40lbs v Sugar!!

Options
Hi All

I have just OFFICIALLY started MFP today and I'm going to avoid all sugar even fruit. I'm sure I crave iy and want to give it a go!

Has anyone else done this and if so how did they find it and what results if any did they find?

Thanks for reading!!!!

Replies

• loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Why have you made this topic so many times? I now don't like you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    What is the point of doing this?

Yes I get the point of avoiding refined sugars and added sugars - but fruit???

In moderation I don't think anyone would say fruit is not nutritious.
    For anyone, even diabetics.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why? That sounds patently absurd.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Absurd and unnecessary.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lol @ giving up fruit.

Probably the stupidest thing I've read in the last 10 minutes!
  • lynnmarie96
    lynnmarie96 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP, personally I think low sugar would be better than no sugar. Fruit is a different type of sugar, fruit is natural sugar and is a lot better for you. My Mum is diabetic and her nutritionist says fruit is very safe. I know people who look great and are on low sugar diets, however they also end up binging on high sugar foods at least half a week. For me personally, I just try to choose healthier options and work out a lot. Good luck with your journey.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have just OFFICIALLY started MFP today and I'm going to avoid all sugar even fruit. I'm sure I crave iy and want to give it a go!

Has anyone else done this and if so how did they find it and what results if any did they find?

Thanks for reading!!!!

That will eliminate vegetables as well as milk and cheeses. What are you going to eat? What is the purpose for doing this? Sugar plays an important role in your body. This is not going to end well for you :(
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    With a plan like this, what could go wrong!?!

OP, I see much success in your future!
  • Size8Susie
    Options
    Hi there

Thanks very much I'll try low sugar, I didn't realise everyone read ALL forums hence why I
    Posted this on
    Others. I apologise if I offended anyone, I didn't realise people would be so rude and unhelpful !
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to MFP, personally I think low sugar would be better than no sugar. Fruit is a different type of sugar, fruit is natural sugar and is a lot better for you. My Mum is diabetic and her nutritionist says fruit is very safe. I know people who look great and are on low sugar diets, however they also end up binging on high sugar foods at least half a week. For me personally, I just try to choose healthier options and work out a lot. Good luck with your journey.
    False. The sugars are exactly the same, regardless of source.
  • sonofebbe
    Options
    Your brain runs on sugar alone.

Your approach to weight loss suggest that you already have cut out all sugar :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    With a plan like this, what could go wrong!?!

OP, I see much success in your future!
    tumblr_n2hr9qJuTS1sj3oxho1_500.gif

Do you have a medical issue that you need to avoid sugar? I can understand eating low sugar or not eating added sugar, but why not eat any sugar, even fruit and other foods?
  • Size8Susie
    Options

I didn't realise everyone read EXACTLY the same forums so do apologise however with regards to you not liking me quite frankly I think if you haven't got anything constructive to say you should grow up. I though people on here were meant to be mature and polite!!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    what abt sugar in VEGGIES??? peas and carrots come to mind.. sweet potato... tomato...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I didn't realise everyone read EXACTLY the same forums so do apologise however with regards to you not liking me quite frankly I think if you haven't got anything constructive to say you should grow up. I though people on here were meant to be mature and polite!!

Hi,

You may find this article of interest - It's not as crazy as people would like to believe.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/14/life-without-sugar-family-challenge-diet?CMP=fb_gu
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Your brain runs on sugar alone.

Your approach to weight loss suggest that you already have cut out all sugar :)

Do you even science Bro.

19anbjcx2u3gxgif.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    False. The sugars are exactly the same, regardless of source.

This guy knows sugar. I wouldn't argue with him!
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are at, and no snark intended at all...I would reconsider. What I have found after trying every possible fad is that you need to establish an eating plan you can live with forever. Diets simply don't work in the in the long term. Lifestyle changes do, but they have to be lifestyle changes you can live with and be happy and not crave. Cutting out refined sugar is a good goal, but what happens when there is a birthday party or when you bake something for your family? At least for me, I would get overwhelmed with cravings and cheat, then feel like I failed on my very restrictive diet, then go back to my old way of eating.

I am eating what I want now (which is actually pretty healthy), but at a moderate deficit and concentrating on getting my macros and eating a variety of foods. Weight loss is slow and steady. The best part is that since I am trying to fit nutrition into a healthy level of calories, I am eating better, and more nutritionally dense and my cravings for sweets and snacks has evolved. I am not "cured" of it. But I used to wake up dying for a piece of cake, and now I know that I feel better with a little protein and complex carbs. No more hunger headaches. I eat vegetables freely..fruits too (although since I am counting calories and portions I am careful with that). I weigh my solids to control portions. When I want to go out and have some wine or something more decadent than usual, I exercise first and earn those calories the hard way.

Whatever you decide, good luck and good health!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Still curious as to what you are planning to eat on this no sugar or now low sugar diet.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    SIze8Suzie, people get their panties in a bunch when someone posts a topic twice or posts a topic that has been posted before. They love calling people out on their shortsightedness. I just find it amazing that it takes even more effort for them to post a caustic comment as it would to post something helpful.

Once I did cut out all refined sugar from my diet. It was not easy and in fact the worst part was the horrible attitude I had. The other thing is this, if you are not going to sustain this (and it does take constant effort) you will be right back where you started in a relatively short amount of time. I believe in being sensible and using moderation and common sense.

I hope that the rest of the people who respond will have something helpful for you. They may have answered this question 5,000 times, but it's the first time you are asking it.

I wish you luck on your journey.