So this was something new today

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that because gays are subjected to unfair things in life that I should be as well. That theory defeats itself immediately.

So, do you think you deserve more "special treatment" just because you don't feel comfortable naked?
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if the person is gay, lesbian, or bi and in the same locker room with me. They are people like everyone else and deserve the right to be in the locker room too. Do I think that just because they are gay, lesbian, or bi they are going to look at me or everyone with this kind of grin :bigsmile: no, I don't. Besides I am not comfortable being naked around anyone so I use the bathroom stall to change and I take showers at home.

If someone feels uncomfortable changing or showering in front of a possible gay, lesbian, or bi person then don't. Change in the bathroom and shower at home like I do... problem solved!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It would be possible to look. That makes me uncomfortable.

Get over yourself.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sounding like locker rooms aren't for everyone...
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. I feel the same way. There are always exceptions, social rule-breakers, and that possibility alone makes me uncomfortable.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that because gays are subjected to unfair things in life that I should be as well. That theory defeats itself immediately.

Someone call the human rights commission. We can't let your horrific oppression continue any longer. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people are cool with it. I'm not, and I shouldn't have to be.

you're welcome to not use the locker room

This really is the right answer. I mean, it's not that different from my discomfort with the dude who insists on walking around naked for 10 minutes. Not really his problem, it's mine. I could chose not to use the locker room. (But in reality, I was just making lighthearted banter. Yeah, it does kinda bug me, but not enough to go home in sweaty clothes.)
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

Get over yourself.

+1
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mzx793Mf7a1tq3pzao1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n0lcm1RuMc1t0zofho1_500.png
    tumblr_n0jaud6xPy1r6tgm6o1_500.png
  • Manrahan
    Options

Get over yourself.

Bingo.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. I feel the same way. There are always exceptions, social rule-breakers, and that possibility alone makes me uncomfortable.

Who are the social rule breakers?

I understand someone who robs people at gunpoint being a "social rule breaker". But people in a gym locker room who happen to have a different sexual preference in the privacy of their own homes does not compute to me.

How do you know your best friend isn't sleeping with the same sex? You don't. You really have no say in how people live their private sexual lives. The locker room is not a sexually charged place by any stretch of the imagination.

They don't even serve booze. :ohwell:
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Couldn't care less. The locker rooms have been shared forever already with those who are not out. Now if there's obvious staring and gawking it would be different.

I take full advantage of the facilities including the steam room, dry sauna and showers. I get my money's worth. Never had any issues and I'm pretty sure there were a few gay guys in there over the years.
  • Manrahan
    Options
    You are exactly right however our society discriminates against the heterosexual male.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    How did he even know they were gay?

And Maximus - what about bisexuals? Seems to me we are going to need a lot of locker rooms!

ETA: straight male; no problems with sharing a locker room

You're right. Right now, from a locker room level, women are protected from men who are sexually attracted to them. Why aren't men afforded that same luxury?

And to the others on this thread.... take this to another level... Are you comfortable with a gay individual being in the locker room of your child?

I don't have any problem with gays in the locker room, long as they, like everyone else, keep it to them selves.

What bugs me are the guys who "hang out" in the locker room and insist on spending an eternity standing around buck naked. Seems like there's always one guy. Dude, I'm glad you are comfortable with your body, but don't swing that thing at me, gay straight or otherwise.
    Nope, don't care one bit. If a gay guy is attracted to me in a locker room...so what? I'll let the insecure folks of the world worry about that.

So you're cool if I go into your wife's locker room? I mean, surely she isn't insecure about that.

In theory, there shouldn't be any issue with a co-ed locker room. As long as you kept the same "rules" I assume for a gay man in the guys locker room. If someone in there is gay, I assume I'd get in and out without ever knowing.

In practice, I doubt it would go as smoothly in a co-ed locker room.

You are exactly right however our society discriminates against the heterosexual male.

especially us white ones!

Its so hard in todays society to be a heteroseual male :(
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    I am gay. There is nothing more uncomfortable to me than changing in a locker room. Not because I'm gay, not because there are women undressing in front of me. I'm uncomfortable because there is nothing LESS SEXY than being in that situation, worried people will wonder if you are looking. Everyone sneaks a peak now and then, gay or not, its a matter of curiosity and comparing yourself to someone else. I have never ogled or wanted to look in a sexual way at anyone in the locker room. I gather most gay people probably feel the same way. I do the "look straight forward, get in and get out" approach for this reason. Gay people have plenty of places to "get a free show", believe me the stinky locker room is not high on the list.

But it's so much more awesome than that in movies.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

It is literally possible for anyone to do anything to anyone at any time! It might be a good long term strategy to work on your anxiety and reduce feelings of uncomfortableness (which I can only assume must be ever-present due to the constant threat posed by those exceptions and rule breakers).
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'd be a little uncomfortable just because that's not my thing but then I got to thinking about it and if it's ok to have gay and straight genders in the same locker, why do we even care about having separate gender lockers? Sort of defeats the purpose right? I'd think a gay male/female is just as likely to check out their preferred gender as straight male/females tend to check out the opposite gender. Perhaps it's the fact that we split everything up that makes our society so incapable of controlling our hormones to begin with?
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a ton of valid counterarguments here, so I rest my case. It seems we're resorting to petty insults and anonymous disrespect, neither of which suit me.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

I know! I can barely make it from my upscale neighborhood to my six figure job without the Gay, Illegal, Black police pulling me over for "suspicion of being straight"! lol