Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

I'm not homeless or dirty. I am a well-respected physician and mother runner.
    And my locks are awesome.

Go straight to hell.

Well with that mouth, I cant believe you are that well-respected!
    FYI: This post asked for an OPINION and the poster gave it! Too bad you didnt like!!

Yeah but again "opinion" isn't "license to say anything that comes into your head" necessarily, it's still possible to be polite while giving a differing opinion. If someone asked about hair dying and I said "everyone who dyes their hair is a smelly pirate hooker" don't you think that would also elicit some strong responses, because it's a silly and unfair thing to say?
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    They're a commitment and difficult to maintain, but so are a lot of styles. I think they're really cool and unique. I wanted them for a very long time, but my hair was a pixie cut through most of college and now I've got a corporate job and have to look and dress to fit the bill. Do your research and make sure you've got an experienced hair dresser, but I say go for it! Live on the wild side and do something fun while you can!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

Go straight to hell.

FYI: This post asked for an OPINION and the poster gave it! Too bad you didnt like!!

Yeah but again "opinion" isn't "license to say anything that comes into your head" necessarily, it's still possible to be polite while giving a differing opinion. If someone asked about hair dying and I said "everyone who dyes their hair is a smelly pirate hooker" don't you think that would also elicit some strong responses, because it's a silly and unfair thing to say?

So in other words you want the opinion of: oh I love them! They look so awesome! Gotcha!
  • Sunshine2plus2

Go straight to hell.

Oh and lets not forget the "Go straight to hell" comment. I bet that was ok though right?
  • DSTMT
    Nope, as I said in my second-last comment, all I'm looking for is polite and respectful dialogue all around, you're welcome to say you don't like the way they look, and I totally respect that.

ETA the problem is that comments like "people with dreadlocks are dirty and unkempt" are a judgement on the person themselves, not their fashion choices, and for someone to tell a physician she looks dirty and homeless is pretty silly. I can understand her strong reaction in that particular situation.
  • Just_Sha
    Just_Sha Posts: 61 Member
    Since I have not read the rest of this topic. This is directly to the OP.

To the OP, maybe you can try out dreads with some yarn braids. You can also leave the braids in until hair locks and gets to your desired length. I don't know if you are black or white. That method may work better if you are black with kinky natural hair growing from your roots. I am still at a wonder as to how white people get their hair to lock. Where as if I don't work my roots when wear any style ( I am wearing my natural texture) My hair will start locking within a few days. But that is because each little curl wraps around itself.

But at least with yarn braids, you can see how you would look like them and try them out.
  • DSTMT
    Since I have not read the rest of this topic. This is directly to the OP.

To the OP, maybe you can try out dreads with some yarn braids. You can also leave the braids in until hair locks and gets to your desired length. I don't know if you are black or white. That method may work better if you are black with kinky natural hair growing from your roots. I am still at a wonder as to how white people get their hair to lock. Where as if I don't work my roots when wear any style ( I am wearing my natural texture) My hair will start locking within a few days. But that is because each little curl wraps around itself.

But at least with yarn braids, you can see how you would look like them and try them out.

That's an interesting idea! I'm a mutt lol, of Arab/British Isles descent, my features are Arabic but colouring is about as white as it gets haha...but, my hair is very thick and mats easily, and has a natural curl, so I think they would hold ok.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Nope, as I said in my second-last comment, all I'm looking for is polite and respectful dialogue all around, you're welcome to say you don't like the way they look, and I totally respect that.

ETA the problem is that comments like "people with dreadlocks are dirty and unkempt" are a judgement on the person themselves, not their fashion choices, and for someone to tell a physician she looks dirty and homeless is pretty silly. I can understand her strong reaction in that particular situation.

First No one told a physican she looked homeless and dirty. You asked for an opinion and you got. Thats what they think. Its too bad that people are so insecure with themselves they cant look past it and take it to personally. If you are confident in yourself then you shall have no worries but see thats my opinion. Now I am out!
  • DSTMT

First No one told a physican she looked homeless and dirty. You asked for an opinion and you got. Thats what they think. Its too bad that people are so insecure with themselves they cant look past it and take it to personally. If you are confident in yourself then you shall have no worries but see thats my opinion. Now I am out!

lol did you even read the quote you quoted?
  • I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

Totally agree. I don't think it looks good for business either
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member

I think they're kind of cool, because they remind me of 'Predator.'

alien-gif-35.gif
  • I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

Go straight to hell.

Woah. So I guess my opinion only counts when it's something nice and flattering? If you can't shrug your shoulders and say "eh. Whatever." then you have issues. If someone said that I'm a smelly pirate hooker because I dye my hair it wouldn't get my panties in a bunch. I'd probably laugh and say "Yaaaaaar! Shiver me timbers aye but you be right you scurvy livered lizard!":laugh:
  • DSTMT
    I guess it's just the way I see it, "disagreeing with" and "insulting" aren't the same thing. It is possible to say you don't like something in a way that's not insulting. That's all. I'm not even insulted, I'm just saying I can see how someone would be.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

The amount of time spent in getting them does NOT take away from the fact that they still make you look unkept, not funny just my truth, it's what how I see them, again not trying to disrespect anyone just giving my opinion on something that was asked.
    And how I would look affects you, how, exactly? How does anyone else's look affect your personal life?

Exposure to dreads forced me into years of counseling.

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.
    I must go hide nao, yes? -nodnod- ;)

Your cruelty knows no bounds

*sobs*
    Well, tell me how you want me to fix it! I can't read minds, you know :(

Chocolate and booze?
    What kind of chocolate? I've got some vodka nice and chilled.

The kind with extra sugar.

Good bye cruel world!
    Nothing wrong with a little sugar high!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry.

Just got back from my sugar trip.

I've checked myself in to rehab.

But I got these biltch'n dreadlocks now . . .

I keed! I keed!

I'm not in rehab . . .
  • DSTMT
    Dammit, now I want chocolate and booze lol
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    lol of course this thread turned into a *people with dreadlocks are gross & homeless* one

:noway: :laugh:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member

The amount of time spent in getting them does NOT take away from the fact that they still make you look unkept, not funny just my truth, it's what how I see them, again not trying to disrespect anyone just giving my opinion on something that was asked.
    And how I would look affects you, how, exactly? How does anyone else's look affect your personal life?

Exposure to dreads forced me into years of counseling.

Don't be so insensitive.

Looks kill.
    Damn, I had no clue.
    I must go hide nao, yes? -nodnod- ;)

Your cruelty knows no bounds

*sobs*
    Well, tell me how you want me to fix it! I can't read minds, you know :(

Chocolate and booze?
    What kind of chocolate? I've got some vodka nice and chilled.

The kind with extra sugar.

Good bye cruel world!
    Nothing wrong with a little sugar high!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry.

Just got back from my sugar trip.

I've checked myself in to rehab.

But I got these biltch'n dreadlocks now . . .

I keed! I keed!

I'm not in rehab . . .
    PICS??!?!?!!
  • DSTMT
    lol of course this thread turned into a *people with dreadlocks are gross & homeless* one

:noway: :laugh:

Yeah I guess I should have seen that coming lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member

Totally agree. I don't think it looks good for business either

Gonna agree and disagree at the same time. Yeah I know this is just horrible and permeating stereotypes but if I go to my CPA and she has dreads with beads all up in there I'd be disturbed...yet if I was grabbing a microbrew with friends in a bar and was served by the same woman with the same dreads I'd think she looked cool.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

I think they're kind of cool, because they remind me of 'Predator.'

alien-gif-35.gif

I'm not even kidding--this is one of my favorite movies/book series/science fiction topics... And it may have had a large hand in influencing my wanting dreadlocks.