Why "clean eating" is a myth

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Evidence I've seen also suggests that physical fitness and not being obese are more important than what you eat in most cases.

I agree. I suggest doing both. Eat well and get fit. Sounds like a plan. So why is it BS to suggest that eating well can help you avoid getting cancer?

No one is suggesting that "eating well" isn't going to help. The devil lies in the details and that is what is meant by "eating well."
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    *knock knock*
    Me: yes?
    Cancer: hi mam, I'm cancer. I've noticed you haven't been eating clean lately. Mind if I...,
    Me: no! I don't want any! Go away!
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

Not all cancer is lifestyle based. To argue otherwise is beyond ignorant of the available science on the subject.

But evidence shows that some almost certainly is.

So clean eating, as opposed to a 80/20 diet is going to save anyone? Good luck with that.

Why are those two things independent of the other?

80/20 means you can have a McDouble every day, basically. I hardly consider that clean. If you do then the idea of clean eating is rather... diluted.

Why is it with you folks that you're either a clean eating nazi who ONLY EATS CLEAN EVAR! or you're a fast food junkie like yourself? Why is there never any middle ground allowed?

Today I ate clean, two days ago I had pizza and french fries. Does this make me NOT a clean eater? Does it mean I eat clean 80% of the time? It's such a stupid argument.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Evidence I've seen also suggests that physical fitness and not being obese are more important than what you eat in most cases.

I agree. I suggest doing both. Eat well and get fit. Sounds like a plan. So why is it BS to suggest that eating well can help you avoid getting cancer?

Because well and clean are different things.

what's the difference in your mind?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    *knock knock*
    Cancer: hi mam, I'm cancer. I've noticed you haven't been eating clean lately. Mind if I...,
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

Not all cancer is lifestyle based. To argue otherwise is beyond ignorant of the available science on the subject.

So clean eating, as opposed to a 80/20 diet is going to save anyone? Good luck with that.

The argument above indicates that if you don't eat clean then you will get cancer.

You're reading a LOT into a humorous little anecdote about cancer knocking at your door.

Okay. Please explain what YOU are arguing about then because you have thus far added damn little to the conversation. Not that I'm surprised.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

No one is suggesting that "eating well" isn't going to help. The devil lies in the details and that is what is meant by "eating well."

Um. That's kind of over-looking the BIG detail. You know. The part where cancer doesn't really knock on your door.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Eating clean isn't my thing. I don't try to define the exact % of my diet needs to be clean to decrease my cancer risk by .000001% ;)
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    *knock knock*
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

The argument above indicates that if you don't eat clean then you will get cancer.

You're reading a LOT into a humorous little anecdote about cancer knocking at your door.

Okay. Please explain what YOU are arguing about then because you have thus far added damn little to the conversation. Not that I'm surprised.

No one has added anything in 10 pages. That's kind of the point.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    I dunno. Eating clean isn't my thing. I don't try to define the exact % of my diet needs to be clean to decrease my cancer risk by .000001% ;)

so you said there's a difference between eating well and eating clean but that you don't know what it is?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Eating well means you're giving your body the appropriate mutrients.

Eating clean means you're only getting those nutrients from certain sources (80% of the time if you do the 80/20 thing I guess) as defined by one of several definitions of clean.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Eating clean means you're only getting those nutrients from certain sources (80% of the time if you do the 80/20 thing I guess) as defined by one of several definitions of clean.

and where it breaks down is that you feel that nutrients artificially added to pop tarts are just as good as nutrients from a fresh, whole food source.

it's all so complicated. lol
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    *knock knock*
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

So a discussion thread on clean eating is a waste for you. That's dandy. Congratulations.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options

What if it decreases your risk of cancer 70%, but increases your risk of heart disease 4% and makes you more attractive to the ladies, but gives you erectile dysfunction?
  • jonnythan
    Options

and where it breaks down is that you feel that nutrients artificially added to pop tarts are just as good as nutrients from a fresh, whole food source.

Well it's complicated to you but not me. I treat sugar like sugar wherever it comes from. It gets complicated when you want to say fructose from one source is good but it's bad from another source.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Has anyone suggested that.

Incidentally, I believe (little fuzzy on the figures), that living somewhere with a 1% lower GPD reduces your chance of some cancers by 1%.

So moving to a significantly poorer country could mean LOADS of bad eating and no lower risk of cancer :).
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    *knock knock*
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

So a discussion thread on clean eating is a waste for you. That's dandy. Congratulations.

lol This stopped being a discussion about clean eating a long time ago. You're arguing about a story where cancer knocks on the door like a traveling salesman.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    *knock knock*
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

Almost certainly...breathing water will kill you. Almost.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This is all mythed up.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Well it's complicated to you but not me. I treat sugar like sugar wherever it comes from. It gets complicated when you want to say fructose from one source is good but it's bad from another source.

fructose from fruit IS fine while fructose from pop tarts is less fine. the individual eating styles are NOT complicated. what I clearly meant was that arguing with (fill in the blanks) like you is complicated because (again) you're all intentionally obtuse.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    *knock knock*
    *slam*

Ridiculous.

Almost certainly...breathing water will kill you. Almost.

you realize, of course, that there is no certainty in nutrition or science yes? jonny even agreed on that point. so not sure what you're trying to prove other than that you're still trolling after all this time. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, ninerbuff. The article has valid points.