Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I think the article was intended to be a humor article, but it failed miserably. There are aspects that are annoying such as:

1) Look how jacked/ripped/shredded I am. (Those people who only take shirtless pictures and those are their only pictures)
    2) Do you even lift?
    3) Constant photoshoot pictures on personal profile and not "fan page"
    4) Some gym memes
    5) Everyone has their own clothing line

Numbers 1 and 2 on my list above are the more negative aspects. Most people in this subculture are very helpful and aim to motivate others, not degrade them. The author of the article should have focused on the types of people who post some of these negative aspects then the positives.

Also, I don't get the neon thing. I guess it's a trend in women's activewear. Men's clothes are usually black, grey, white, or navy with the occasional primary color.

hahahaha, my current FB profile pictures for both my fitness page and my personal pages are photoshoot pictures, as is the one here (I think - I change it frequently, because I can't make up my mind, lol).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP:

vqr87gi.gif

I imagine she knew exactly how it would go.

I hope so anyway because the other option is that she thought coming to a fitness forum and telling everyone that fit people are annoying and gross was going to go well.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OP:

vqr87gi.gif

:laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's Dana Linn Bailey, IFBB Pro.

pretty sure you were wrong.

not sure how you could confuse the two at all.

she looks nothing like DLB.

And how is DLB gross- first off it's her business to look like that- secondly SHE LOOKS AMAZABALLS.

I want us to have babies- without every having babies. because babies are gross- but ours would be amazing.
  • KiloIndiaMike
    Options
    I would give anything to have to look like and sport the "worst thing to happen to neon...."... #9

I'll get there. I'm dieting, just not exercising. Does it really get easier?! Please say yes. I hate exercising!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I would give anything to have to look like and sport the "worst thing to happen to neon...."... #9

I'll get there. I'm dieting, just not exercising. Does it really get easier?! Please say yes. I hate exercising!!!

maybe find an exercise you don't see as "work" and that you don't hate?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the word fit fam. But, this is a social media site for the purpose of fitness, so doubt many are going to agree with op. I like fitness, and I like reading, learning about it and seeing the photos. Deal with it, fit people exist in this world, too. And what is wrong with people influencing each other to be fit, healthy, and strong. Also, not all fit people are weird about food. They may seem to be when they are cutting for a competition or something. If you don't like it, then don't like fitness fb pages or whatever. I disagree with you op. Also, not cool calling women gross!!! Seriously, how hard is it to use your brain enough to realize that?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    why the hate on the neon?

I love my bright pants- your options up to recently have been nasty *kitten* pink- or all black.

and as much as I love my black clothing- it's nice to be able to- you know- tell my clothing apart in the drawer!!!)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    okay- I just was able to actually read it.

All I could think of is "wow hate much??" what an average person- I would hate to go through my life being so boring and average.

so here are my thoughts.
    1. They make completely average people think they are famous
    saying the person who has a blog? really? coughhipocritecough besides- what's wrong with thinking you are hot stuff? if that's what you want- go for it.

2.) They make you feel bad for eating normal food
    no one can make you feel bad or guilty- only you do that to yourself

3.) They think this is sexy:
    body shaming and jealousy- really attractive as well

4.) They only know how to express themselves in meme form
    so do the cat people- and all the nerds- I fail to see how it's a problem

5.) They complain about their self-imposed lifestyle (e.g. “meal-prepping”)
    people complain about their lives- it's normal. you are complaining about other people which seems to be your thing- I don't complain about meal prepping- not that many people do- but it's part of it- doing this stuff takes work- sometimes it's worth it sometimes it's frustrating so what- big deal- again- complaining- normal every day life activity

6.) They upload photos and videos of workouts that anyone can do
    really because you seem to fall in and out of it- and the reality is they are RIGHT- everyone CAN do it- working out and getting like this doesn't mean it's impossible- that's half the point- ANYONE can do it- the point is that it's DEDICATION that makes a difference- and if you weren't so busy sitting on your *kitten* reading instagram about foods- you could be there too if you wanted

7.) They suddenly believe they are certified nutritionists
    some truth- but the reality is when you get into it- you start reading to maximize your results- you get real educated real quick- since when did self study become a bad thing??

8.) They “follow” and “like” people and posts as if they belong to some sort of cult… which they do
    um- I see no problem- except it's not a cult- it's just like minded people- but again- i see no problem

9.) Neon
    not only are you rude- your a fashion fail- okay cool- good to know. I wasn't aware the color police was out on duty

10.) Their food makes us sad
    makes you sad- that looks fu*king delicious to me

11.) They date each other, procreate and form tribes of weight lifting spawn
    and in shape amazing kids are bad how???

what a completely vapid and brainless twit. I can't even.
    "I've fallen back into being healthy???"

please. you do it or you don't- you don't fall into it- which is why you feel like an outsider and instead of committing to doing something- you just make fun of it. how incredibly adult of you.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The "article" in question was neither funny nor enlightening.

The best thing I read on that page was this guy's quote -

"Instead of criticizing those putting forth an effort to make a positive difference in [their] lives..., how about you give them credit for not sitting on their *kitten* all day, taking countless numbers of selfies and trying to figure out why the world doesn’t literally revolve around them."
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Any group of people sharing a significant common interest will develop social aspects and relate to each other. This is basic human nature, and it doesn't only apply to fitness. I don't see any valid point to this article.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What a pointless article. People are a cult people they like other people's posts they agree with? And healthy food is tasteless? SMH:indifferent:
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I wanted to stop reading at #3 because body-shaming is so very, very uncool. Alas, I couldn't look away from the train wreck of latent bitterness and self-importance that was the entire article.

If being an internet blogger/freelance writer isn't about achieving internet fame, then what else is it about? Why would you not want to see photos and videos showing exercises that anyone can do? What's so inherently offensive about people trying to share their achievements and inspirations with others? Okay, you got me on the neon. It's not my thing, but- oh, holy crap, my earplugs cord is bright pink. Shoot me now!

When I copied and pasted the link, I was hoping for at least a somewhat humorous run down on how fitness fanatics can drive other people crazy via social media browbeating, but it just came across like high-school aged mean girls griping about how everyone else is "OMG so lame!"
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    She wouldn't like my closet of workout clothes. It is almost all neon..even down to the socks and shoes.

This article is silly and she was looking for the attention. I think she was trying to be funny...keyword trying.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is the worst article I have ever read, the author sounds insanely jelly

My thoughts exactly! Why should I deal with constant pictures of everyone's wasted, duck-faced selfies and not be able to post a picture of me breaking my personal best in squats?

I have a friend who is like this girl. Any time anyone post about being fit she complains and gets all mad but then I see her talking about how she needs to exercise more. //gag//

Social Media is a site for you to be you...plain and simple. People who dont like it can gtfo! :drinker:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    tagged for later reading
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
  • meechi53
    Options
    So you're on a Social Media fitness site btchng about fitness culture?

Go back under the rock you came from, OP.

I'm not "btching" about the fitness culture..or if you are on Instagram or twitter sometimes it's a fake fitness culture the same person that complains about spending their entire Sunday at the gym and making the same grilled chicken and asparagus for the week and missing out on a family function or something fun because they are #dedicated and then they post a bikini pic and say "Oh I'm so fat I need to #juicecleanse" etc etc.

Everyone's an Armchair nutrtitionist..I've seen it here you've all seen it. You tell someone to open their diary and you are like OH MY GAWD YOU ATE A PROCESSED PIECE OF BREAD?!? how COULD you no WONDER you won't lose weight that piece of bread oh the horror!!

Reminding myself why used to like this site but not so much anymore--too many self righteous Ashholes
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What site are you on. People are not freaking out over processed bread. Most people follow enjoying everthing in moderation, if it fits your macros, and not being restrictive or disordered and not doing cleanses. Also, I don't use instagram or twitter. When I do use twitter it's mostly news and science, based on who I chose to follow.

You just insulted a web site full of great people that you don't even know.
  • meechi53
    Options
    You read that article and think it's absolutely true. So you agree with #3.

I think that tells us all we need to know about you. Yeah, you jelly.

Damn all I try to do was get a post going and see what people's thoughts were. I do agree with lots of it maybe because I'm not someone who wants to call attention to every thing I do either and look for praise and validation from others constantly. Quietly doing my thing. And no im not "JELLY" because I would NOT want to look like that for anything in the world, I'd rather have a Kardashian sister body.

If you followed the author on Instagram you'd know she was pretty normal and got hateful posts for posting a normal meal. It's kind of in fun but some of it makes sense. Don't ***** about your "fitness lifestyle" when you secretly want people to praise you for it. There are lots of people that post a pic of a fun meal out at a restaurant or something really good they made and you get "OMG don't eat that" "Oh that sugar will kill you" #nosugarnofat #nothealthy. And from what I see on this thread I guess you and most others here would be the ones to do the same to someone on Instagram or FB.

Maybe some people here are "Jelly" because you don't have a life outside of the gym or calorie counting and can't cut back and let loose and eat the damn slice of cake at your own birthday party