't, then shove off and let the grown ups talk.

The people on the "eat clean" side of this debate have it exactly backwards. It's the clean eaters who constantly tell others that the food they eat will give them cancer, heart disease, etc. It's the clean eaters who constantly shame the actual foods that other people eat.

The rest of us are trying to free people from the tyranny of "this bad food that you love will kill you." It's madness.

It's not about insulting people whose views are different. It's about attacking pseudoscience and nonsense and food phobia.

...and also possibly helping a newbie just looking for some direction not get sucked up by the madness.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Clean eating has so many different meanings to so many different people that it really has no meaning in the end. Instead why not just say, "eat a nutrient dense diet"? In the end, isn't that one of the main driving factors to why we eat... to provide our bodies with nutrients? Once your needs have been met (depending on your goals and health status), if you have calories left over, I can see no harm filling them with whatever you like.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Well the post I was replying to clearly stated that "clean eaters are obnoxious" so how is that not insulting people who's views are different? I disagree that clean eaters are constantly food shaming those who choose to eat junk food. I can't understand why people would want to eat junk food all the time but it's your choice. I don't know about anyone else but when I say "I eat clean because XYZ" it doesn't mean that I think you should too, it's a simple statement, not a judgement about you or anything else.

As for clean eating being "pseudoscience and nonsense" I honestly don't think there is a definitive "truth" either way - every piece of information on this planet is theory, not fact, and it is up to each individual to read and make their own decisions for themselves. For all I know McDonalds could be the cure for cancer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Your mistake is thinking that "I eat clean because XYZ" is about all the clean eaters say.

Here's a very partial list from this very thread of things clean eaters said that deserve to be called out:

"Clean eating typically increases performance"
    "But that should only be a concern if you want healthy skin, hair, longevity and **** like that."
    "There are some chemicals/minerals/ingredients that push back on measurements and visual results "
    "I do not want to be sitting in a nursing home at 68 crapping myself"
    "You wouldn't put low octane dirty fuel into a Ferrari would you? So why fuel your body with low octane, dirty food?"
    "I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body"

This is just from the few pages of this thread I looked at. Other clean eating threads contain much much more. Fast food threads attract clean eaters saying that eating McDonald's will "rot your insides" or "give you cancer." Or "wait 20 years and you'll be dead from that" and similar things.

This isn't all clean eaters, of course. But as a group, "clean eaters" rail against specific foods, making specious claims about the superiority of eating clean. The rest of us say those claims are simply untrue BS meant to instill fear.

There's nothing wrong with veggies and chicken and fruit, or whatever. I strongly recommend people eat plenty of veggies and lean meats, for instance. But I don't want anyone to think that a hamburger from McDonald's is going to give them cancer, or that it's for some reason "a bad food" they should not consume. That's stupid.

This is all about enabling people to eat foods they love, and teaching them to do it in a healthy and moderate way. At the end of the day, it's the totality of the diet that is healthy or not. There are no inherently good or bad foods, and my problem is with "clean eaters" telling people that certain foods are inherently bad.

If someone wants to eat clean for whatever reason, that's fine. The only problem comes in when they say some BS like "Taco Bell will ruin your health."

All of this would be so much more impressive if Americans didn't have the most processed diets, the most options, the best healthcare, and darn atrocious overall health on avergae. Eh, it's probably bad genes.:wink:

We have really, really lost sight of the fact that someone came here looking for advice on pursuing a goal that would in no way harm the OP and instead of either A) helping the OP pusrsue that goal or B) saying nothing if you had nothing nice to say it became a free for all of idiocy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    We have really, really lost sight of the fact that someone came here looking for advice on pursuing a goal that would in no way harm the OP and instead of either A) helping the OP pusrsue that goal or B) saying nothing if you had nothing nice to say it became a free for all of idiocy.

Actually, the "goal" of "eatingg clean" has derailed many people trying to lose weight. By setting many foods one loves as "bad" or "off-limits" you set yourself up for failure. It takes an enormous act of willpower to simply not eat foods you love. Some people can do it long term. Most can't. By not eating these foods, you set yourself up for two things:

1) Feeling guilty when that willpower finally gives out and you eat the pizza/Chalupa/whatever
    2) Bingeing on the food and/or falling back into old eating patterns because you never learned to consume the food responsibly.

Teaching abstinence works about as well for food as it does for sex. A Frosty is not "cheating" and it's not "bad."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    well I am back, and I see that Jo-Rockas has pretty much cleared this up for me...

The original person said they avoid "sugar" which would mean they would have to avoid all of those foods...hence, my point being that they must only eat meat and oils. That person is free to come back and clarify what they meant...

