LADIES: Do you workout on your period?

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, but Hip Thrusts and Squats with a tampon in feel kind of odd.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Dear gods yes. Exercise induces lots and lots of feel good chemicals in your brain, which actually helps with the cramps and other loveliness us women have to put up with. So hell yeah I exercise on my period.
  • OhHaiStranger
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps cramps and all the other symptoms. Somewhere I read that women burn more calories when working out at TOM.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/319206-burning-more-calories-when-you-re-on-your-period
    True that!
  • astrogrrl
    astrogrrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep! and if I'm doing yoga I'll just hug my knees into my chest instead of doing any full inversions on super heavy days.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

And a question for the poster on not going in the water while on her period

Why not?? I love the water and swimming. You should not have to give up your aqua zumba classes. Also hot tub anyone?? Tampons are your friend (unless you have a medical reason not to use them)
    *I am honestly just curious, if you cant or don't want to, its fine.

probably tmi but way too heavy and messy even with a tampon. Sorry :( At least when fully clothed I can wear a pad as well.
    :noway: :blushing:
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had endometriosis and a prolapsed uterus and had to have 6 gyn surgeries by age 20, but I never skipped exercising, no matter how bad the endometriosis pain was. So, yes, exercise every day. It will help the pain, particularly if you get back pain with it. Even if all you can do is stretching or exercises in a chair or in bed, there are videos for those, so try something light like that if you need to. But, exercise. Or else it will make exercising even more difficult the other 3 weeks of the month. Also, you might consider getting a massage during your period, as they can do an abdominal massage and a low back massage that helps.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yes, no way am I not working out for 7-10 days a month. Yes I am one of the "lucky"ones.
  • TessMacc
    TessMacc Posts: 31
    Options
    Yes, but not on the worst day. On most days I work out as normal, maybe taking it a bit easier.

Of course it depends on you and how heavy/difficult yours are, but I'm disappointed to see some people acting like it couldn't have an affect on working out and saying it's a bad excuse to be lazy - sometimes I've tried on the worst day and felt like I was going to faint. Everyone, please be aware that periods vary a lot from woman to woman, from month to month, and even at different times in your life. We take enough talk from men about being lazy or whiny and using it as an excuse for things without having it from other women too.

Having said that, light exercise can alleviate some of the pain.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yes, but Hip Thrusts and Squats with a tampon in feel kind of odd.

Hahaha you are funny!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    :( Hate it and I know it is a terrible thing, but I can't wait for Menopause.

I've always said (ever since I was 11 and had that monthly 'visit') we should all get hysterectomies at 12, but then I guess the human race would die out in one generation.... Oh well, I never wanted kids anyhow so it would have been worth it! Still get my regular TOM, and for who knows how long... *sigh* 39 years & counting...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do, but sometimes if I'm having a really bad day (I usually have one per month), I just walk or do yoga. I find doing a little exercise actually helps a little but sometimes I can't work up the energy for a long sustained workout. I do CrossFit and if we have a long metabolic conditioning workout (a lot of calisthenics/cardio), I struggle. However, I have hit some of my personal records weightlifting while on my period. Just listen to your body and I think it's fine to have an active recovery day.

Sometimes I don't swim when I'm on my period and sometimes I do. Depends on where I'm at in the cycle and how I feel.
  • EmilyAH91
    EmilyAH91 Posts: 17
    Options
    I use to not. I get really AWFUL periods (cramping, really heavy, almost can't eat, etc). But then one day I forced myself to, and do you know what? My period was lighter, a lot less cramping, I was hungry, etc after the workout. I thought, "Maybe it's just a coincidence." But nope, I did tests. Whenever I worked out, I was in a better mood, everything was better, and I was still losing weight like I wanted.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Even if I don't feel like it - I've found that it helps with the discomfort, and I take less Advil than I used to.
  • nineteenstars
    nineteenstars Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • AliceEstee
    AliceEstee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Always
  • whatsername182
    whatsername182 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sure do! Swimming 6 days a week no matter the time of the month!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I keep the same exact workout schedule. If anything, it has helped with symptoms. PMS, cramping, etc.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    The good thing is that once you reduce your bodyfat percentage enough and gain a good portion of muscle mass, your period will stop.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The good thing is that once you reduce your bodyfat percentage enough and gain a good portion of muscle mass, your period will stop.

Ummmmmm......what?
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Especially since I prone to damn near insatiable cravings for things I don't need, I work out so I feel a little less guilty about those potato chips and a second helping at dinner.

Plus I notice if I stick to it, it helps with the symptoms and I lose weight quicker the following week. But that is going to vary person to person.