Why "clean eating" is a myth

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think the whole article is utter crap. There ARE foods that are highly nutritious, you know loaded with vitamins, minerals, the stuff your body needs to actually function. There are also foods that are empty calories that offer little more beyond "I eat you because you taste good." Having icecream or a treat here and there while "eating well" (I though there were no bad foods huh) most of the time like he's suggesting--Wow that's hardly revolutionary! Notice how he didn't advocate eating "junk" 100% of the time. But hey Mr, since clean eating doesn't exist is it ok if I go ahead and eat nothing but donuts, Twinkies and the like 90% of the time right? Since there's no bad foods and all foods are equally nutritious my health won't suffer, nah...just wow.

This post makes no sense. You don't get bonus points for getyig way more vitamins than you need.

you do actually, since the amount of vitamins "you need" set by the government forces that be is ridiculously low. :wink:

DRI, RDA, or UL?

All of the above. for example the gov't says you only need 3500mg of potassium yet it's widely recognized that 4,700mg is the proper amount. This is true across the board.

And yes, getting more than you need of Vitamin C and Zinc for instance CAN help with colds and illnesses. So... there's that.

Pretty sure the vitamin C and zinc helps with colds thing has been completely and thoroughly debunked.

Show me the science plz.

I'm mobile so can't do much research at the moment. Should be easy to Google.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is intelligent enough to understand subtle concepts like context and dosage.

No, unfortunately not. This is why there is rampant misinformation regarding nutrition. People need simple.
    wow that's rude and uncalled for

And yet it is 100% true. Though, I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily directing it at you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

fructose from fruit IS fine while fructose from pop tarts is less fine.

Ok, so they're both fine, and one is just even more fine than the other.

Got it.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

fructose from fruit IS fine while fructose from pop tarts is less fine.

Ok, so they're both fine, and one is just even more fine than the other.

Got it.

glad. :)
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Not everyone is intelligent enough to understand subtle concepts like context and dosage.

No, unfortunately not. This is why there is rampant misinformation regarding nutrition. People need simple.

And yet it is 100% true. Though, I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily directing it at you.
    No I gave my opinion and because you didn't agree with it you called me an idiot. That's intelligent.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I think the whole article is utter crap. There ARE foods that are highly nutritious, you know loaded with vitamins, minerals, the stuff your body needs to actually function. There are also foods that are empty calories that offer little more beyond "I eat you because you taste good." Having icecream or a treat here and there while "eating well" (I though there were no bad foods huh) most of the time like he's suggesting--Wow that's hardly revolutionary! Notice how he didn't advocate eating "junk" 100% of the time. But hey Mr, since clean eating doesn't exist is it ok if I go ahead and eat nothing but donuts, Twinkies and the like 90% of the time right? Since there's no bad foods and all foods are equally nutritious my health won't suffer, nah...just wow.

This post makes no sense. You don't get bonus points for getyig way more vitamins than you need.
    If certain foods make up the bulk of your diet you won't be getting any vitamins and minerals

Not a single person is debating that.

Also, water generally can aid in hydration.

the debate lies in whether fortified nutrients are equivalent to fresh, whole food nutrients tbh. Jonny thinks they're equivalent. Many don't. I tend to believe that the nutrients in a tomato picked today are more bioavailable and potent than the nutrients coming from rocks that are injected into a poptart

If it is exactly the same nutrients in a form my body can digest it wouldn't know the difference, but my taste buds would. I think that most arguments that are sound are based on the fact that the nutrient content is often unequal.
  • jonnythan
    Options

No I gave my opinion and because you didn't agree with it you called me an idiot. That's intelligent.

No, he didn't.
  • wheird
    Options

If certain foods make up the bulk of your diet you won't be getting any vitamins and minerals

the debate lies in whether fortified nutrients are equivalent to fresh, whole food nutrients tbh. Jonny thinks they're equivalent. Many don't. I tend to believe that the nutrients in a tomato picked today are more bioavailable and potent than the nutrients coming from rocks that are injected into a poptart

Well...the tomato has additional properties that the poptart does not. Antioxidents, enzymes, etc. It really isn't a comparison.

But I do see johnnythan telling people to eat veggies...so I doubt he is against eating that tomato.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well...the tomato has additional properties that the poptart does not. Antioxidents, enzymes, etc. It really isn't a comparison.

But I do see johnnythan telling people to eat veggies...so I doubt he is against eating that tomato.

Bleck.....I hate tomatoes. :noway:
  • Whambam087
    Options

No, he didn't.
    not everyone is intelligent enough...
  • wheird
    Options

No, I didn't. I don't feel the need to comment on your intellectual prowess. Though I will comment on what you say.

Subtle, but important.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When it comes to vitamins, I think specific vitamin intake recommendations are largely overblown. I'm the absence of a medical problem or deficiency, a normal diet with several servings of veggies and/or fruits of pretty much any kind will IMO largely take care of that. Antioxidants in particular are not necessarily a good thing. As for minerals, largely the same though there is some merit to making sure you get sufficient potassium.
  • wheird
    Options

Bleck.....I hate tomatoes. :noway:

Heathen.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Ask jonny if he thinks a pop tart is an equivalent source of fiber, folic acid, niacin, riboflaven, vitamin a, iron etc to a fresh, whole food product with the same properties.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    When it comes to vitamins, I think specific vitamin intake recommendations are largely overblown. I'm the absence of a medical problem or deficiency, a normal diet with several servings of veggies and/or fruits of pretty much any kind will IMO largely take care of that. Antioxidants in particular are not necessarily a good thing. As for minerals, largely the same though there is some merit to making sure you get sufficient potassium.

why do you feel this way?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Ask jonny if he thinks a pop tart is an equivalent source of fiber, folic acid, niacin, riboflaven, vitamin a, iron etc to a fresh, whole food product with the same properties.

What is this? The telephone game?
  • wheird
    Options

No, he didn't.
    not everyone is intelligent enough...

Which is true.
  • jonnythan
    Options

why do you feel this way?

Which part? I made several specific statements.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not even about intelligence so much as it is about motivation. Vast majority of people have no interest in spending a lot of time digging into nutritional details - and they are *right* in making that choice.

Reality is, humans can eat almost anything, and if done in reasonable quantities, they'll be just fine health wise.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

If a pop tart has all the same stuff, it does. Why you gotta demonize the pop tart? The whole food is likely to have properties the pop tart doesn't have and vice versa, but that doesn't make one evil and one good.