Should we eat man made/cooked, or all Natural?

Options
123457»

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.

Dude, if you're going to DO a diet, you really should learn to spell it.

Also, just yesterday you posted a thread pushing the raw vegan diet ...

I wasn't pushing any diet. I had just ended a trial of Raw Vegan during the month of February as an experiment. I was looking for athletes who subscribed to the diet so I could have conversation about my experience with it. I think you missed the original post my dear or you bought in to the hype that ensued. Again, I never, ever, push advice on others. Period. I'm not qualified to speak for anyone but myself. As far as spelling goes, really? I don't take it personally because you don't know me, but, its mean spirited don't you think?

Just brining up an extreme diet plan like 80/10/10 or atkins is enough to look like you're pushing a diet. I see you've experimented with these and not endorsed them but public forums are probably not the place to talk about extremes unless you want the kind of crap you've been getting.
    Thanks man. Well, food is an emotional topic. It's at the center of how we look, what we weigh, and is socially and culturally engrained into our day to day lives. It's part of who we are. So it can be an emotionally charged conversation. That said, I don't think anyone should give advice unless asked, and even then, the receiver needs to take that advice into the context of experimentation of how it works with their own body, and social and cultural environments. I get raving upset when people who obviously have no business giving fitness advice (yes, based on how they look and how much they weight) to others that are obviously way more fit. This is the go to a skinny doctor if you're trying to lose weight conversation. It's not shaming or hating, it's just the facts, in my book. You put yourself out their giving advice, better be ready to swallow some crow if you ain't fit within the context of the conversation and people involved.

Personally, I never give advice, unless asked. Why would I?

I don't think anorexics should be giving advice either.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know that the OP is a big advocate for a raw diet so I think that's where this topic comes from. I definitely know that cooking veggies and fruits does deprive them of some of their nutritional values, and I understand the benefits of a raw diet. There are "man-made" things that I love to eat however, and for me, I want to fit them into my diet. If I couldn't have wine, or some pasta, or pie.....well I just would not be a happy girl!

To be clear, me the OP isn't a big Advocate of the raw diet. I tried it for the month of February, as I did the Adkins diet last year. Me the OP is actually on a search for a long term diet life style and is currently open to ideas. Open minded. I never, ever, ever, tell people how to eat, train, or otherwise.

I wasn't pushing any diet. I had just ended a trial of Raw Vegan during the month of February as an experiment. I was looking for athletes who subscribed to the diet so I could have conversation about my experience with it. I think you missed the original post my dear or you bought in to the hype that ensued. Again, I never, ever, push advice on others. Period. I'm not qualified to speak for anyone but myself. As far as spelling goes, really? I don't take it personally because you don't know me, but, its mean spirited don't you think?

Just brining up an extreme diet plan like 80/10/10 or atkins is enough to look like you're pushing a diet. I see you've experimented with these and not endorsed them but public forums are probably not the place to talk about extremes unless you want the kind of crap you've been getting.
    Thanks man. Well, food is an emotional topic. It's at the center of how we look, what we weigh, and is socially and culturally engrained into our day to day lives. It's part of who we are. So it can be an emotionally charged conversation. That said, I don't think anyone should give advice unless asked, and even then, the receiver needs to take that advice into the context of experimentation of how it works with their own body, and social and cultural environments. I get raving upset when people who obviously have no business giving fitness advice (yes, based on how they look and how much they weight) to others that are obviously way more fit. This is the go to a skinny doctor if you're trying to lose weight conversation. It's not shaming or hating, it's just the facts, in my book. You put yourself out their giving advice, better be ready to swallow some crow if you ain't fit within the context of the conversation and people involved.

I think we just closed that loop. Thanks man. as you can see, I couldn't agree more.
  • BenSalazar
    Options

hmm. that sounded personal. If you're referencing the guy on the bike, that's not anorexia. looks pretty damn fit to me. But, that's your beef.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

hmm. that sounded personal. If you're referencing the guy on the bike, that's not anorexia. looks pretty damn fit to me. But, that's your beef.

