LADIES: Do you workout on your period?

Options
Sorry for the TMI guys. But girls, do you work out on your period? I feel like its kind of crazy to forgo 4-5 days of working out because of cramps and the obvious other problems (LOL) but I can't help it. I love working out but for those few days, I'm not in the mood and I just feel like a dying slug hahaha.

Any thoughts?? I usually go on long walks during my those days but thats about it...

Replies

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I do. I do every type of exercise except for water exercise so I have to miss aqua zumba (boohoo) and if its a particularly bad one (which I am prone to) I can miss 2 weeks of aqua zumba :cry:

My other workouts make me feel great whatever day of the month it is :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have no reason not to.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am not a hardcore super exerciser type anyway. But yes I still do normal daily activity such as long walks, couple hours of deep-cleaning my house, or some relatively easy hiking. However I don't go hard on the bike trails when I am cramping. To me that would just be stupid.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I'm lucky, my TOM is short and I barely notice it, so there's no reason not to. If i felt like crap the whole time, I might not.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Not an excuse.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps to alleviate the dying slug feelings. Endorphins, baby.
  • blancablanca
    Options
    Yes, why not? If your stomach or something its on too much pain, just take some rest, a pill and then you can do whatever you want! You may feel more tired but thats normal!
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    During those times, exercise has even more benefits. It combats the sluggishness and if you drink enough water when you exercise it helps with the whole water retention and other "puffiness" issues too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Why would you not?
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No....I lay in bed all day. I do not move anything.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The thing is - I would love to work out with just typical cramps. But not to make excuse but I have craaaazy bad pelvic and back pain that makes even sitting down hard. Looks like it might be a good idea to push past that though? :-)
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps cramps and all the other symptoms. Somewhere I read that women burn more calories when working out at TOM.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do but I don't get any real symptoms from mine. Everyone is different so you just have to decide for yourself. Many ladies find that light exercise actually helps with cramps and the bloating feeling.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    When I was working out consistently, yes.

I found that even some light exercises helped with cramps. The more I exercised, the less I had those cramps each month anyways :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wait until my Advil have kicked in and yep. But my period is 300X better now that I've lost weight, I hardly even need it anymore.

The whole 'endorphins will help' thing has always been BS as far as I'm concerned though, but I think my endorphins are broken.
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do all the same exercising I do any other time. Even though I feel icky, I think the exercise helps me feel less bloated and crampy after I'm done.
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cramps and bleeding but YES I workout. I find if I work out before it comes it will make the cramps a little less painful, but ultimately I just feel better when I exercise.

I may skip a day if I become anemic... but generally I still workout. I just skip the yoga and do spin bike or run.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The thing is - I would love to work out with just typical cramps. But not to make excuse but I have craaaazy bad pelvic and back pain that makes even sitting down hard. Looks like it might be a good idea to push past that though? :-)

You can experiment and see what works and what does not, but you just have to do whats right for you :)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    It may take an extra cup of coffee, but I sure do. And I've yet to regret it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Heck yes I do! I find that my cramps are way less intense when I work out vs. when I don't work out.