What to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I add it into my eggs as I cook them.

Fruit salads are also fantastic with grapes, apples, pecans, strawberries and a bit of cinnimon.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I seriously just eat it with a spoon. That's pretty much it. Nothing in it, nothing under it. Juuuust cottage cheese.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Eat it plain.

Mix it with peanut butter.

Mix it with maple syrup (all natural stuff I get at the amish food place).

Add fruit to it.

but seriously...just eat it plain......nommmmmm
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's ALLLL good.

I eat it plain. Or I do this.

Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
    Avocado diced
    Cucumber diced
    Fresh Cracked Pepper.
    YUMMMM
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I started topping my spaghetti with it, mixes well with the sauce. 4 percent ch is only 110 calories and super good just plain plus has 12 grams of protein.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mix with cut-up apple, raisins, walnuts/pecans, and cinnamon and put into a whole wheat pita. Its a really good lunch.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Personally I could eat it all day just by itself, but I LOVE it with blueberries and strawberries. Also pineapple!
    That's me. Plain or with fruit.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Throw it away. Gross.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat cottage cheese is either

Straight from the tub

Spread it onto rice cakes /oat cakes or ryvitas for lunch
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    tell me more of this mixing it with tuna- do you do that warmed up or cold? I never would have thought to try such a thing but it sounds like people think it is yummy?

I used to make sandwiches of it, just some cottage cheese on bread. Though now I like the large curd 4% all by itself or wrapped up by some nice green lettuce. I don't think the loss in fat/taste is worth the calorie reduction for the lower fat varieties.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Add into scrambled eggs
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will add cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sweetner (of choice) to about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, and broil on toast until slightly brown. Top with crushed pineapple or fruit of choice.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    breakfast the last two days has been lowfat cottage cheese with pomegranate seeds... yummy explosions of pom flavor!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to enjoy cottage cheese is with a spoonful of fresh, HOT salsa stirred in. YUM!
  • jeancl
    Options
    For a quick breakfast or snack I've been having it with slices of banana and a drizzle of honey on top.
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Blend it with two eggs and scramble. Delicious!
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Blend it with two eggs and scramble. Delicious!

^^^^ THIS! Throw 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and two eggs in a blender to scramble - then make your eggs. You'll get a light, airy, and cheesy omelette out of it.
  • CEThornton
    Options
    i have a great Mac n Cheese recipe that uses Cottage Cheese as the base for the sauce!

8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
    1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk, divided
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
    Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
    Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat ( 6 g sat ); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Love It --- with Coarse red pepper and/or Cracked Blk pepper, at room temperature. Alone as a snack or as a side, happy you are enjoying this great source of protein!