LADIES: Do you workout on your period?

Options

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I just take a couple of painkillers and do my normal thing which normally run. I dread to think how my family would cope if they had to deal with me with both pmt and not running,
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't change anything about my workout during that time.. though I also don't have any severe symptoms like cramping.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    For sure. It makes me feel WAY better!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Not an excuse.

^^^^^^ Yep!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Every month...unless it's a scheduled rest day...it shortens the number of days Aunt Flo stays around to bother me...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It may be beneficial to some women, but there are many others who suffer from fibroids, endometriosis or PCOS who actually do suffer incredible pain, heavy bleeding and digestive upset along with migraines and incredible fatigue. Exercise doesn't relieve those symptoms.

I've had surgery for my endometriosis, so my periods aren't usually as bad as they used to be, but occasionally I have a horrible period where my all of my internal organs along with my uterus feel like they are on fire and being ripped out all at the same time. Those months I skip a day or two. Some months, I have hardly a cramp. Those months, I don't miss a workout.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    For some reason, posts like this cause irrational irritation. Of course I work out! I do absolutely everything that I do when I don't have it. Unless there was some sort of medical contraindication (and I do recognize that some people have legitimate health issues during their period), why on earth wouldn't you?

I hate when women act like a little blood is something to take to their beds for. God, it's a period, not a death sentence! You're going to have roughly 400 periods in your lifetime. Figure something out. Gah.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I do, but I have two enormous middle fingers for anyone who says "exercise helps with cramps!"

They lie like dogs.

Exercise during shark week has (so far) meant extra showers and maybe a slightly longer rest time. Though it hasn't occurred to me to try it yet, i'd imagine a heating pad on the lap post-workout would be pretty nice. I get terrible, curl-in-a-ball cramps for 3-4 days and there's a pretty strong hormonal/crazy component to it too, but until my doc and I can figure out how to help alleviate those symptoms I kinda feel like it's important not to let them interrupt me when I'm on a good roll.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes. most women should, and in most cases exercising makes cramps less bad.

there are some exceptions, it really depends how badly you suffer in TOM... stuff like endometriosis can make exercise at that time virtually impossible.... though if you have that level of pain you should see a doctor as it can be a sign of a medical issue and there could be some treatment for it (not always, but if you haven't seen a doc you won't know, and never let a doc tell you that severe amounts of pain in TOM is normal. Cramping is normal, crippling pain that makes it impossible to function isn't)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    This month I skipped a day. Some months I skip two days. Just depends on how I'm feeling. I don't need to work out every day to lose weight, since I stay within my calories even on days I have my period.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Just started mine today.. And I have serious issues with mine (undergoing steps for a hysterectomy) but I workout anyway. Sometimes it makes it better, sometimes it makes it a lot worse.

Today will be about a 1300+ calorie burn for me too. I did Crossfit at lunch and tonight I teach a Zumba class. I don't always have the luxury of laying at home popping pain meds and muscle relaxers with a heating pad on my back.. Especially when I have class counting on me to motivate them and who look to me for inspiration..
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    (not always, but if you haven't seen a doc you won't know, and never let a doc tell you that severe amounts of pain in TOM is normal. Cramping is normal, crippling pain that makes it impossible to function isn't)

Oh jeez... this again? You're wrong, sorry. I've had debilitating periods since I was 12. I've been to numerous gynecologists. There is *nothing* wrong with me.

I take 1-2 days of exercise off for my periods. I've missed days of school, I've missed work. It's just how my body works. We're human, we're not robots, and some of us have much more debilitating periods than others. And, some months it is worse than others.

End of argument.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually do my planned workout, but if I'm especially crampy or the flow is really heavy, I'll skip anything really high-impact - more to prevent messes than anything... (LOL, talk about TMI...)
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I do, but I have two enormous middle fingers for anyone who says "exercise helps with cramps!"

They lie like dogs.

Exercise during shark week has (so far) meant extra showers and maybe a slightly longer rest time. Though it hasn't occurred to me to try it yet, i'd imagine a heating pad on the lap post-workout would be pretty nice. I get terrible, curl-in-a-ball cramps for 3-4 days and there's a pretty strong hormonal/crazy component to it too, but until my doc and I can figure out how to help alleviate those symptoms I kinda feel like it's important not to let them interrupt me when I'm on a good roll.

Not lying. Maybe exercise doesn't help you, maybe it's because you have a medical issue that your doctor hasn't figured out yet, but that doesn't make the rest of us that say it helps liars....
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I only have a hard time of it about every other month . I do my regular routine anyway unless I have a migraine . No way am I going to work out with a headache like that.

I can't say I feel better, have more energy, or a shorter period when I exercise but I don't feel worse either.

Sometimes I get famished the week before and that is accompanied by huge mood swings. If I stay hungry - I have a harder time controlling my extremely pissy attitude. If there is any additional stress - I eat. I eat for the children. lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

They lie like dogs.

Well, you're not alone, lol. I remember actually being fine, starting my workout, and after 15 minutes the horrible cramps started...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes. most women should, and in most cases exercising makes cramps less bad.

there are some exceptions, it really depends how badly you suffer in TOM... stuff like endometriosis can make exercise at that time virtually impossible.... though if you have that level of pain you should see a doctor as it can be a sign of a medical issue and there could be some treatment for it (not always, but if you haven't seen a doc you won't know, and never let a doc tell you that severe amounts of pain in TOM is normal. Cramping is normal, crippling pain that makes it impossible to function isn't)

that's about right.

I've had one time in my life where I had to stop a work out- and I went to the bathroom and did a cold washcloth and lay on one of the benches (so gross I know). My friend said- if YOU are thinking about stopping - most people would have quit a while ago- just go home.... I hung out and finished my workout. Felt immensely better- but yeah- sometimes it happens.

For most people it helps to just carry on like normal- but there are exceptions to everything. (hence my why would you not question)
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    (not always, but if you haven't seen a doc you won't know, and never let a doc tell you that severe amounts of pain in TOM is normal. Cramping is normal, crippling pain that makes it impossible to function isn't)

Oh jeez... this again? You're wrong, sorry. I've had debilitating periods since I was 12. I've been to numerous gynecologists. There is *nothing* wrong with me.

I take 1-2 days of exercise off for my periods. I've missed days of school, I've missed work. It's just how my body works. We're human, we're not robots, and some of us have much more debilitating periods than others. And, some months it is worse than others.

End of argument.

1. what did I say that implied all women have the same amount of pain for periods? 2. And my advice about seeing a doctor... are you saying that women who have crippling pain that makes them barely able to function *shouldn't* see a doctor about it? As for treatments, I said there are in some cases not in all cases. Also, just because doctors can't find what's wrong, doesn't mean there isn't something wrong, it just means doctors don't know what it is....

I don't see what's wrong with any of what i said, so please don't read stuff into my posts that isn't there.

I'm not bashing anyone or calling anyone names or telling anyone that they're making excuses. I'm just giving advice. Most women can exercise during their period, and crippling pain is something to see a doctor about.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think my pain tolerance is higher during that time.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Some yoga, Pilates may help! This, followed by a warm bath, and chocolate!