Types of food you avoid eating while on diet

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My point being that I really dislike all those judge-y comments that say "don't cut anything, end of story". Not everyone is the same.

I dislike all those judge-y comments that say "waaa waaa I can't control myself". Everyone is pretty much the same and you are not a special snowflake. :flowerforyou:

OK...well tell that to alcoholics. "If I can have a drink in moderation, you can too! You're not a special snowflake". HA! That would go over.

And I don't understand that sentiment either...people ARE different. Maybe not in the biological or physiological sense, but mentally? Yes. Obviously everyone CAN (has the physical ability to) eat things in moderation and maintain a healthy weight, but some people struggle much more with the mental aspects that it may be in their best interest to just eliminate them.

Ugh, that kind of thinking kills people. I AM a recovering alcoholic and have had people make the attempt to shame me and tell me that my issue is self control and that I should be able to have a drink or two. Well, I cant, and I have tried.

I do not see what the big freaking deal is to people that get their panties in a wad over someone cutting something that they feel is bad for them out of their lives.

Guess what? WE CAN LIVE with out a Christmas cookie, a piece of cake, a bag of doritos and a glass of wine. And have a pretty darn good life. It is actually kind of sad that people think those things are necessary in order to be happy. Happiness comes with in. If I am relying on a piece of cake or glass of wine to complete me, there is something indeed wrong.

I have an inflammatory disease, processed and refined foods make me hurt. I also have 3 kidneys....So I guess I am a special snowflake......and no one in this world should really care one way or another.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My point being that I really dislike all those judge-y comments that say "don't cut anything, end of story". Not everyone is the same.

I dislike all those judge-y comments that say "waaa waaa I can't control myself". Everyone is pretty much the same and you are not a special snowflake. :flowerforyou:

OK...well tell that to alcoholics. "If I can have a drink in moderation, you can too! You're not a special snowflake". HA! That would go over.

And I don't understand that sentiment either...people ARE different. Maybe not in the biological or physiological sense, but mentally? Yes. Obviously everyone CAN (has the physical ability to) eat things in moderation and maintain a healthy weight, but some people struggle much more with the mental aspects that it may be in their best interest to just eliminate them.

Agreed. It's ignorant to suggest everyone is the same when it comes to willpower. Plenty of people fall victim to mental addictions every day. You can say these people are weak and just crying about not being able to control themselves, but that's akin to me making fun of a gambling addict for his lack of control - at best, it's unhelpful and this site is supposed to be geared towards helping people with their weight loss.

This site is geared toward counting calories. Everything else, including your perceptions, are extra.

Says the person posting their perception on a message board.
  • MB2MN
    Options

Ugh, that kind of thinking kills people. I AM a recovering alcoholic and have had people make the attempt to shame me and tell me that my issue is self control and that I should be able to have a drink or two. Well, I cant, and I have tried.

I do not see what the big freaking deal is to people that get their panties in a wad over someone cutting something that they feel is bad for them out of their lives.

Guess what? WE CAN LIVE with out a Christmas cookie, a piece of cake, a bag of doritos and a glass of wine. And have a pretty darn good life. It is actually kind of sad that people think those things are necessary in order to be happy. Happiness comes with in. If I am relying on a piece of cake or glass of wine to complete me, there is something indeed wrong.

I have an inflammatory disease, processed and refined foods make me hurt. I also have 3 kidneys....So I guess I am a special snowflake......and no one in this world should really care one way or another.

Thank you, this is exactly my point. Sexy legs, BTW!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

OMG seriously? Everyone IS most certainly different. So happy you can control yourself awesome good for you, but there are those out there that can't.....Awesome job being able to eat ALL the foods you love and want, but others find they are trigger foods for other bad habits. Amazing that you can eat 5 million calories and still lose weight but some can't they have to cut back a bit more than you in order to lose some lbs. We are all made the same way and we all have the same pieces and parts but those pieces and parts work differently in your body than they do mine, maybe they aren't supposed to but they do. I have to cut complex carbs to stop the sugar cravings, you don't? well that's awesome......FOR YOU, but if I don't I crave chocolate and anything sweet and poof there goes my willpower. If our bodies all worked the same we'd all have cancer or non of us would, we'd all be skinny or non of us would be, we'd all be diabetics or non of us would be. How the hell do you think our bodies all work the same way? Think about it. A naturally thin person can eat and eat and eat and not gain weight but another person has to watch every bite they put in their mouth or they gain weight, but yet they have they were made the same way, no missing body parts, everything working it's just that they work differently. I used to think dammit yes I am a special snowflake and now I've changed my mind, people like you are the "special snowflakes" because your perfect and your body works the way it's supposed to. :mad:
  • deadyankee
    Options

Agreed. It's ignorant to suggest everyone is the same when it comes to willpower. Plenty of people fall victim to mental addictions every day. You can say these people are weak and just crying about not being able to control themselves, but that's akin to me making fun of a gambling addict for his lack of control - at best, it's unhelpful and this site is supposed to be geared towards helping people with their weight loss.

This site is geared toward counting calories. Everything else, including your perceptions, are extra.

