Snacking too much!

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you knew anything about me you'd know I've been wrong on numerous occasions and always will admit it if it happens. I'm actually quite reasonable.

hbal.gif

well that's a bit ****ed up and you're getting a report for that.

really??? Your taking that approach?

if it were a gif of anyone else it wouldn't have phased me. but that's offensive.

why? it is a guy who got acquired of a crime…I don't see how that is offensive…

questioning health choices isn't enough for you, you have to also question the things I take offense to?

dude is a murderer and a ****ing psychopath and the insinuation is not appreciated.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you knew anything about me you'd know I've been wrong on numerous occasions and always will admit it if it happens. I'm actually quite reasonable.

hbal.gif

well that's a bit ****ed up and you're getting a report for that.

really??? Your taking that approach?

if it were a gif of anyone else it wouldn't have phased me. but that's offensive.

why? it is a guy who got acquired of a crime…I don't see how that is offensive…

questioning health choices isn't enough for you, you have to also question the things I take offense to?

dude is a murderer and a ****ing psychopath and the insinuation is not appreciated.

in the words of that great philosopher Redman …."whatever man"

ETA - No, I am just questioning why you feel the need to report it and announce it…just seems petty …

I question everything…the socratic method and all..i find it makes life more interesting...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    please stop allowing him to hijack threads.

please?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    please?

with sugar on top.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    yea fit them in your caloric goal...but better yet, why not just make healthier versions of your favorite snacks already? just make a switch. For example, instead of eating fries, go ahead and bake yourself some sweet potato fries....instead of eating cheesecake, make yourself a cheesecake out of greek yogurt, protein powder, lemon, egg whites and truvia believe me it tastes just as good but so much healthier for you...instead of eating chocolate pudding, go ahead and take some greek yogurt, teaspoon of truvia, 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and youre good to go add some berries....
    just make healthier options for the junk foods that you already love and itll help you transition and wean yourself off of it slowly

Love the Greek Yogurt/cocoa powder idea but you an keep the Truvia. That stuff tastes like a**. Give me "dirty" Splenda anyday. BTW, Truvia may originally come from a plant (all food can be traced back to plants) doesn't mean that it is "clean." Truvia is processed, milled, manufactured, refined and packaged, just like Splenda, Equal, Nutrisweet and Sweet 'n' Low. Oh, yes, and sugar.

OP, I think the only thing we're going to agree on here is: Change whatever you can sustain. If that means hitting your macros then having a Ding Dong, HoHo, Snowball or a bunch of grapes, so be it. You have to decide with what change you can tolerate.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    please stop allowing him to hijack threads.

please?

X1000
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just checked my original post now, and ive only seen a few responses that offered me advice relevant to my question. I dont know why everyone is responding to everyone elses threads, but thanks to those who helped me figure out if my junk food was slowing my weight loss process. I feel better that it most likely wont hurt my progress. This is my first time asking a question for support and im pretty disappointed at the lack of support im witnessing. It literally took me 20 minutes to read everything and I really only seen about 10 posts that I felt helped me. I guess I wont be asking questions for support anymore.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable. If I didn't know better, I would say MFP is a super secret "fat acceptance" group to sabotage innocent people looking to lose weight and improve their health.

I've been off and on diets for DECADES and all of them allow for an occasional splurge or treat. No biggie.

But, some of your pot stirrers walk around acting like junk food doesn't matter one Iota when it comes to health and fitness.

Well, I'd like to see how many morbidly obese people, who have struggled for decades with their weight, will say-- "Meh- eat the junk as part of your daily diet." Why do you think some choose surgery with God awful side effects? Because they can't control it like you can. They are desperate and the surgery is their last resort.

What would be more helpful would if people truly offered support. Maybe to say-- "Stay away from your trigger foods. Keep them out of the house. Yes, an occasional treat is fine, plan for it, have it and move on" How hard is that??

It's tiresome to see mostly young people who don't have a significant weight problem make light of what can be a real issue and stumbling block to losing weight.

It's frustrating when you have to work hard for something, and people put up gif of cookies and brownies as a joke on a fitness site. It can be a temptation and you are NOT helping.

Please, think before you post. Please be kind. There are people out there for whom this ISN'T a joke, it's their very life and their health (not a few vanity pounds).

So, if someone is asking for help with "no control snacking" don't come in bragging how you have no problem eating junk food every night and you still lost weight. Lucky you-- but your situation doesn't apply to all. It's not helpful and it's rude.

I wasn't going to jump into the chaos, but this post changed my mind. I yo yo dieted for most of my adult life. I know every diet there is. I've tried many of them - including ones that probably hurt my body. I tried eliminating food groups - depending on which way the wind was blowing in the diet community at the time.

