Pizza: want but ought not to have!

Options

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    thin crust vegie pizza one to two slices paired with a salad and hardly any dressing is one of my meals I eat. its all about what you put on the pizza or how many carbs the crust has or how much cheese it has that adds up the caloires. you could get you a ww meal pizza if you don't trust yourself on making a good choice or portion control or make your own out of a tortilla shell.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Get one of those thin pocket pitas and spread pizza sauce on top and throw a bit of cheese on (1/4 c mozzarella is like 90 calories) and pile on healthy toppings and perhaps a small serving of bacon or pepperoni or sausage if you've got the calories. Bake at 300-350 F for 5-10 minutes. Tastes just like thin crust, I promise.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually save most of my calories for supper anyway so I can easily fit in 3 or 4 (sometimes 5!) pieces of pizza depending on what's on it. A salad and one piece of pizza for me doesn't count as splurging on pizza, lol.
  • sj___
    sj___ Posts: 6
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza with a homemade tomato base, spinach, low fat cheese and meat (I go for beef or chicken) is delicious! Still not as good as regular greasy pizza but helps reduce the craving!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza with a homemade tomato base, spinach, low fat cheese and meat (I go for beef or chicken) is delicious! Still not as good as regular greasy pizza but helps reduce the craving!

wouldn't you just rather have the regular pizza?
  • throthette
    Options
    How about making one with an alternative crust? I´ve found some decent quinoa crust recipes that can be made in advance. Or, you can use flatbread, a tortilla, sandwich thins, pita bread, whatever. Be sensible about the toppings, and you´ve killed your craving!
    As far as carbs go, I have eaten pasta dishes throught my weight-loss journey, and I´ve been able to lose nearly 100 pounds now. I just mix in a lot of veggies and a lean protein, so it looks like I´m eating a ton!

Good luck!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza like once a week. Just budget it and make it fit in your day. :drinker:
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options

(But I know they don't have english muffins in england... do they have french fries in france?)

Shut the front door! They don't have English muffins in England???

<snip>

English muffins are an americanization of crumpets.

???!!!!!!????!!!!

Excuse me?

We English don't have English muffins? They're American?

We do have English muffins. They're called "muffins" over here, as the English bit is redundant. I'll concede that an American had his hands in the modern muffin, but it's still basically the old English recipe. But they're nothing like crumpets, which are more of a griddled batter, rather than a soft bread cake.

Well, either all that or I was hallucinating the bread product that held my fried egg and black pudding this morning! :laugh:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Breaking News...

My wife wants pizza for dinner tonight.

WIN!!!

snoopy.gif
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's a local place down the street from me and we get pizza and wings at least every 2 weeks or so. I try to time it on days I did a long run and budget, but sometimes that doesn't happen and I just eat a little less of it. In the nice weather the family and I will walk there to make it a little better.
    Tonight might be pizza night now...
  • asher0920
    asher0920 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy the 100 calorie sandwich rounds and put turkey peperoni, cheese, veggies, etc on it. Then pop them in the convection oven or bake for a few min. They're really delish and not horrible. I also feel more full than just eating 1 or 2 pieces of regular pizza. Oh, and I use some sort of marinara sauce, but not much.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I might be having pizza at some point this weekend! And I'm going to eat a lot of it!
  • rubyted
    rubyted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Phew…at least someone was here to set the world to rights. Not having muffins, indeed?!

We do indeed have muffins but to us they are just muffins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin

We also have crumpets….http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpets

…..damn it, I'm hungry now and have neither crumpets OR muffins. :(
  • rubyted
    rubyted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    …and yes….

Eat the pizza, log it, and then get on with your week. Pizza is good!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You're all just bluffin' with your muffin.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    We had homemade gluten free deep dish pizza last night. It fit into my plan because we'd planned for it, I plugged the recipe into MFP and calculated the macros and made it work. Was I able to eat the whole pan? Of course not. But I had a delicious dinner and leftovers for lunch today, and I was under my calorie mark. You just have to know where you want to spend your calories and macros. I really wanted pizza for lunch, so I skipped my morning snack today and instead of mashed potatoes tonight I'll have a baked potato.

And yes, as others have pointed out, you can satisfy pizza cravings in healthier ways. If it's really the toppings you love, make a broccoli crust or cauliflower crust or even use a bagel thin and make a quick toaster oven pizza. If it's really the crust you love, make the crust the splurge and go light on cheese and use veggies, not sausage or pepperoni.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Love it... I can't stop at 4 though... A red mist descends and before I know it I've had the whole thing. :(

See, this is what all the "just eat it!" crowd don't understand.

It's a hard enough willpower battle to stick to a calorie deficit, let alone tempting yourself with small morsels of what you really want to eat.

It's like telling an alcoholic it's OK to just drink in moderation. The whole problem is the inability to moderate! If I could eat in moderation I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Love it... I can't stop at 4 though... A red mist descends and before I know it I've had the whole thing. :(

It's a hard enough willpower battle to stick to a calorie deficit, let alone tempting yourself with small morsels of what you really want to eat.

It's like telling an alcoholic it's OK to just drink in moderation. The whole problem is the inability to moderate! If I could eat in moderation I wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place.

It all a learning process, we all have to learn that overeating got us to obesity and we need to learn to eat in moderation. This is where you order a personal size pizza and a salad and enjoy your pizza.... Cutting things out of your diet in the beginning may be necessary but eventually we all have to learn to eat the things we like. Unless you think you will never it pizza again in your entire life. If that is the case then count me out of that equation.... but If you order a large and don't have the ability in the beginning to stop at 2 or 3 pieces then of course your going to fall off the wagon, but order a size that allows you only a few slices will teach you moderation and the discipline of only ordering a portion size...
  • mccindy72
    Options

Except I wouldn't tell an alcoholic that. They don't need alcohol to live. You do need food to live. Therefore, you need to learn to develop a healthy relationship with food, including how to eat in moderation. You can learn how to stop at the smaller amount, it's about making the decision to do it and sticking to it.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue yesterday!!!

I have made pizza quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas, and the fixings, just be sure to go easy on the meat and cheese. Then I dip in sauce. It cut quite a few calories from the norm.