I have a slow metabolism

Options
1235»

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea patients lose weight from cpap. There is something going on there. I had an Army soldier lose 50 lbs without trying when he got on cpap.

That's because they are now getting good, restful sleep.
    Sleep deprivation makes you crave carbs (for the blood glucose spike) and you overeat.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Psysix
    Psysix Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree. I always thought I must have a slow metabolism too but a couple weeks ago I had a test done and found my metabolism is just below the normal mark, but still in the normal range. With diet and exercise, I'm sure I can get it above that number too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea patients lose weight from cpap. There is something going on there. I had an Army soldier lose 50 lbs without trying when he got on cpap.

How many? Were they tested for other potential medical issues or metabolic disorders? Most likely they started getting better sleep and started eating less.

There is an association between sleep apnea, sleepiness, inflammation, and insulin resistance, all promoting atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. If you reverse that by increasing sleep thereby decreasing sleepiness, reducing inflammation and reducing insulin resistance you improve cardiovascular condition.

There are studies where patients who face sleep restriction due to sleep apnea show increased plasma glucose, fasting insulin, total cholesterol, triglycerides and oxidative stress markers while HDL-cholesterol level and glucose tolerance were decreased. Combine that with increased carbohydrate intake to improve levels of serotonin, endorphins and glucose you have a recipe for weight gain. Increasing restful sleep could potentially reverse that with little effort.
  • usmcmp
    Options

How many? Were they tested for other potential medical issues or metabolic disorders? Most likely they started getting better sleep and started eating less.

There is an association between sleep apnea, sleepiness, inflammation, and insulin resistance, all promoting atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. If you reverse that by increasing sleep thereby decreasing sleepiness, reducing inflammation and reducing insulin resistance you improve cardiovascular condition.

There are studies where patients who face sleep restriction due to sleep apnea show increased plasma glucose, fasting insulin, total cholesterol, triglycerides and oxidative stress markers while HDL-cholesterol level and glucose tolerance were decreased. Combine that with increased carbohydrate intake to improve levels of serotonin, endorphins and glucose you have a recipe for weight gain. Increasing restful sleep could potentially reverse that with little effort.

can you cite the study?

I can't find the original (of course).

Here's one. It says that insulin resistance was increased, so I may have been wrong about that.
    *After 6 months on CPAP* CPAP effectively improved hypoxia. However, subjects had increased insulin and insulin resistance. Fasting ghrelin decreased significantly while leptin, adiponectin and resistin remained unchanged. Forty percent of patients gained weight significantly. Changes in body weight directly correlated with changes in insulin and IR.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3146428/

There is a similar experiment done on rats, but almost verbatum what I said for the outcome of sleep disruption. (*I do understand that rodent studies and trials are not able to directly translate to humans in many cases).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24486392

There is one about better subjective sleep quality increasing the likelihood of weight-loss success,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22402738

Trying a reverse search for it only yields results for weight loss helping sleep apnea, not sleep apnea causing weight loss. Rather, several articles talk about how CPAP may cause weight gain.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2546451/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24127141

Now that I've indulged you can we maybe move this discussion to a different post? It isn't exactly relevant to my OP.

My original post is about how many of us think we have a slow metabolism, but for the majority of the population it is a matter of under reporting food intake.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do have PCOS (verified by multiple blood tests and by ultrasound) but I am not a special snowflake either.. If I eat a lower carb diet and count calories and exercise, I can lose weight. If I quit losing weight, I have either started slacking on exercise/logging OR I have been eating way too many simple carbs

^^^ Whoa! Exact same boat here! ^^^
    And I never play the "slow metabolism" card, either! When I broke my leg, I also discovered I'm not "big boned" - quite the opposite actually. So, pretty much all my tired old excuses went right out the window. I totally know why I'm fat. And I know what I have to do to fix it. Now it's just about executing the plan correctly.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I can't decide if I was relieved or crushed when I realized that a) I don't have a slow metabolism, b) my frame really isn't that large, and c) my Dr was wrong when he told me that b/c of my PCOS it would be almost impossible for me to lose weight.
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump to watch video later
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if I was relieved or crushed when I realized that a) I don't have a slow metabolism, b) my frame really isn't that large, and c) my Dr was wrong when he told me that b/c of my PCOS it would be almost impossible for me to lose weight.

When anyone (doctors included) tells me I likely can't do, change, or improve something, well... that's all the motivation I need to prove them so very, very wrong. And if they are ultimately right (hasn't happened yet), well at least I can say I did everything I possibly could. (BTW: I lost 120 lbs *after* my diagnosis. So there, PCOS.)

Many people have health issues & disorders <pick your diagnosis>, but that doesn't mean they *have* us.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Yeah it's a bit sad when you realize that your metabolism is actually pretty good :laugh:

My frame IS large though. But down the road it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, I still have too much fat at 138 lbs... I just will never be able to fit in a S shirt (unless the brand also has XS, lol) or size 0 jeans (or 2.. or 4).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Bump!

Yeah it's a bit sad when you realize that your metabolism is actually pretty good :laugh:

My frame IS large though. But down the road it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, I still have too much fat at 138 lbs... I just will never be able to fit in a S shirt (unless the brand also has XS, lol) or size 0 jeans (or 2.. or 4).

By every measurement there is for frame size I had a large frame when I was over weight. Now that I have low body fat all of them say I have a medium/average frame.

I'm not concerned with the scale anymore though because I know (based on body fat) that I have more lean mass than most other women my height. I also will never fit into jeans smaller than 8 or wear women's size small. It's more about what I see in the mirror than scale or clothing size.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Growing up I thought I was cursed with a slow metabolism and "bad genes" because my family and I were fat. At the time I didn't understand we were big because of learned eating habits and I carried those habits into my adulthood. I was raised by my dad who thought it was perfectly normal for a ten year old to eat a dinner plate full of pasta or an entire pound of bacon. :laugh: He was a young single dad and he tried. Anyway, it wasn't until I started logging my food a few years ago and being honest with myself about my over eating, that I started to realize there was nothing wrong with me after all. I was fat because I ate too much. I no longer had the victim card to play and it was eye opening, in a good way. I am partially disabled and I have been through some major spine surgeries so I don't exercise much but I can still control my food. If I can do it anyone can :wink: