LADIES: Do you workout on your period?

Options

Replies

• iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yep, no reason for me not too. If I'm crampy I just pop a couple advil and go for it. Exercise usually helps me feel better anyway.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    absolutely. It helps with the general sluggishness I feel if I don't.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It may take an extra cup of coffee, but I sure do. And I've yet to regret it.

Fun fact: caffeine has been found to actually worsen menstrual cycle symptoms. :brokenheart:
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do, it makes me feel so much better. But then I don't get crazy bad cramps anyway, a couple of paracetamol and I'm good to go, and the exercise definitely helps my cramps and general bad mood around that time.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Pre-novasure, the first couple of days were mega heavy and super crampy. So no workouts on those 2 days. Post-novasure, what period? I do whatever workout my little heart desires during that time.
    Ok, it's not completely gone, but I no longer become anemic and curl up in the fetal position from cramp pain.
  • Feervi
    Feervi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, easy to say "why not" if you don't feel like dying when TOM arrives. In my case I used to havesevere cramps and didn't want to move, breath or live, let alone work out. Now that I'm on the pill my periods are "normal" and thank you to the genious that invented tampons, I just workout like nothing is happening.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    One day a month, sometimes 2 I have to skip the workout because the flow is so unbelievable that I might not make 15 minutes without a change. unless I wear an adult diaper, not comfortable for class. Also it can be unpredictable, normal one minute and the next just way over the top.

FYI, it doesn't mean I wont' workout at home, but it can be a bit too gross for the gym at times. at home a lot of bathroom breaks are easier.

BTW - It actually makes me mad when I have to skip :( Hate it and I know it is a terrible thing, but I can't wait for Menopause.
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. The majority of people will tell you to go ahead and do it, you whiny sack of excuses.

Personally, I can't and won't. Still traumatized by the times I tried and my cramps became sharp and unbearable, and the flow increased a disturbing amount for a short time afterwards. Somehow I still get the courage to attempt it every now and then, and I regret it every time. Even back in high school when my gym teachers told me that it "would help cramps and send pain relieving endorphins through my body" I was nearly on my knees with the pain thanks to them.

tl;dr exercising on my period most definitely does not alleviate my cramps or make me feel better; in fact, it's the complete opposite. but this doesn't seem to be a majority case so listen to your own body.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been lucky in the sense that I don't get PMS. Very rarely I'll get a "cramp" but nothing even remotely close to prohibiting me from working out.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me because I get really weak, so I just take extra pre-workout and push myself
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The thing is - I would love to work out with just typical cramps. But not to make excuse but I have craaaazy bad pelvic and back pain that makes even sitting down hard. Looks like it might be a good idea to push past that though? :-)

It might also be a good idea to go and see a doctor to manage your pain. I used to get terrible menstrual pain (still worked out though as it helped reduce the pain) - but luckily over time your system seems to change - (post baby, pre-menopause) so you won't be stuck with it for your whole life.

Buck up and see someone about it - your life will be missed out if you can't work out 4-5 days a month. That sucks.
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yes, it makes no difference
  • kitkatbar972
    Options
    I usually get really bad cramps one day so I might skip just that day. But I want to eat ALL THE CHOCOLATE during my period so I gotta workout to balance that out haha.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I used to get heavy periods and bad cramping, but once I went on the pill, I don't experience any of those symptoms anymore. Periods also got very light, it is actually a hassle to buy tampons because I can never find a box of just light ones.

I still continued to go about my day.

And a question for the poster on not going in the water while on her period

Why not?? I love the water and swimming. You should not have to give up your aqua zumba classes. Also hot tub anyone?? Tampons are your friend (unless you have a medical reason not to use them)
    *I am honestly just curious, if you cant or don't want to, its fine.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Of course I do. Life doesn't stop during that time. ;)
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Aside from the first day, absolutely. My cramps on the first day are always so unbearable and for whatever reason the exercise doesn't help, I wish it did!
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    yes
  • I do. It helps me with the mood swings and abdominal pains. Granted, I cut my workout time in half, but it still gets done.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    well, I had the ablation surgery to eliminate that but yes I did when I had one.....why not? I mean, I never became paralyzed from it