HOW MUCH SUGAR IS TOO MUCH?

Options

Replies

• Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    (Roy Baumeister's Chocolate-and-Radish Experiment)

Interesting....

Assuming it's this deal here?
    http://my.psychologytoday.com/files/attachments/584/baumeisteretal1998.pdf

This looks like a good read. Thanks for posting about it, it's new to me anyways..

Sure, np. Yeah, the first time I was introduced to it I was like wow, I had no idea. The first thing I thought of was MFP and the different frustrations people go through. This may help explain why.

Nice post. :)

Tigersword posted, just sharing - http://www.cracked.com/article_20789_6-shocking-studies-that-prove-science-totally-broken.html/ - Hilariously awesome. ;)

HAHA! I know right? Thats pretty much the first chapter of Tim Ferriss' Book The 4 Hour Body
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Freaks come out of the woodwork when they hear the word sugar :huh:

Joanne, you definitely have balls starting a thread about sugar :wink:

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:
    You don't need scientific proof. Vegetables, fruits and lots of other carbs are basically sugar complexes. If eating it were toxic, don't you think even the "clean" eater should be dead by now? Toxic mean POISONOUS to the body if the dosage is high enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ninerbuff: "Toxic mean POISONOUS to the body if the dosage is high enough."

And that is exactly what we are talking about. Even water is toxic if taken in excess. Taking in 500 calories of added sugar every day is not natural nor is it safe long term. Why do you think the American Heart Association is now speaking out about the amount of sugar in the average diet. We have an epidemic of diseases that are highly linked to excessive sugar consumption. Many, many normal-weight seniors have high blood pressure, one cause of which, is high uric acid levels, to which, in turn, sugar consumption is linked. When I stopped eating added sugar, my blood pressure normalized. I no longer need medication. And lest you say that my weight loss caused the drop in blood pressure, I will counter that with the fact that, after I eliminated added sugar, my blood pressure normalized before I lost any significant amount of weight. And if you insist, "Not valid--anecdotal," I would ask you again, why the AHA has expressed concern about the amount of added sugar in the national diet?

Oh--and the man who ate 2000 calories a day of sugar and only 400 calories of real food? If he continued to eat that way after the demonstration I expect he is no longer in the land of the living.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fruit?? of course not. Sugar is made up of glucose and fructose and fructose is the problem. It is NOT metabolized as glucose is... Simplicity does not need to be complicated. A healthy diet is low in sugar and that way of eating helps one to lose weight and maintain an ideal weight.. plain and simple
    Really?

This equivalence is not surprising given that both of these sugars contain approximately equal amounts of fructose and glucose, contain the same number of calories, possess the same level of sweetness, and are absorbed identically through the gastrointestinal tract. Research comparing pure fructose with pure glucose, although interesting from a scientific point of view, has limited application to human nutrition given that neither is consumed to an appreciable degree in isolation in the human diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23493540

IDEA Fitness member

I guess we can go back and forth with articles. I prefer to refer to the gold standards.. with all due respect to the government, I'm with so many other Americans who feel that it has done us more harm than good with respect to the food we eat.

Fructose is metabolized in the liver... too much is the result of obesity in this country and many others and many others coming down the line

THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION... http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/895.full
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Taking in 500 calories of added sugar every day is not natural nor is it safe long term.

The Swiss consume approximately 140g/day of added sugar, on average. That is 550 calories from added sugars. They are also some of the longest-lived people on the planet.

New Zealanders also consume about that much added sugar, and live just about as long. Add in Belgium and Malta, as well.

Your statement therefore cannot be taken at face value.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options

I agree with you Joanne, added sugar is toxic. If someone has scientific proof to back up that it's not, I would honestly love to see it. Thank you :smile:
    You don't need scientific proof. Vegetables, fruits and lots of other carbs are basically sugar complexes. If eating it were toxic, don't you think even the "clean" eater should be dead by now? Toxic mean POISONOUS to the body if the dosage is high enough.

IDEA Fitness member

And that is exactly what we are talking about. Even water is toxic if taken in excess. Taking in 500 calories of added sugar every day is not natural nor is it safe long term. Why do you think the American Heart Association is now speaking out about the amount of sugar in the average diet. We have an epidemic of diseases that are highly linked to excessive sugar consumption. Many, many normal-weight seniors have high blood pressure, one cause of which, is high uric acid levels, to which, in turn, sugar consumption is linked. When I stopped eating added sugar, my blood pressure normalized. I no longer need medication. And lest you say that my weight loss caused the drop in blood pressure, I will counter that with the fact that, after I eliminated added sugar, my blood pressure normalized before I lost any significant amount of weight. And if you insist, "Not valid--anecdotal," I would ask you again, why the AHA has expressed concern about the amount of added sugar in the national diet?

Oh--and the man who ate 2000 calories a day of sugar and only 400 calories of real food? If he continued to eat that way after the demonstration I expect he is no longer in the land of the living.

I want to be understood that sugar is not toxic.... the amount that the average american is eating is toxic
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    (Roy Baumeister's Chocolate-and-Radish Experiment)

Interesting....

Assuming it's this deal here?
    http://my.psychologytoday.com/files/attachments/584/baumeisteretal1998.pdf

This looks like a good read. Thanks for posting about it, it's new to me anyways..