I have gone low carb, lost 45 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have gone vegetarian, lost 35 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have gone no sugar, lost 50 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have taken all the diet pills, Ally, SlimFast, been on Weight Watchers, eaten every low calorie entrée that has been made, starved myself, and the weight has always come back and more.

When I joined MFP, I kept reading, as you have done, of all the people who were preaching moderation. Some are snarky, some are sarcastic, some post gifs of brownies, some call people out on misinformation. I wish I could take all the money I threw away on gimmicks and give it to these unpaid, snarky people. I have been doing this for 20 months. I have lost a fair amount of weight. I can eat brownies, cookies, ice cream - but I have learned to control myself and only eat a serving. I stay in my calorie deficit. I meet my macros.

If you want to have real success - you'd be wise to listen, too. This is not about losing weight. This is about changing the crap in our heads that has made us so screwed up over food. Unless and until you learn that - you are doomed to fail. You will be lured into cheating over the picture of a brownie. Better learn to deal with this or the yo yo is on another trip down the string.

ETA: I assume no responsibility for anyone cheating because I typed the word brownie 3 x in this post.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just checked my original post now, and ive only seen a few responses that offered me advice relevant to my question. I dont know why everyone is responding to everyone elses threads, but thanks to those who helped me figure out if my junk food was slowing my weight loss process. I feel better that it most likely wont hurt my progress. This is my first time asking a question for support and im pretty disappointed at the lack of support im witnessing. It literally took me 20 minutes to read everything and I really only seen about 10 posts that I felt helped me. I guess I wont be asking questions for support anymore.

This is life and in life you have to wade through the BS to get the information you want. *shrug*
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable. If I didn't know better, I would say MFP is a super secret "fat acceptance" group to sabotage innocent people looking to lose weight and improve their health.

I've been off and on diets for DECADES and all of them allow for an occasional splurge or treat. No biggie.

But, some of your pot stirrers walk around acting like junk food doesn't matter one Iota when it comes to health and fitness.

Well, I'd like to see how many morbidly obese people, who have struggled for decades with their weight, will say-- "Meh- eat the junk as part of your daily diet." Why do you think some choose surgery with God awful side effects? Because they can't control it like you can. They are desperate and the surgery is their last resort.

What would be more helpful would if people truly offered support. Maybe to say-- "Stay away from your trigger foods. Keep them out of the house. Yes, an occasional treat is fine, plan for it, have it and move on" How hard is that??

It's tiresome to see mostly young people who don't have a significant weight problem make light of what can be a real issue and stumbling block to losing weight.

It's frustrating when you have to work hard for something, and people put up gif of cookies and brownies as a joke on a fitness site. It can be a temptation and you are NOT helping.

Please, think before you post. Please be kind. There are people out there for whom this ISN'T a joke, it's their very life and their health (not a few vanity pounds).

So, if someone is asking for help with "no control snacking" don't come in bragging how you have no problem eating junk food every night and you still lost weight. Lucky you-- but your situation doesn't apply to all. It's not helpful and it's rude.

I wasn't going to jump into the chaos, but this post changed my mind. I yo yo dieted for most of my adult life. I know every diet there is. I've tried many of them - including ones that probably hurt my body. I tried eliminating food groups - depending on which way the wind was blowing in the diet community at the time.

I have gone low carb, lost 45 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have gone vegetarian, lost 35 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have gone no sugar, lost 50 pounds, failed and gained it all back. I have taken all the diet pills, Ally, SlimFast, been on Weight Watchers, eaten every low calorie entrée that has been made, starved myself, and the weight has always come back and more.

When I joined MFP, I kept reading, as you have done, of all the people who were preaching moderation. Some are snarky, some are sarcastic, some post gifs of brownies, some call people out on misinformation. I wish I could take all the money I threw away on gimmicks and give it to these unpaid, snarky people. I have been doing this for 20 months. I have lost a fair amount of weight. I can eat brownies, cookies, ice cream - but I have learned to control myself and only eat a serving. I stay in my calorie deficit. I meet my macros.

If you want to have real success - you'd be wise to listen, too. This is not about losing weight. This is about changing the crap in our heads that has made us so screwed up over food. Unless and until you learn that - you are doomed to fail. You will be lured into cheating over the picture of a brownie. Better learn to deal with this or the yo yo is on another trip down the string.

ETA: I assume no responsibility for anyone cheating because I typed the word brownie 3 x in this post.

/end thread.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

2425156-the+rock+clapping.gif

But then what the hell do you know, you've only lost 109lb.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Mic-Drop.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, Reddy is the one who has never been obese. He is the one who apparently doesn't like donuts or Ding Dongs or McDonald's.

