are potatoes really bad?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Also I just saw you're right about them being complex carbs, but overall sweet potatoes are still a better option IMO.

Potatoes have less calories and boiled potato is the number one rated food item on the satiety index.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're *really* bad. Just misunderstood. Though I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley. They make me uncomfortable the way their eyes are all over me.

ROFL
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    And let us not forget that traditionally Vodka is made from potatoes. :drinker:

Now we're talking!!!! ;-)

I love potatoes - whatever variety including sweets and yams. And vodka ain't bad either...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    And to you there may be no bad foods, but to some there are. For me, I have a inflammatory disease. There are some foods that can send me to the emergency room, so to ME they are bad foods. So to make a broad statement across the board that there are no bad foods, is just not true.

I know this is knit picking but I think there is an important distinction to be made...
    Just because you can not tolerate a food does not make the food bad in and of itself. You have an inflammatory disease, and therefore have to avoid certain foods. That still does not make the food bad. It just makes it a food that others can eat and unfortunately you can not. You criticize a person for making an across the board statement, but you are doing the same thing.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat a baked potato 5/7 days a week and I'm losing fat so how bad can they really be? Bake it, top it with fat free shredded cheese and salsa. Protein, potassium, dairy and veggies.. Only thing that could go wrong with that is if you top it with a mountain of cheese. Plus, potassium helps you keep off that extra water weight. 10/10 for potatoes in my book.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just have to say potatoes are EVIL..

But that is just because I do not like them in any of their various forms.

EWW!!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yes, potatoes are eeeevil. Observe:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_898582.jpg
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No they are not bad..in moderation. Good source of potassium. Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's better to call foods healthy and unhealthy rather than good are bad. Some foods, no matter how good they taste or make you feel have little or no nutritional value. While some foods that have amazing health benefits taste bad. Also some foods that are nutritious like potatoes, lose some of there benefits when prepared in certain ways (fried) or eaten in excess. So if you make smart choices on healthy foods, you can splurge on the unhealthy foods from time to time.

No foods are unhealthy or healthy either. The entire problem is with labeling food at all. Pay attention to you macro and micro needs and you can eat anything you want, period.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    How tiny does a 100 calorie potato have to be? I had to do a double take weighing my lunch potato yesterday morning and it was 345g (skin and all). Taking off the skin after microwave reduced it by 75g. This was a pretty normal looking white potato!
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Love me some potatoes!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    People have lived off potatoes (SEE: The Irish potato famine)

I think potatoes are a great source of nutritious carbs, and can easily be part of a balanced diet.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are considered a SUPERFOOD now - they are VERY GOOD for you

The ultimate wonder food': Potatoes have more nutrients, vitamins and minerals than traditional 'superfoods'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2142256/The-ultimate-wonder-food-The-humble-potato-nutrients-vitamins-minerals-traditional-superfoods.html#ixzz2uywvLfJ1
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Potassium, Vitamin C, Fiber...what's not to love? I eat potatoes all the time and I'm pretty healthy.

I read somewhere that when cooked and then chilled, the structure of the starches changes so that they are more slowly absorbed (lower glycemic index), thus causing less of a spike in your blood sugar. That's not really that big of a deal to me, since I have great blood sugar levels every time I'm tested, but it might matter more to me if I was insulin resistant.