Barefoot in the office

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Work in a hospital...the thought of walking through here barefoot makes me cringe. Of course, close-toed shoes in patient care areas, but even in the administrative areas I wouldn't. I mean, there are THINGS on these floors that...yeah, yuck, and then anyone having trekked through that and then into our area? 'Nuff said, LOL...
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I often don't wear shoes when going to the car, in the garden and have been known to take them off on nights out too (:noway: :ohwell: ) so taking them off at work is no big deal to me. However, we have a very strict shoe policy (they dictate the type of shoes we can wear), so taking them off under the desk is fine but they must go back on to walk anywhere. However, I won't let me feet touch the carpet, I've seen their method of cleaning and throwing a bucket of water on it would be more effective.

So, your work floor is dirtier than your garden?

I work in offices attached to a factory, the work floor is disgusting! It's a totally strange way of thinking about it, but I've always been happy to walk barefoot outside, just not in the office.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    No, never at work.

At home, shoes come off in the foyer. I wear sandals or flip flops dedicated for indoor use (have separate ones for outdoors). If I'm in a carpeted room like right now, I'm barefoot. Can't stand to walk barefoot on "hard" floors (e.g. vinyl hardwood, etc.) because I feel every grain of dirt, crumb, etc.
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be barefoot on floors I have not cleaned myself
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When my mother worked in the back, in the finance department of Montgomery Ward back in the late 50's to early 60's she was required to wear a skirt--and the hemlines were all above the knees--and heels, even the height of the heels was dictated, about 2", I think. She said it was SO miserable. The big whigs were proud of their air conditioning and worked in suits and ties so it was cold in summer and in winter the heat didn't get close to the floor. It didn't use to matter whether you were seen by the public or not--you had to look professional. Things have changed!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a private office that's hidden away in a corner, and I don't see customers, so sometimes I'll kick my sneakers off and just wear my socks if I want to be more comfortable. When I leave the office to go to the copier, bathroom, or break room, obviously I'll put my shoes back on. I'd never go full-blown barefoot. That's just going too far, even in my own office. Then again, I never go barefoot at home either, always have socks on, so I think it's more my general dislike of feet than anything else.
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital...so no way!
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    I work from a home office so pretty much anything goes.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Yes, I slip my shoes off while sitting at my desk..
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If I'm in my office and wearing shoes that easily slip on and off, then yes. I'm not going through the trouble of untying laces and taking socks off just to be barefoot.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrwds5p6F51ql20dco1_500.gif
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I Cavehooker it in the office all the time!! :tongue: :tongue:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I kicked my shoes off regularly at my last job - a kindergarten teacher. I had to keep sock on though (and put the shoes back on when I left the classroom). But I go barefoot most of the time now.

I even walk around outside barefoot. A lot. I really think the need for shoes is more a social invention than anything (barring weather conditions ... although I've gone stocking-foot outside in winter because my boots ended up being too small and gave me blisters). As long as the skin on our feet is intact, there is little risk of germs/infection, and isn't that what immune systems are for?

Don't get me wrong, I wear shoes where socially necessitated. But I love barefoot!

ETA: I love my fancy high heels, too. I just don't convince myself that they are for anything other than fashion .. usually open-toe or peep-toe pumps. And, yep, I kick them off quite often, too :laugh: But I sure feel snazzy when I'm wearing them.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Work in a hospital...the thought of walking through here barefoot makes me cringe. Of course, close-toed shoes in patient care areas, but even in the administrative areas I wouldn't. I mean, there are THINGS on these floors that...yeah, yuck, and then anyone having trekked through that and then into our area? 'Nuff said, LOL...

Ok, that may be one place where I wouldn't want to go barefoot and rely on my immune system.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'll go barefoot at home, inside & outside, but I won't at work. I'll take my shoes off at my desk if my feet are hot/uncomfortable, but I'll put them back on to walk around. I work in a truck dealership/mechanic & our janitor sucks, so it's not always the cleanest place.

There's a lady I work with that is barefoot 99% of the time. Usually doesn't bother me, except she goes into the bathroom that way, and I find it a bit gross.

ETA: Although where I live everyone takes their shoes off indoors, I feel weird walking barefoot in another person's house.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I always take off my shoes at my desk! Put them back on before walking around, though.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    This is in response to the unsanitary question:

I was at my podiatrist's office...and I heard her yelling at a teenage patient: "Don't ever walk around barefoot! There are wart viruses everywhere! That's how you got warts!" I'm assuming that she was talking about warts on his feet.

So yeah, I'm afraid of that now...and stepping on something sharp and rusty...and having to get a tetanus shot, b/c once I saw a guy at the beach with a giant nail stuck in the bottom of his foot. Yeah, I'm afraid of that too.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm at work now and currently barefoot. We don't have carpet. I keep my slippers in my desk drawer for when I need to walk somewhere. I work nights, so no one cares around here.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I dance barefoot.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bare foot all the time when home. I do occasionally take them off while sitting at my desk though.