He simply doesn't understand the ramifications of his advice and demonization.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    In purely to find out what a Ding Dong is. Do you eat it or shag it?
    hostess-ding-dong.jpeg

....so..uh... both?

Tht's a Ring Ding. Seriously, people.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Sigh.

Both have a place in a balanced diet if you so choose it. Ding-Dongs are something I would use to hit my carbs and fat at the end of the day and Kale...well I wouldn't eat kale. It's a garnish. I don't eat garnishes.

I want to point something out that's totally brilliant here:

NONE of the IIFYM-ers here defending ding dongs don't eat kale.

I love it. It's too perfect. :laugh:

I eat kale. I don't eat ding dongs. But I have a tub of cookie dough in my freezer...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. It started in earnest when someone said that things she can't pronounce are automatically bad.

Hey, being too stupid/lazy to learn 'big words' is a legitimate reason to not eat certain things. Words are scary!

That's why I don't watch Sesame Street.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In purely to find out what a Ding Dong is. Do you eat it or shag it?
    hostess-ding-dong.jpeg

....so..uh... both?

Tht's a Ring Ding. Seriously, people.

Drake's produces Ring Dings. Hostess (used to) produce Ding Dongs. Other than that, I'm not sure what hte difference between the two are.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, Reddy is the one who has never been obese. He is the one who apparently doesn't like donuts or Ding Dongs or McDonald's.

I'm sorry you feel this way and this is the last I'll say on the subject.

I don't demonize any food. You know that as well as anyone. You're smart enough and we've talked enough and you understand exactly where I stand on this, in that when it comes to weight loss people need to do what works in order to lose the weight. That IS the priority, and if it takes eating a ding dong daily to get it done, GREAT! I support that. Hell, I eat the very things I label as "junk" on a semi-daily basis. But just because I eat it daily and it's FINE to eat, doesn't mean it's not nutritionally less dense than other options - that's all I've ever been saying.

Let me clear it up though with a very simple comparison of the foods we've already discussed, just so it's all in one place:

Is there a situation where a ding dong is a perfectly fine choice? Yes
    Is there a situation where a ding dong can be a bad choice? Yes

Is there a situation where kale is a perfectly fine choice? Yes
    Is there a situation where kale can be a bad choice? No

Those are my views. Whether or not you agree is up to you and that's fine, but what that ISN'T, is that is NOT demonizing food. Even in the slightest. It's being pragmatic and realistic.

Anyway I'm donezo on this one. :flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel this way and this is the last I'll say on the subject.

I don't demonize any food. You know that as well as anyone. You're smart enough and we've talked enough and you understand exactly where I stand on this, in that when it comes to weight loss people need to do what works in order to lose the weight. That IS the priority, and if it takes eating a ding dong daily to get it done, GREAT! I support that. Hell, I eat the very things I label as "junk" on a semi-daily basis. But just because I eat it daily and it's FINE to eat, doesn't mean it's not nutritionally less dense than other options - that's all I've ever been saying.

Let me clear it up though with a very simple comparison of the foods we've already discussed, just so it's all in one place:

Is there a situation where a ding dong is a perfectly fine choice? Yes
    Is there a situation where a ding dong can be a bad choice? Yes

Is there a situation where kale is a perfectly fine choice? Yes
    Is there a situation where kale can be a bad choice? No

Those are my views. Whether or not you agree is up to you and that's fine, but what that ISN'T, is that is NOT demonizing food. Even in the slightest. It's being pragmatic and realistic.

Anyway I'm donezo on this one. :flowerforyou:

Kale is Mother Nature's way of saying "**** you," I made something so nutritious taste like poo, deal with it, humans. I also hold kale up as proof that Nietzsche was right.

It is always a bad choice.

I'll eat my donut and cover myself with better veggie choices later, TYVM.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    If eating junk food helps you stay on track go for it but if you want to eat clean find alternatives and slowly phase out of your bad habit. If you don't eat to "eat clean" don't necessarily force yourself because that will cause stress and that leads to weight gain

It seems that you don't really care and are totally ok with how you eat and that it works for you. You seem more worried if it is socially acceptable or if is normal. Don't stress about something you don't need I.

why is eating cake, ice cream, cookies, et and maintaining a calorie deficit a "bad habit"???????

Food is just energy ..it is not bad or good …you don't need a certain type of food ….

Alright everyone seriously - I am not TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO! I am only offering my advice based on how I eat etc. If you're only goal is to have a calories deficit then by all means, eat whatever the h*ll you want - not my body not my problem. I choose not to put all that **** into my body - if you want to then go ahead.