Angry People

Options
Why are people on the internet so...angry? :huh: Every day on these forums there are multiple posts of someone just ripping apart some other person, or type of person, or group of people. They seem to be personally offended by the actions of people they've never even met, and it's always over the most inconsequential things. I really can't relate and am genuinely curious as to what makes some of you guys so angry about what other people do or say.

Replies

• ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    For the same reason we have people shooting people over texting during previews in the movie theater or because the people in the car they parked close to is booming their music too loud. People seem to want control over everyone else, but they lack the ability to control themselves.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I think there are tons of different factors at play when it comes to someone's apparent anger level when on the internet. When participating in discussions on the internet, the relative anonymity compared to a in-person interaction, combined with the lack of repercussions for not just unpopular, but downright offensive, opinions results in the filter coming off (to different degrees) for everyone. Some people enjoy stirring the pot. You think of those as "trolls". Other people may be misinterpreted, the tone of their posts seeming more severe than it would if you could hear them represent themselves in a discussion that also engaged their voice and/or facial expressions and/or gestures. Finally, some people are just angry. For whatever reason, they've been set off and they're blowing off steam.

So what to take from all of this? Ignore the trolls, be tolerant of the angry (they need it the most), engage and surround yourself with people that rock and, in general, try to follow Will Wheaton's one rule: "Don't be a d*ck."
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I notice this too, not just here but all over the internet. So many angry, bitter or toxic people. I can't say I understand why this is a thing, or if it's always been this way and I only noticed it recently, but I just try to distance myself from it or stay lurking in threads where hostility runs amok. I find it's usually pretty fruitless to engage in conversations that derail from debate/idea exchange into insult hurling, cruelty and butt hurt. I'd rather conserve my energy to be used for something positive.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I also think it's common for people to read anger in internet posts that isn't there. Someone might be saying something in a blunt way, but that doesn't mean they're angry. Maybe they're just typing in a hurry.

As for why people can't disagree nicely: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/why-cant-humans-just-disagree-nicely/
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    We're hungry.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Why are people on the internet so...angry? :huh: Every day on these forums there are multiple posts of someone just ripping apart some other person, or type of person, or group of people. They seem to be personally offended by the actions of people they've never even met, and it's always over the most inconsequential things. I really can't relate and am genuinely curious as to what makes some of you guys so angry about what other people do or say.

Welcome to Rageaholics Anomynous
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQ9uyOow5g
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    We're hungry.

:laugh:

But really.. Life can be a B and the internet is an easy and convenient place for people to lay out their anger out on people. It's also just as easy to type something and have it misunderstood by other readers as online it's difficult to interpret tone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I also think it's common for people to read anger in internet posts that isn't there. Someone might be saying something in a blunt way, but that doesn't mean they're angry. Maybe they're just typing in a hurry.

As for why people can't disagree nicely: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/why-cant-humans-just-disagree-nicely/

This...I've seen people assume I was angry or ticked off when in fact I wasn't...with most people it takes a lot for an absolute stranger to make them angry...

I just don't sugar coat things...I am blunt and to the point.

About the only thing that has ticked me off here are these young women who have an eating disorder and random friends who don't seem to really get it..congratulate them on being under their calorie goals...I mean these are people without eating disorders just randomly liking that status or saying you go...and it just makes me shake my head really...then delete them from my friends list..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bluntness is often taken for snark.

also- some people are just angry and cranky and don't deal well with stupid.

In which case they need to stay away from stupid (often the internet)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Some people have a low tolerance to derp
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anger? What anger? I've seen plenty of debates on here and engaged in a few myself, but I think it's all just to get a point across. Sometimes you have to be direct, and that is often mistaken for rudeness.

It's just the internet. If you can't hear tone of voice or see facial expression, it's hard to distinguish emotions behind the words.

Edited because I'm a freak about grammar.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I had a woman send me a PM once going OFF on me for "bullying" her and being "rude". I didn't even know who this woman was! I looked back at my previous posts and it was because I said she's probably not losing weight because she's eating too many calories. Just like that. :laugh: Crazy B. I just told her to please report me to a moderator if she felt anything I was saying was inappropriate.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I get angry when other people are stupid.

HTH, good luck on your journey, OP!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I can't recall ever being angry about anything on MFP.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I got angry when I first saw your profile picture, convinced myself that I could do it, then faceplanted on the first try.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I got angry when I first saw your profile picture, convinced myself that I could do it, then faceplanted on the first try.

Life is hard
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There are angry people in the world. And there are nice people. Smart people, dumb people, good people, bad people. Lol, everyone has access to the internet. What gave you the assumption that only nice people have internet???
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of people on MFP are AWESOME, supportive, funny, insightful, cool, etc.

There is a tiny contingent of folks who I think are not emotionally healthy and they use the "safety" of a keyboard to vent their anger, frustration and seem to delight in trying to shame others to make themselves feel better. There was a thread the other day that was eventually deleted where some people attacked a woman for asking what they deemed a stupid question. Anyone who gets an ego boost from putting others down is just plain sad to me. But again, I think the majority of folks here are great.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I attribute it more to people being over sensitive and/or sheltered, rather than others being "angry". Just because someone says something that is in disagreement, not what one wants to hear, contrary to a stedfast belief doesn't constitute anger, being mean, or bullying.

I blame the "everyone gets a participation, don't say anything I don't want to hear or it's bullying crowd."
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It's also de-individuation. Nobody knows who you are, what you look like or where you live, therefore you can be who you want to be. Ripping someone a new *kitten*-hole might be your biggest desire in the real world, but lack the ability, so do it on the internet because you can.