Angry People

Options

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if I don't like where a post is headed or I strongly disagree with what is being discussed, then I back out of the thread.

It's like TV, if you don't like what's on, change the channel... :tongue:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    lemme get this straight...you are equating people posting a different opinion on the internet to shooting someone?
    Well yeah, my kids now have to grow up as orphans because some anonymous person disagreed with me on the internet.

Totally the same thing.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    I think the internet is seen as the new frontier. Some people monitor themselves far more loosely than they might in the real world. Some people are disenfranchised in the real world; feel they have no voice, nobody listening to them etc. Some people say what they think with no concept on how their words might be perceived. "it's not rude, it's just plain speaking" - that's a cop-out. We're losing empathy and replacing it with sugary one line meaningless platitudes. Support isn't posting a gif or liking a status. Support is far wider-reaching that that. Sadly our computer is our kingdom and, in our kingdom, we rule. Some more kindly than others.

I'm sure some will disagree. My opinion, your opinion. That's life, right?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why are people on the internet so...angry? :huh: Every day on these forums there are multiple posts of someone just ripping apart some other person, or type of person, or group of people. They seem to be personally offended by the actions of people they've never even met, and it's always over the most inconsequential things. I really can't relate and am genuinely curious as to what makes some of you guys so angry about what other people do or say.

Many reasons:

-Some people are cowards in real life and use the internet to lash out at others while hiding behind their keyboards.
    -Some people actually have serious anger issues.
    -Some people have absolutely no patience with others; virtually every little thing that anyone else does annoys them like crazy and makes them go from sweet and nice to snarky b**** mode in 0.5 seconds flat.
    -Some people truly mean well, but their direct and "straight to the point" style of writing comes across as rude over the internet because no one can see their facial expressions or hear their tone of voice.
    -Some people are overly sensitive and take offense at virtually everything.
    -Some people were never taught how to communicate with others and disagree and debate with civility and grace; they interpret a simple disagreeing response as "being mean."
    -Some people are either a little slow or just too logical and literal and as a result, are incapable of detecting sarcasm.
    -Some people are a little boring and have no sense of humor and no appetite for comic relief.
    -Finally, some people are just plain rude, snarky, and negative all the time and they couldn't care less about social grace or being kind and considerate to others. They justify their behavior by saying things like "I'm just blunt. I say exactly what I think and don't sugarcoat the truth. That's just how I am and people just need to accept that." Funny thing is these people are blunt and honest with everyone but themselves; they're not willing to accept the "non-sugarcoated truth" that they're not blunt, they're just rude! :laugh:

Pretty sure I covered everyone there, myself included! :tongue: :laugh:

I'm the last one. Except that I accept I'm rude. Honest, blunt, to the point...and rude.

That's just me though.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I blame TOM and Obama.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    bluntness is often taken for snark.

also- some people are just angry and cranky and don't deal well with stupid.

In which case they need to stay away from stupid (often the internet)

Wow, you just summed me up. Completely. :angry:

(I mostly do avoid the general forums here-sometimes the temptation to peek gets the better of me- and FB just to stay away from "stupid" because me getting frustrated and annoyed only hurts me.)
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Why are people on the internet so...angry? :huh: Every day on these forums there are multiple posts of someone just ripping apart some other person, or type of person, or group of people. They seem to be personally offended by the actions of people they've never even met, and it's always over the most inconsequential things. I really can't relate and am genuinely curious as to what makes some of you guys so angry about what other people do or say.

Many reasons:

-Some people are cowards in real life and use the internet to lash out at others while hiding behind their keyboards.
    -Some people have absolutely no patience with others; virtually every little thing that anyone else does annoys them like crazy and makes them go from sweet and nice to snarky b**** mode in 0.5 seconds flat.
    -Some people truly mean well, but their direct and "straight to the point" style of writing comes across as rude over the internet because no one can see their facial expressions or hear their tone of voice.
    -Some people were never taught how to communicate with others and disagree and debate with civility and grace; they interpret a simple disagreeing response as "being mean."
    -Some people are either a little slow or just too logical and literal and as a result, are incapable of detecting sarcasm.
    -Some people are a little boring and have no sense of humor and no appetite for comic relief.
    -Finally, some people are just plain rude, snarky, and negative all the time and they couldn't care less about social grace or being kind and considerate to others. They justify their behavior by saying things like "I'm just blunt. I say exactly what I think and don't sugarcoat the truth. That's just how I am and people just need to accept that." Funny thing is these people are blunt and honest with everyone but themselves; they're not willing to accept the "non-sugarcoated truth" that they're not blunt, they're just rude! :laugh:

I'm the last one. Except that I accept I'm rude. Honest, blunt, to the point...and rude.

That's just me though.

At least you acknowledge and accept it though! :laugh:

I'll openly admit that I can sometimes be rude and snarky (and justify that by telling myself I'm just being honest) and that I can sometimes be overly sensitive! :tongue:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    the people that are angry, their anger is more about them and their own "Stuff" than anything to do with the person they are directing it at....

i dont take it personally, it really speaks more about that person spewing the negativity than anyone else...

I agree with you. When I was a young Psych.Social worker in Germany we had to have monthly sessions in our faculty to help us along with our professional development. I remember one Prof . telling us over and over again that in the field of Socialwork and Counselling we would come across many angry people. He told us that most angry people are scared and fearful people. They use anger as a mask . They usually are scared to not find or have love in their lives, scared of criticism, scared of loneliness, scared of poverty, scared of not being successful, scared to not be accepted, scared to not have reachable goals in life, scared not to reach them, scared to risk anything, scared to be thought of as a fraud.......I still remember most of the list. It was really helpful, but I still left Social work after a couple of years.....:o).
    I agree with you and usually think that the posts by many angry members say more about themselves than about the people they try to put down.....and that's why I could not take those posts personal either.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I get angry when other people are stupid.

HTH, good luck on your journey, OP!

Someone already said that.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    2nd Amendment doe.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got this thread posted in the nick of time. I think we're going for a record for February - "the most 'mean people on the internet' threads in a month" award. Are we in the double digits yet? We have to be.

Everyone get out their bingo cards!!!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    2nd Amendment doe.

bear_arms_xlarge.jpeg

if youre thinking of freedom of speech....that's the first one.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :angry:
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    dontwanta.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Many reasons:

That's just me though.

At least you acknowledge and accept it though! :laugh:

I'll openly admit that I can sometimes be rude and snarky (and justify that by telling myself I'm just being honest) and that I can sometimes be overly sensitive! :tongue:

I am just a wise *kitten*
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    dontwanta.gif

lolz
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    2nd Amendment doe.

bear_arms_xlarge.jpeg

if youre thinking of freedom of speech....that's the first one.

This needs quoted at least 100 times.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    2nd Amendment doe.

Huh?