"Ego Depletion", Freud (whose theories contributed to the experiment), and psychology, in general, are all BS.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I want to be understood that sugar is not toxic.... the amount that the average american is eating is toxic

Americans aren't even top-20 for consumption of refined sugar, and many of the countries that consume more than the US have noticeably better health outcomes for their populations.

Your claim is not supported by the facts.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you. I am just trying to help people who are unaware of the danger... For some reason, the subject of sugar is a very, very touchy one.... very similar to what happened with cigarettes... not until the danger was put on the label did everyone sort of fade away. It will just take time but the word is spreading very fast, which I am happy about.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Taking in 500 calories of added sugar every day is not natural nor is it safe long term.

The Swiss consume approximately 140g/day of added sugar, on average. That is 550 calories from added sugars. They are also some of the longest-lived people on the planet.

New Zealanders also consume about that much added sugar, and live just about as long. Add in Belgium and Malta, as well.

Your statement therefore cannot be taken at face value.

I suppose you can prove those statements? How about the history of their sugar-habit? Is it, like ours, a post-WWII experiment? (And it should be remembered that Europeans, in general, have been late to the sugar party as, for a number of years after WWII, their biggest problem was getting enough calories in general.) Lastly, there is some evidence that higher activity levels offset SOME of the deleterious effects of eating sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fruit?? of course not. Sugar is made up of glucose and fructose and fructose is the problem. It is NOT metabolized as glucose is... Simplicity does not need to be complicated. A healthy diet is low in sugar and that way of eating helps one to lose weight and maintain an ideal weight.. plain and simple
    Really?

This equivalence is not surprising given that both of these sugars contain approximately equal amounts of fructose and glucose, contain the same number of calories, possess the same level of sweetness, and are absorbed identically through the gastrointestinal tract. Research comparing pure fructose with pure glucose, although interesting from a scientific point of view, has limited application to human nutrition given that neither is consumed to an appreciable degree in isolation in the human diet.

IDEA Fitness member

I guess we can go back and forth with articles. I prefer to refer to the gold standards.. with all due respect to the government, I'm with so many other Americans who feel that it has done us more harm than good with respect to the food we eat.

Fructose is metabolized in the liver... too much is the result of obesity in this country and many others and many others coming down the line

THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION... http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/895.full

Where does that article say what you are implying it says?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The amount of food in general that the average american is eating ( (and the lack of activity) is toxic as well then.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Have you ever seen or heard of an autopsy report that sited cause of death as 'acute sugar toxicity'?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing it again. Getting hung up on semantics of "what is the definition of toxic" and avoiding the issue at hand.
    Why do you think the American Heart Association is now speaking out about the amount of sugar in the average diet.

According to them, in the link I posted before, it's only because too much added sugar tends to result in a lot of calories with no nutritional benefit - which tends to result in a surplus of calories and weight gain. They didn't say anything about it leading to any diseases or being toxic or anything else. They said eating too much makes you fat, and too much added sugar can contribute to eating too much. That's all.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Really?

IDEA Fitness member

Gold standard? That wasn't a study. Bray believes we live in a toxic world.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    How about the history of their sugar-habit? Is it, like ours, a post-WWII experiment? (And it should be remembered that Europeans, in general, have been late to the sugar party as, for a number of years after WWII, their biggest problem was getting enough calories in general.)

I was unaware history began in 1945. Global sugar consumption ramped up in the 18th century, and the US was *late* to that party - western Europeans were well ahead of them. In addition, the largest increases in US sugar consumption came in the second half the 19th century, not "post WW2".

There isn't a single fact to support your claims, and you aren't doing your argument any favours by pulling easily disprovable factoids out of thin air.
    Lastly, there is some evidence that higher activity levels offset SOME of the deleterious effects of eating sugar.

Oh, there we go, the goal post shift has begun in earnest...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You guys are doing it again. Getting hung up on semantics of "what is the definition of toxic" and avoiding the issue at hand.
    Why do you think the American Heart Association is now speaking out about the amount of sugar in the average diet.

According to them, in the link I posted before, it's only because too much added sugar tends to result in a lot of calories with no nutritional benefit - which tends to result in a surplus of calories and weight gain. They didn't say anything about it leading to any diseases or being toxic or anything else. They said eating too much makes you fat, and too much added sugar can contribute to eating too much. That's all.

To add to this. Table sugar (as compared to say sugars in fruit as that has fiber) is not that satiating. As such, people can easily consume a lot when eating ad lib. Most people on here are not eating ad lib.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I stopped eating added sugar, my blood pressure normalized. I no longer need medication. And lest you say that my weight loss caused the drop in blood pressure, I will counter that with the fact that, after I eliminated added sugar, my blood pressure normalized before I lost any significant amount of weight.

I wish that worked for me. I've pretty much eliminated added sugar from my diet. BP didn't go down. My doctor wanted me to go on a second medication. But since it's reported to have side effects I don't much like, I'm holding off for a couple of weeks. It seems that as my weight goes down, so does my BP. Hoping if I can get it down a bit more, the one medication will be enough to keep it in check. But I am ALWAYS interested in hearing what has helped people get the BP down. I'll give about anything a shot if it doesn't sound foolish or dangerous.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    oh, yeah?
    well, yo MOMMA Is toxic!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Options
    Really?

IDEA Fitness member

I am not implying the article says anything. I posted it as a very reliable source.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Really?

IDEA Fitness member

I am not implying the article says anything. I posted it as a very reliable source.
    Source of what exactly.