Then again, you are doing a rather amusing job of trying to divine their intentions...

Because this sentence " they would have to avoid all of those foods" is 100% false.

well if they are avoiding sugar then they would as all those break down as sugar in your body...

Fiber
  • Greytfish
    Options

Actually, the "goal" of "eatingg clean" has derailed many people trying to lose weight. By setting many foods one loves as "bad" or "off-limits" you set yourself up for failure. It takes an enormous act of willpower to simply not eat foods you love. Some people can do it long term. Most can't. By not eating these foods, you set yourself up for two things:

1) Feeling guilty when that willpower finally gives out and you eat the pizza/Chalupa/whatever
    2) Bingeing on the food and/or falling back into old eating patterns because you never learned to consume the food responsibly.

Teaching abstinence works about as well for food as it does for sex. A Frosty is not "cheating" and it's not "bad."

So, really, your issue isn't with the "clean eating" but with the bizarre mentality motivating some people and the process by which they modify their eating, which we know occurs in everything from the vegan to paleo to gluten free to clean eating to you-could-just-eat-all-your-meals-at-McDonalds camps.......

The differences between consuming food and sex are vast. But, for this analogy, there's a biological imperative for sex and reproduction, and even for consumption of food. There is no such imperative for Taco Bell or a Frosty.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I would also bet that no caveman died of heart disease, diabetes or cancer either.

they didnt have time in their lifespan to develop "those" diseases because they were already dying in theri 20's from other diseases... did "evil, processed" foods cause their life expectancy to be between the ages of 20-30??? ive already outlived the typical caveman, and i eat foods that are so evil i would make satan blush at a dinner table...
  • jonnythan
    Options

So, really, your issue isn't with the "clean eating" but with the bizarre mentality motivating some people and the process by which they modify their eating, which we know occurs in everything from the vegan to paleo to gluten free to clean eating to you-could-just-eat-all-your-meals-at-McDonalds camps.......

The differences between consuming food and sex are vast. But, for this analogy, there's a biological imperative for sex and reproduction, and even for consumption of food. There is no such imperative for Taco Bell or a Frosty.

I've been more than exceptionally clear what my issue is.

My issue is with people making false claims and spreading misinformation. This misinformation and BS has the ultimate effect of making people fail in their efforts through the mechanism of unnecessary guilt from abstention and failed willpower.

Addendum: the idea that there's a "eat all your meals at McDonald's" camp is a straight-up lie told by the clean eaters group. It's the same tired, boring, stupid, false "if you eat nothing but pizza you won't be healthy" crap.
  • Greytfish
    Options

My issue is with people making false claims and spreading misinformation. This misinformation and BS has the ultimate effect of making people fail in their efforts through the mechanism of unnecessary guilt from abstention and failed willpower.

Addendum: the idea that there's a "eat all your meals at McDonald's" camp is a straight-up lie told by the clean eaters group. It's the same tired, boring, stupid, false "if you eat nothing but pizza you won't be healthy" crap.

You must have missed the zillion McDonald's threads.

The real issue has nothign to do with any diet - clean eating or otherwise - but that people who've made a habit of eating dysfunctionally tend to continue to do so. Doing so for a smaller volume may bring body habitus back into a normal BMI, but it doesn't affect the disordered thinking.

It's very interesting to note the contrast between athletes and former overeaters on the same topics.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You must have missed the zillion McDonald's threads.

The real issue has nothign to do with any diet - clean eating or otherwise - but that people who've made a habit of eating dysfunctionally tend to continue to do so. Doing so for a smaller volume may bring body habitus back into a normal BMI, but it doesn't affect the disordered thinking.

It's very interesting to note the contrast between athletes and former overeaters on the same topics.

In the zillions of McDonald's threads there contains no individual - not ONE - that says you can, let alone should, eat all your meals at McDonald's.

This is a straight-up lie. A gross straw man exaggeration that doesn't exist in reality by a long shot.

And yes the problem is that people have made a habit of eating dysfunctionally. The answer to dysfunctional eating is not to create lists of "approved" and "unapproved" foods. It's to learn how to eat functionally. That's literally what IIFYM is all about: using appropriate, healthy nutrient goals and learning how to eat to achieve those goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Came to see why this was still here.

Sees Jonnythan is handling business and has hit all nails squarely in the head.

Only wanting to address this

considering kale is absolutely the most disgusting thing pushed on us by the "health food" guru's I'm all about dorito's and bugers.

*kitten* eating kale. that *kitten* is nasty.

Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

If you read this thread in its entirety, along with all the other threads that feature healthy food you will clearly see that it is not the clean eaters who are the obnoxious ones. I have not seen one single post where anyone has been insulting or rude to those people who choose to eat junk food, but plenty where junk food eaters feel they have the right to insult those of us who choose to avoid processed foods and eat healthy. I mean what's up with that? Eat all the junk food you like no one really cares but at least have the common decency and manners not to insult people who may have different views to yours. If you can't hold a civilised discussion on a public board without resorting to personal attacks and insults you might want to think about getting some psychological counselling or something.

I can only assume that you subconsciously feel threatened by any person who has differing views and opinions to you because you know your views are not the be all and end all truth and you don't have the language or social skills to communicate with other people.

The OP was asking how people eat clean, if you have nothing intelligent to contribute, then move on without posting.

please point out where I insulted (or anyone actually) anyone for eating kale.

Because I didn't. I just said that food was disgusting. Along with collard greens. It's not delicious- it's awful. There is a difference between saying I thing a food is disgusting verses saying the person eating said food is disgusting because they are eating said food.

I didn't. I'm not threatened by people who eat kale. It is what it is- I think they have terrible taste- but I think lots of people have terrible tatse- have you been to Wal-mart lately? It is what it is. Terribly taste all over the place.

Just because I think your food is gross doesn't mean I am insulting you. I just think your food is gross- probably in the way I think your crocks are gross. still not an insult.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Because I didn't. I just said that food was disgusting. Along with collard greens. It's not delicious- it's awful. There is a difference between saying I thing a food is disgusting verses saying the person eating said food is disgusting because they are eating said food.

I didn't. I'm not threatened by people who eat kale. It is what it is- I think they have terrible taste- but I think lots of people have terrible tatse- have you been to Wal-mart lately? It is what it is. Terribly taste all over the place.

Just because I think your food is gross doesn't mean I am insulting you. I just think your food is gross- probably in the way I think your crocks are gross. still not an insult.

Passing everything else, that's abominably rude and incredibly culturally insensitive. Because you think what someone else eats is gross, doesn't mean you should say it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Passing everything else, that's abominably rude and incredibly culturally insensitive. Because you think what someone else eats is gross, doesn't mean you should say it.

I think kale is gross. I also think eating snails is gross. So are pickles, oysters, and crickets. I am rather comfortable saying these things, because they are my opinion. If you don't think snails are gross then good for you. I'm sure you think my McDouble Down is pretty gross too. I don't care what you think of my food.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    This is such a touchy subject with people and I dont know why!! I I just try to eat healthy . Instead of thorwing in premade dishes in the oven I make mine from scratch , grow my own vegetables and fruit and yes I will treat myself to something NON clean , but I rather fuel my body then just feed it, when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

incorrect.

It's not rude- it's just a fact. I think it's gross. You don't.
    I also think pink is an awful color.
    And I hate cottage cheese.
    My boss eats tofu- I think it's also gross and I tell her. She thinks my steak is gross.
    I love my boss- shes a great boss. She loves me- I'm a great employee and I am a valuable member of my team.

Fortunately we are both adult enough to know that my opinion of her food is not my opinion of her.

Clearly this is a message you missed growing up at some point.

and also this:
    I don't care what you think of my food.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    This is such a touchy subject with people and I dont know why!!

Really?

This is why:
    but I rather fuel my body then just feed it, when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!
  • Greytfish
    Options

incorrect.

It's not rude- it's just a fact. I think it's gross. You don't.
    I also think pink is an awful color.
    And I hate cottage cheese.
    My boss eats tofu- I think it's also gross and I tell her. She thinks my steak is gross.
    I love my boss- shes a great boss. She loves me- I'm a great employee and I am a valuable member of my team.

Fortunately we are both adult enough to know that my opinion of her food is not my opinion of her.

Clearly this is a message you missed growing up at some point.

I didn't miss any growing up. I just didn't miss kindergarten. Nor do I feel the need to hurt or insult people for sport.
    What you think is a fact. Voicing it to people who eat it and like it - especially when it has no bearing on the topic at hand and was introduced as a red herring - is rude behavior.

And no one other than you suggested that the implication behind you not liking your bosses food was that you didn't like her or that your opinion of one another's food was any relation to your opinion of one another. On the contrary, it says nothing about her that you think her food is gross and tell her, but it says a lot about your class, and lack thereof.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    This is such a touchy subject with people and I dont know why!!

Really?

This is why:
    but I rather fuel my body then just feed it, when combining the right foods I get more energy and it rev's up my metabolism!!

Your issue is that you feel judged by clean eaters?