Binging vs overeating

Options
12346»

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Though binge eating is often characterized as a compulsion, something done without control, there is also such a thing as compulsive overeating. COE (compulsive overeating) and BED (binge eating disorder) are extremely similar, so the point is probably moot, but here the distinction lies between simply eating too much or too often throughout the day (overeating) as opposed to eating far too much in one sitting (binge eating.)

BOTH can be caused my emotional issues and a messed up relationship with food. Neither is healthy behavior.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That's because you ignored this:
    Lack of Impulse Control / Discipline: Going back to the pantry over & over, mindlessly munching, eating when you aren't hungry because something is "SO good" or "calling to you", etc. In some cases it can also be a sign that you are missing something your body needs (too few calories, not enough protein, needing a certain nutrient). Again, this is NORMAL for the average person on occasion.

Bingeing: A compulsive, psychologically driven behavior indicative of a total loss of emotional control that happens to involve food. Chronic bingeing is much more closely related to alcoholism or drug abuse than it is to over-eating. This is NOT NORMAL. Occasionally a one-time binge can fall into the "normal" category if associated directly w/ acute depression (such as the post-breakup bucket of iced cream)... Although usually these situations are actually just a more extreme example of a lack of impulse control (above).

Consistent overeating - NOT binging as most of the people with binge problems in this thread have experienced - is how I gained weight in college. We had an all-you-can-eat buffet as our dining hall, and I'd load my plate up with everything that looked good and eat it, regardless of hunger levels. There were no emotions driving this, just ignorance and not listening to my body's hunger signals or nutritional needs very well.

Binging, as people in this thread DO experience, is emotionally driven and not really about the food. I have EDNOS issues - bulimic tendencies, anorexic tendencies, but nothing that places me into one category or the other. I started purging after normal-sized meals out of desperation to lose weight because my then-boyfriend made me feel crappy about my body. That developed into an association of coping with problems by purging, so I started learning to binge-eat just so I could throw up. A lot of other people just binge to cope with emotional issues. The point is that this is a mental problem, whereas consistently overeating is based more in a lack of awareness about what your body needs, maybe because you were raised to clean your plate, you think you're hungry when you're nutrient-deprived or dehydrated, etc. Neither are healthy, but they are entirely different issues and need to be addressed differently.

This.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am well aware of what "broad" is and some find that term insulting...and could very well report your post as name calling in the forums is against ToS.

This is my last reply, honestly, I don't know why I involve myself with these message boards because this is what always happens. You said you would report me for calling you a broad in that mess of quotes above my post, did you not?

I am far from angry, don't know where that's coming from. I am however unbelievable frustrated by how you continue to argue when you have no base knowledge about binge eating. Opinions do not equal facts. Read up on it, if you don't understand it after that, sorry I can't help you there. Later.

Note bolded part. No where does it say I find it insulting or I would be reporting you...but by this I can assume I am the "broad"...

I am not arguing that's the thing. I agree binge eating is a mental disorder that requires help from professionals. I agree it is very unhealthy. I agree it does damage not only to your body but your mind and your emotions...where did I say it didn't do all those things????

ETA: and the assumption of anger comes from calling women broads and saying you can't fix this kind of stupid...

From page one:
    I just don't see a huge difference between the two...I don't believe that binging is "an out of control" thing imho it's a decision you make to stand there and eat mindlessly regardless of the taste, hunger etc. esp if it's the way you describe it...which I have never experienced...for me it was more of a "I can't believe it's gone I didn't even taste it...where did it all go" Just like over eating is a choice to eat it because you are bored, it tastes good or because it's there...

and
    Oh so eating when you are full isn't losing control???? Eating 3 plates full of pasta when you are full on one...okay sure.

Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

No where in those quotes does it say it wasn't a symptom of a mental disorder, nor did I say it didn't have a damaging effect on your emotions and body, what I said was that you choose food and for the OP she admitted she made that choice not to call her husband and made that choice to not have her kids help because she wanted the food to herself and didn't want to stop eating.

As well my total thing all along is that it doesn't matter they are both unhealthy relationships with food..as NDJ put it much better then me...and regardless of what it is called whomever does either needs to re-evaluate what they are doing either by saying no to themselves or getting to the root of the problem through conciling etc.

ETA: I still don't see a huge difference between the two are mentioned above they are both a sign of an unhealthy relationship with food...esp in the context of the OP.

You said it had nothing to do with "losing control." It's the compulsion and loss of control that makes it a disorder.

Also, you said that over-eating is never fine. In truth, over-eating is disordered eating when it is done compulsively and consistently. Planning on a 4kcal meal on Turkey day with the family is NOT "unhealthy" at all. There is a distinct difference between compulsive behavior that is out of control and pre-planned controlled behavior.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I liken bingeing to being a drug addict and overeating as being an occasional/recreational drug user. An alcoholic vs. a social drinker.

Bingeing is defined and treated differently than overeating. It's an actual psychological disorder, categorized in the DSM as Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (meaning not Anorexia or Bulimia). Some people use it for coping in situations where others might turn to drugs or alcohol.

Anyway, one is a disorder and the other is a fairly normal human behavior.