Dealing with Haters

Options
167891012»

Replies

• EarthboundAtlas
    Options
    Honestly, I've spent much of my life around poisoned people like this. They were in my schools, my home...growing up like that sucked, and I've tried a lot of ways to deal with them. It hurts to hear stuff like that...it's not easy to just ignore it, and if you really stop to consider what it is inside of them that makes them that way, it's a great case for not lowering yourself to their level to respond in kind.

In the end, that was what finally worked for me. Ultimately, I wouldn't respond with more than a head shake because I came to pity those people. I took the realization that they felt they had to do that kind of thing to find some illusory sense of self-worth, and used it to remind myself never to be that way. I used it to remind me to work all the harder. It has made me quicker to be kind to others. It has sharpened my will to keep me going when my energy, and strength are low. It drives me when I find myself in those dark places of self-loathing, and pity.

When people treat you that way, consider how small they must be inside, and pity them. Then mentally mark it down as a reminder to not be like them...to not be small in any area of your life. Whatever you are, in whatever circumstance you find yourself...be the best you can be. Live life for you. Celebrate your victories and pity any person that would try to take them away from you. Keep your head up and look forward.
  • MsDillieBar
    MsDillieBar Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Ugh! My heart is just wrenching for you! When I was in middle school, there was one girl in particular that picked on me. What made things worse was that I was an introvert and a loner. Ignoring it is sound advice but near impossible to do! Especially if no one has your back. I think having supportive friends and family to help lift you back up from that crap is so important! There are things we just can't endure alone day in/ day out.

There is some great advice here!

If you don't have strong support at home or school (or even if you do) keep coming back here! We have your back!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am sad to hear that you have to put up with this (only yesterday one of my best friends was walking to the gym in leggings and a t-shirt and some girls called her fat), I don't understand why people think this behaviour is acceptable. I personally wouldn't go to their level (despite the temptation), rise above it an report this to authorities if you can, you could also send them this link:

http://jezebel.com/dont-get-too-cocky-thin-people-skinny-fat-is-comin-1540751261

No one should have to put up with this. Talk to your friends and family have a good vent after the class hopefully their support will help you too.

Good luck and keep going!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For a start, this has nothing to do with you. If they hadn't decided to use you and your determined efforts to make yourself healthy, they would have chosen someone else to bully. With this in mind, if you don't stop them from bullying you, they will probably just keep doing it to others as well as yourself.

So, report them. This is your opportunity to do something positive for yourself and for your fellow human beings.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    People who are not strong bully others. I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this, but they are everywhere. You will eventually lose the weight you want to lose, but they will always be ugly on the inside. If I was there, I'd just beat their *kitten*. They are pathetic and you should not have to up up with people like that. Stand your ground and know for sure that they are the pitiful, weak ones. You keep on trying. You will succeed :)

werk!!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I'm sorry people treated you that way. You got some good advice in this thread.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Embrace the hate. Use it as fuel.

Sound advice, honestly. My best workouts are angry ones.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My guess:

They feel inferior on some level (possibly grades) and are grasping at straws trying to tear you down to their level. It's a horrific thing to do, and I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I hope you take some solace in knowing that they are doing this because they feel you have an advantage over them.

And really - YOU DO. You sound like an intelligent and self-aware young woman. That is something precious, and sadly rare. It's also a quality that these dumb tw@ts will never have.
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate to play this card....but.....I agree with everyone else here for the most part. 1) ignore 2) report BUT, when you report, whether it is via email or in person, make sure you say, "I expect results or you will be hearing from my lawyer"

I've been to community college, trust me, they will take care of it.