The Difference 3lbs Can Make (w/ before & after pics)

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    [Disclaimer: this is my first time posting photos, so if I don't do it correctly, I apologize! Still a n00b over here]

I'm a bit nervous about sharing pictures of myself in a bikini with total strangers, but I feel like I have a message worth sharing. I still have a ways to go from my final goal, but I wanted to share my progress so far. Over the past 2.5 years, I've only seen the slightest shift on the scale... losing a total of 3lbs. It's been discouraging at times, but I have taken a few pictures here and there to remind myself that the scale doesn't give you the complete picture.

THE BACKSTORY:
    I first starting getting serious about losing weight after my freshman year of college when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I wasn't obese, but at nearly 170lbs, I was not an a healthy weight for my height (I'm just shy of 5'6). I've always tried to eat healthy, but I would frequently find myself struggling with binging / emotional eating. At the time, I didn't exercise consistently and just generally didn't take great care of myself. I can't find a picture of when I was at my absolutely heaviest, but here's a picture after I first started losing weight and was about 165lbs:
    40_504101654772_6977_n_zps333ac57b.jpg
    By the end of college, I was down to about 145lbs. Sure, it took me almost 3 years to lose 25lbs, but with a slow and steady approach, I was losing weight while also gaining a healthy lifestyle that was sustainable. I was able to get off my PCOS meds and saw a huge improvement to my health both physically and mentally.
    196924_1606495611704_5763013_n_zpsbe311cd9.jpg
    However, I still wanted to lose a final 10lbs to get down to my goal of 135lbs!

LOSING 3LBS:
    After college, I found losing weight was A LOT harder. All of the sudden, I was working full time, which meant sitting... sitting all day. Plus, since I was no longer overweight, the weight didn't come off as easily (I mean, not that it ever really came off *easily*). After a couple of years, I didn't really seem much of a change in, but I did see a decrease in my physical fitness. In September 2011, I decided to set my health as a priority, get back into the shape I was when I graduated college, and then finally kick off those final 10lbs!

Well, I didn't lose 10lbs. In September, I started training for a half-marathon, and by November I was able to complete 7-mile long-runs and dropped a couple pounds. However, I plateaued in November and didn't see any more weight loss, even after I ran my first half-marathon in February. I found that while cardio kept my physical endurance strong and prevented me from gaining weight, I wasn't seeing much more tone or weight loss. So, I kept up exercising regularly and eating healthy, but kind of gave up hope of losing more weight.
    This past September, I started getting more into heavy lifting. After a couple months of lifting, I decided to start taking pictures more regularly, since the scale wasn't bunching but my jeans were getting looser!
    432c93d8-e04f-4bfc-8bf6-37f8f78be400_zpsc9898edb.jpg
    So, since September 2011, I've only lost 3lbs. It sounds pretty pathetic, and honestly, it gets me down sometimes. However, I feel like looking at this pictures proves I'm getting stronger and healthier!
    563dd2af-1f5f-4e90-a4ad-3a0e11763ee3_zps2894c0a7.jpg
    I apologize that these aren't the best before & after pictures - they're taken awkwardly in my mirror and in slightly different ways, no to mention that I have no shots from 2012! haha. I never planned to share them with anyone, but when I saw my latest results, I felt compared to share. The number on the scale is just one aspect of weight loss!!
    8f3a81b4-f2a5-4452-9ef6-a8581ed93d9a_zpsdde4957e.jpg
    I'm not at my final goal yet, but I feel like I'm making progress towards it, even if the scale isn't budging!

Ok, this is what I needed to see. I started lifting weights after Christmas. The scale hasn't budged, but I've lost inches. It's good to see someone else who can say the same thing. Your progress is fabulous!
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    you look great! I too only lost 10 pounds but went from a size 8 jeans to a 4 that now fits loose :smile:
  • Forget the scale, you look fabulous! I wouldn't worry about the scale anymore, you've come a long way with those last 3lbs.
  • I have PCOS too, and this was really inspiring. Thank you so much!
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    Your rsults are amazing! I see that you started heavy weight lifting. I want to get into that as well. How did you start? Meaning, did you just jump into the free weights section of the gym head first, or did you start with a PT?
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Thank you for posting - these are exactly the type of pictures/results I need to see since my scale isn't moving either - I recently started SL 5x5 so hoping to have similar results. YAY for you!
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Amazing, looks like you lost more than 3lbs. Congrats on your progress!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    you have an amazing story and everyone who is addicted to the scale like me should read this to show the scale is just a number!!!! you are awesome!
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    oh wow. i need to start working out! these posts are really motivating! good job!
  • You look amazing!!!! WOW.
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    Congratulations! You look great. Definitely a inspiration!!! :smile:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    omg. thank you so much for posting that. way to go! amazing.
  • You look great! Awesome job :)
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    This is awesome. Thank you for sharing!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Dude. This is freakin amazing! This gives me serious hope for my heavy lifting. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    WOW - AMAZING!!
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks for the inspiration! Your results are just what I am trying to achieve with NROLFW. I don't care about the scales, just want the tummy and back fat gone!
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    How did you start? Meaning, did you just jump into the free weights section of the gym head first, or did you start with a PT?

I did work with a personal trainer for just a few sessions for help on my form and getting some basic moves down. I absolutely loved the trainer I worked with, but it's a lot of money and I felt I couldn't afford more than just a few sessions to get me started.

I also bought and have VERY loosely followed New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W). I think the book is super helpful for getting started! I've never followed it to a T because I like more variety in my workouts (maybe I would have gotten results more quickly if I was better at keeping to a specific regimen! haha)... plus the later stages get a little overly complicated for my taste. That being said, I think Stage 1 is an excellent place to start and the book gives you a great explanation of different moves and how to do them. I've also heard great things about StrongLifts, but I've never personally tried it.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    :flowerforyou: That's awesome! Amazing results.
  • That is amazing. Great inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!