If you think so, it must be true
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Losing 9 pounds in a month is fairly significant considering the OP was 166 pounds in the last week of January and is 157 now. And at 10% BF end of January and increasing strength at the gym indicates something changed over those 5 weeks. Ernie, thanks for sharing the thoughts and process, amazing weight loss.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Isn't calling someone anorexic against the rules? I think you guys circumvent that by calling people "orthorexic"

please get with it you SunofaBeach14.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Isn't calling someone anorexic against the rules? I think you guys circumvent that by calling people "orthorexic"

Interesting
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Interesting

I thought it was clever. :bigsmile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Interesting

I thought it was clever. :bigsmile:

I find reading comprehension skills clever. To each their own . . .
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

^^ This. If the OP is already an advocate for one point of view then the topic is a little misleading. Personally, I can't do raw OR vegan although I am a vegetarian. I needs my eggs and cheese!! Not to mention all that nummy, nummy bread!!

Qo8Pzt3.jpg

Edited because the picture wouldn't post.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think we can all eat what we want. That being said I personally prefer to eat foods in their natural form that I prepare myself and do so most of the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that our most obese population lies in the south and mid west of the US. Many of the people (especially in the south) pride themselves in their own home cooking. Problem is their own home cooking is relatively very high in caloric value.
    So if one were to say it's just the "quality" of the food, they are only seeing part of the picture.
    Whether one eats all natural (which would be very hard IMO) or has man made foods in their diet, it's STILL going to come down to the calorie count.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Let me just say that our most obese population lies in the south and mid west of the US. Many of the people (especially in the south) pride themselves in their own home cooking. Problem is their own home cooking is relatively very high in caloric value.
    So if one were to say it's just the "quality" of the food, they are only seeing part of the picture.
    Whether one eats all natural (which would be very hard IMO) or has man made foods in their diet, it's STILL going to come down to the calorie count.

IDEA Fitness member

you're just using a different interpretation of the word "quality"

you're talking about quality of taste, we're talking about quality of nutrition. simple.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    First of all, "all natural" literally has no meaning.

But if I cook whole foods, which category does it fall under?
  • ernestbecker
    Options

^^ This. If the OP is already an advocate for one point of view then the topic is a little misleading. Personally, I can't do raw OR vegan although I am a vegetarian. I needs my eggs and cheese!! Not to mention all that nummy, nummy bread!!

Qo8Pzt3.jpg

Edited because the picture wouldn't post.

To be clear, again. Me OP isn't an advocate of "any" particular diet and I don't "intentionally" mis-lead anyone. I am seeking information and learning what others consider important. Not hating, just saying. Thank you.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Chimps don't cook. They spend 5 hours every day just chewing their food.

Good luck! :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

you're talking about quality of taste, we're talking about quality of nutrition. simple.
    You mean natural hamhocks and pigs feet aren't nutritious enough? Or gumbo? One could definitely use the highest quality foods (au natural) and combine them and still have a very high calorie entree. So no, not just talking about taste.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ernestbecker
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You mean natural hamhocks and pigs feet aren't nutritious enough? Or gumbo? One could definitely use the highest quality foods (au natural) and combine them and still have a very high calorie entree. So no, not just talking about taste.

IDEA Fitness member

I've come to the conclusion we're all pretty much screwed no matter what Not hating here just saying a great deal of our food supply is genetically modified anyway. Pretty much nothing is natural anymore. Even certified organic foods are impacted due to the fact they grow right next to farmers that use modified seeds and the over spray due to wind or seed application spills over into the organic fields. I think this post has no merit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I've come to the conclusion we're all pretty much screwed no matter what Not hating here just saying a great deal of our food supply is genetically modified anyway. Pretty much nothing is natural anymore. Even certified organic foods are impacted due to the fact they grow right next to farmers that use modified seeds and the over spray due to wind or seed application spills over into the organic fields. I think this post has no merit.
    Not really. Most GMO is corn and soy in the USA and if the organic farmer down the road isn't growing corn or soy then there is no concern. It's the transfer of seed that is problematic. Hamhocks are definitely out of danger.