Options

Replies

• HanaNikki
    Options
    Eat it with khaki, some honey, almond slices and cinnamon <3
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    tell me more of this mixing it with tuna- do you do that warmed up or cold? I never would have thought to try such a thing but it sounds like people think it is yummy?

I used to make sandwiches of it, just some cottage cheese on bread. Though now I like the large curd 4% all by itself or wrapped up by some nice green lettuce. I don't think the loss in fat/taste is worth the calorie reduction for the lower fat varieties.
    I seriously love the large curd 4%
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i have a great Mac n Cheese recipe that uses Cottage Cheese as the base for the sauce!

8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
    1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup nonfat milk, divided
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
    Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
    Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat ( 6 g sat ); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
    Sounds great.
  • venitaallen
    venitaallen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mix pinapple or add fresh tomatoe with a side salad salt & pepper
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Eat it plain.

Mix it with peanut butter.

Mix it with maple syrup (all natural stuff I get at the amish food place).

Add fruit to it.

but seriously...just eat it plain......nommmmmm
    Peanut butter with cottage cheese somehow tastes amazing but is quite disturbing visually
    Wreaks havoc on my stomach though

Go with large curd full fat...fat free cottage cheese is just a chemical food abomination
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    throw it in the trash.

just my opinion.
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I add cottage cheese to my morning smoothie.
    It's cheaper then protein powder - and when you blend it with frozen fruit and some sweetener it gives it a cheesecake quality.
    It's amazing!!!
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My favorite has always been fruit. Particularly pineapple. Yum!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I add cottage cheese to my morning smoothie.
    It's cheaper then protein powder - and when you blend it with frozen fruit and some sweetener it gives it a cheesecake quality.
    It's amazing!!!
    YUMMY idea...THANKS! :flowerforyou:
  • MaJacobs75
    Options
    I use it as a snack, either with a few slices of fruit (peaches works best with it) or mix in some oatmeal.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Breakfast or snack: Sugar substitute and cinnamon.

Dessert: 1 packet sugar free jello, one container Cool Whip, and a fruit combo. For example strawberry jello and add sliced bananas.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I agree to go with the 4% type and go name brand. It really does taste better. Also, I was recently surprised to realize that cottage cheese had the same calories, more protein, and fewer carbs than the protein powder that I was using. So, no more protein powder for me unless I need if for convenience.

D
  • leahmarie65
    leahmarie65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just had some today with cinnamon and stevia. It was good. Next time, I might even add a bit of crush nuts.
  • leahmarie65
    leahmarie65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    oh I forgot. great in baked potatoes, when it melts taste great!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like it with tomatoes, onions and vinagrette. I also like it with cinnamon and stevia.
    I have a whole wheat bread recipe with a bunch of cottage cheese in the dough. Its awesome. I even use that dough for cinnamon rolls.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Try using ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese and make a dessert. With cocoa or vanilla and sweetener. So decadent!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My favorite is plain, but this is a regular in my lunch:

72468dd777e471da_cottage-cheese-avocado.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I like it on a baked potato
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Mix in some diced celery, diced green olives and a bit of pepper. Tastes wonderful with whole wheat crackers.:flowerforyou: