Angry People

Options

Replies

• SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I think its because there are not really any consequences for your actions - I could be horribly rude and mean and terrible on the internet and what is anybody really going to do except call me an *kitten*? If I was rude and horrible in real life - I would probably get what was coming to me.

Also, how easy is it to hide behind an avatar or a screen name? Super easy
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think the internet is seen as the new frontier. Some people monitor themselves far more loosely than they might in the real world. Some people are disenfranchised in the real world; feel they have no voice, nobody listening to them etc. Some people say what they think with no concept on how their words might be perceived. "it's not rude, it's just plain speaking" - that's a cop-out. We're losing empathy and replacing it with sugary one line meaningless platitudes. Support isn't posting a gif or liking a status. Support is far wider-reaching that that. Sadly our computer is our kingdom and, in our kingdom, we rule. Some more kindly than others.

I'm sure some will disagree. My opinion, your opinion. That's life, right?
    It's funny that many people expect interactions on the internet to be exactly like real life, in certain ways, but at the same time don't notice things like how creepy/weird it would be to walk into a room of strangers and announce to everyone, "who wants to be my friend?"

The format of conversations is totally different (non-linear and multi-branched and with all kinds of time delays) on a forum as well.

There's no good reason to think that online anonymous interactions should mirror real life interactions in all aspects.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    2nd Amendment doe.

bear_arms_xlarge.jpeg

if youre thinking of freedom of speech....that's the first one.

This needs quoted at least 100 times.

:laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

(Not sure what it has to do with this thread though.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not.

I say probably because I get accused of meanness occasionally. But personally I think I'm delightful. :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

Because shooting people is the same as forum posts? I think?
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

jlaw-nod.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Some people think you are angry if you give short, to the point answers. Maybe you are one of them? I've really only seen a select few get really bent out of shape on these forums and they usually get shut down really quickly.

Stop being so sensitive. :flowerforyou:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    We're hungry.

Best reply! :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    people_skills_are_rusty_supernatural_zps68ab4598.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    people_skills_are_rusty_supernatural_zps68ab4598.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm a lot nicer on the MFP forums than I am in real life...because in interpersonal interactions, I can judge the reaction and push the limits. In text, I take a more measured approach and am slow to escalate it. Well, that the CG (all hail) in real life isn't nearly as restrictive as it is here.

*shrug*

Same for me.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

jlaw-nod.gif
    Didn't someone equate shooting others at the movies to being mean on the internet?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

jlaw-nod.gif
    Didn't someone equate shooting others at the movies to being mean on the internet?

I hope so because if not I completely pulled that post out of thin air. :laugh:
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    Some people think you are angry if you give short, to the point answers. Maybe you are one of them? I've really only seen a select few get really bent out of shape on these forums and they usually get shut down really quickly.

Stop being so sensitive. :flowerforyou:

Lol I'm not upset or anything, just curious. :flowerforyou:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    <--- 2nd amendment.

jlaw-nod.gif

I hope so because if not I completely pulled that post out of thin air. :laugh:

Yep. Right here.
    For the same reason we have people shooting people over texting during previews in the movie theater or because the people in the car they parked close to is booming their music too loud. People seem to want control over everyone else, but they lack the ability to control themselves.

hold on....lemme.....wait.... *reads again*

lemme get this straight...you are equating people posting a different opinion on the internet to shooting someone?

your-post-is-stupid-release-the-lions.jpg
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I've been reading these boards for two months and I haven't felt any anger. People are blunt, everyone has an opinion (it's like real life!) and other people are passive-aggressive and sensitive (just like real life!)

I've seen more passive aggressive posts on this board that cause the blunt people to just speak their mind, and then people get all angry when the blunt people speak their mind when in reality it was the passive aggressive person starting the whole damn thing...

For a weight loss board, I could imagine actual bullying, rudeness and mean spirited things being said, but they're not.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

..nothing to see here...

...move along...

Move along.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think its because there are not really any consequences for your actions - I could be horribly rude and mean and terrible on the internet and what is anybody really going to do except call me an *kitten*? If I was rude and horrible in real life - I would probably get what was coming to me.

Also, how easy is it to hide behind an avatar or a screen name? Super easy

You're right, they're different, but not in the way you think.

If you're horribly rude and mean and terrible on MFP, you die. Seriously. MFP will kill your online persona. Well, okay, they don't actually start there. They start by completely silencing you in public. They take away your voice. Then if you continue being rude and mean and terrible, they kill you.

If you're horribly rude and mean and terrible in real life, you *may* die...but probably not. In fact, you'll fit right in with all the other horribly rude and mean and terrible people.

TL;DR - the bar set for "meanness" on MFP is *waaaaaay* lower than in real life and the consequences are relatively far more severe.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    speaking of angry …is reddy in here yet?