So this was something new today

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
I was passing by the front desk this morning and an elderly gentleman was complaining about the locker room. He was a newer member and said that the "gay" males that are members should have a separate area instead of being in the general population. I've never ever really thought about it.............................till I overheard this this morning. I still have to see how our general manager handled it (I was on my way to train a client).

So does it make you feel uncomfortable to have someone you know who's gay in the locker room around you?

Me...........no. I have lots of male friends who are gay and I'm comfortable around them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't care go ahead and look.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I'm not sure how I would even know if someone was gay unless they came twirling in and announced it. :huh:

With that said, at the gym where my husband used to go there were complaints about the gay men showering together and performing sexual acts in the bathrooms.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Being a woman, I would rather be around gay males.... that being said, I don't care if there are lesbians in the locker room either... but then I also don't ask so I don't see why any one would have a reason to tell me one way or the other unless they are a) related to me or b) my friend.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How did he even know they were gay?

And Maximus - what about bisexuals? Seems to me we are going to need a lot of locker rooms!

ETA: straight male; no problems with sharing a locker room
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest.. I would feel uncomfortable in the showers.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't care, personally.

If someone thinks I'm attractive no matter what sexual orientation they are, that's a compliment!!!

Edited, because I wanted to say I see merit in the above responses so far, and I understand!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable with a gay individual being in the locker room of your child?

Of course. Gay DOES NOT mean pedophile. :noway:
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Honestly in my opinion doesn't matter - I think people in general get a little too comfortable in the locker room - it should not be your private area. There are showers and changing booths for full disrobing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Meh. Let's just have one big unisex locker room. Nudity for everyone.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Meh. Let's just have one big unisex locker room. Nudity for everyone.

^^This.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Are you comfortable with a gay individual being in the locker room of your child?

Of course. Gay DOES NOT mean pedophile. :noway:

And hetrosexual DOES NOT mean pedophile.... so you'd be ok with me going into your daughter's locker room?

No, but there's no reason for a male to be in a female changing room. Different body parts and all that. I assumed you were asking a gay individual of the same gender. I wouldn't have a single issue with a lesbian woman in the locker room with my daughter, or a gay man in a locker room with my son. I would have an issue with a man of any sexual orientation being in a female locker room, and vice versa.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is worth questioning why we separate the sexes in the first place.

Everyone seems to think it is because we don't won't to be looked at by someone who is sexually attracted to our gender, but there are other considerations. Even in same sex locker rooms often complain about having to see what others don't cover up as quickly as they might like. Transgender folks tend to feel uncomfortable being forced to use a public bathroom that does not correspond to their identification, much less a locker room.

As long as no one is commenting, trying to fondle me, or calling attention to themselves by swinging their dangly parts (hey, I am over 40, they rather dangle) while trying to make eye contact, I couldn't care less. If someone is doing that, they are in the wrong and should be kicked out of the gym, if not arrested. Same for the ones performing sexual acts in public showers.

It does make me wonder why he brought it up in the first place. If it is because he is afraid of being found attractive, he needs to grow up (have you seen that meme about homophobia being the fear that men will treat you like you treat women?) If people were acting inappropriately in the locker room, then they need to be dealt with.

If you find me in any locker room shimmying naked while trying to make eye contact with you, feel free to call the men in white coats. I only do that at private parties.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just not ok showering around anyone...lmao! Gay or straight...
    But I certainly wouldn't want anyone having sex in the the locker room... goodness... I know we all go to the gym to workout... but let's keep those workouts out of the public areas!! lol!

I guess I'm just old fashioned... I shower alone ... at the gym! lol!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    How did he even know they were gay?

And Maximus - what about bisexuals? Seems to me we are going to need a lot of locker rooms!

ETA: straight male; no problems with sharing a locker room

Or .. Just one locker room.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm bisexual. I do my best to respect other people's privacy and avoid looking at people in the communal changing rooms - it's not cool to ogle people in a state of undress. And I'm certainly not going to make any advances on people who are showering/changing...that's just creepy.

It does make ME a bit uncomfortable because I know that I'm attracted to women, so I subconsciously feel that they assume that I'm looking at them. Obviously, that's nonsense (because there is no way of them knowing my sexuality, and I keep myself to myself) but it still makes me feel a bit awkward.

Edit: I'd totally go for cubicles if available, though. The assurance that nobody staring at my flab is always a bonus!