No it isn't, although some are doing their best to make it so. The site is called my FITNESS pal, not my hectoring, one-dimensional calorie counting bully
  • MB2MN
    Options
    ^^^ Why aren't we friends?? :flowerforyou:
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Ahhh..... cheese... I remember cheese....
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I cut out sweets like cookies, candy (even sugar free candy). I can't eat them in moderation, I start bingeing. I know I would fail if I never allowed myself anything sweet so I substitute things like sf pudding, Arctic Zero Ice Cream and cereal bars for the sweets. For some reason, I can eat one Fiber One bar and stop. I like fruit but it just isn't the same . . . :bigsmile:
  • tiffany5446
    tiffany5446 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating fast food unless it's a healthy option. Really I think, if you are dieting, it's all about watching calories. Of course, you also want to watch other things (carbs, fat, etc.), but it all comes down to burning more calories than you consume.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

No it isn't, although some are doing their best to make it so. The site is called my FITNESS pal, not my hectoring, one-dimensional calorie counting bully

It's actually marketed as a calorie counting site. Visit the home page. It clearly says "eat what you want".
    Besides, "fitness" is a rather nebulous term. "Fit" to do what? There are people on this site that simply want to get "fit" enough to be able to walk without discomfort. Some want to "fit" into a wedding gown or jeans. There are athletes, body builders and everything in between.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

^^This. And btw, I have an ED and I don't consider myself a "special snowflake" but the difference is this: an alcoholic can stop drinking forever (yes, sometimes they need librium, etc) and a smoker can stop smoking forever and a crack addict can stop smoking crack forever but I can't stop eating forever. Eventually I will have to take in nutrients which may or may not begin a binge.

http://yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/element/bwmeta1.element.elsevier-87072b00-148b-3417-ae0b-1bd3f8175372/c/00810569.pdf
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I guess people are counting calories for sh!ts and giggles then and it has absolutely nothing to do with weight management. :laugh: You're right, there probably isn't even a correlation between calories and body weight. I don't know what I was thinking with my silly perception of this site. Thank you good sir for correcting my erroneous thinking. I've now seen the light and realize that people are counting calories just for the fun of counting calories and it has nothing to do with weight management.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

^^This. And btw, I have an ED and I don't consider myself a "special snowflake" but the difference is this: an alcoholic can stop drinking forever (yes, sometimes they need librium, etc) and a smoker can stop smoking forever and a crack addict can stop smoking crack forever but I can't stop eating forever. Eventually I will have to take in nutrients which may or may not begin a binge.

http://yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/element/bwmeta1.element.elsevier-87072b00-148b-3417-ae0b-1bd3f8175372/c/00810569.pdf

If you have an ED, I hope that you are getting professional help for your relationship with food.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well, every time I tried moderation when I started a new diet, I failed miserably. It was like I was a recovering alcoholic who had a few shots now and then. I'm sure there are a few other people out there who feel the same. I do plan to start eating all foods in moderation when I reach my goal weight.

So you think that by some miracle you'll be able to suddenly eat things in moderation once you're at goal weight? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way. It's a recipe for disaster. You don't suddenly get 1000 extra calories to eat once you're at maintenance... 200-300 mostly (unless you're starving yourself, but typically if you do you maintenance will be lower anyway).

^^This this this this. I basically said the same thing to a friend a few weeks ago. Brava.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fast food, chocolate, crisps, cakes and soda (even diet). Obviously these foods will get eaten on days where I take a break, maybe once a week but on days where I need to hit my calorie goal, Id rather use the calories on foods that will help me hit my macros. All those foods above contain little protein and fibre so I avoid them for those reasons.
  • Hansonian
    Hansonian Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on having that much will power!

Personally, I think substitution is the best bet. 100% cutting things out just make me want those things much more. I know that I won't be able to (or rather, won't) deny myself bread, cookies, bacon etc for the rest of my life so I want to find things that I can substitute forever.

Carbs - I never eat white flour/pasta/rice. It's all whole wheat or brown/wild for me, which I find more filling anyway.

Sweets - Eat your meal first until you're full so that you won't try to fill up on sweets. Personally, I make cookies with wheat flour or oats, egg whites, brown or coconut sugar, and dark chocolate chips. You can keep the dough in the fridge and you have to go through the process of cooking them before you eat them. This will give you a chance to think about your goals, your motivations, and then, if you still want them, eat a couple!

Cheese - I get 100% mozzarella sticks (yep, the sting cheese kind). They are satisfying and about 80 calories. Perfect for a snack or cut up as the cheese on my sandwich.

Pork - I sometimes eat pork products, but I make sure that I eat a lot of other really healthy stuff first like a big helping of veggies or eggs to fill me up. And I bake bacon on a baking rack in the oven rather than frying in a pan (I don't make extra- I always think of some excuse to eat it!). Also, I'm not a huge fan of turkey bacon, but it can work in a pinch. I'd rather just savor the bacon I do have. :p

It sounds like you're doing great though! Good luck! Feel free to add me if you're ever looking for some motivation! :)