40lbs v Sugar!!

Options

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You'll find lots of snarky people here, ignore the snark, and take the good advice and you'll be successful.

I tried no sugar a few years back and I felt really tired and run down all the time. I did it for about a month and then started eating sugar again and gained all the weight back :(

Currently, I tend not to eat ice cream/candy etc... but I will have it as a treat once in a while IF it fits into my calorie count for the day. I definitely still eat fruit and vegetables that have sugar in them all day, every day. Sometimes I put honey in my tea, too. I'd say those are my main sources of sugar, and they don't make me feel over loaded with sugar, and give me enough energy to last thru the day on my calorie deficit.

You can view my food diary and check it out for ideas. I have been losing about 1 lb per week since January 1st.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You have to think of a message board for what it is-- a group of people from all different backgrounds with all different viewpoints and all different personalities. It's essentially like walking into a crowd and just shouting out your question or statement. You're going to get all kinds of responses.

Take the helpful ones, leave the rest.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Im shocked by the negative comments that poster had to endure. Actually what she asked was a sensible question. Its known that reasonable quantities of sweet fruits cause an immediate insulin rush, and that the excess sugar in the fruit will be stored almost straight away as triglycerides in our fat stores, instead of being burned for energy. It is a good idea to keep to a max of say one fruit a day.
    Sorry you were the object of these peoples wrath ,poster! I dont know what their problem is. Hope you wont be disheartened by it!

Most people can manage more than one piece of fruit per day and still eat a nutritious healthy diet - the official Australian guidelines actually encourage people to try for 2 fruits per day (and 5 vegetables)

Also there was really very little snark toward OP in this thread - just people civilly questioning and disagreeing.
    Not sure what the problem with that is.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Maybe you meant refined sugar, because not eating sugar in ANY form sounds unreasonable. The most successful methods involve permanent lifestyle changes. I'm not sure how sustainable a zero sugar lifestyle would be. Are you willing to do this for the rest of your life? Otherwise, when you stop, chances are excellent that everything will go back to the way it was before you started. Good luck, though. I am a fan of reducing refined sugar, but I just couldn't maintain zero long-term. :flowerforyou:
  • p_s1984
    p_s1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is a thing called constructive criticism.
  • LiftCore
    LiftCore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sugar avoidance is completely illogical and stupid if you don't have a condition that needs you to do that. Fruit avoidance is unjustifiable in every possible way. You're probably going to keep it up for 1 week tops, and then you're going to fail and binge out and become depressed/demotivated, and probably end up being less healthy during and after this little phase. The whole point of MFP is so that you can track your food intake and manage your calories (which is the only thing that matters in terms of body composition), while practicing moderation while still eating foods you enjoy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have just OFFICIALLY started MFP today and I'm going to avoid all sugar even fruit. I'm sure I crave iy and want to give it a go!

Has anyone else done this and if so how did they find it and what results if any did they find?

Thanks for reading!!!!
    Lol, what the hell are you going to eat then since practically every vegetable has some trace amount of sugar in it?
    Just meat and fat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Your newsfeed, filled with your friends, is the safe place to vent, ask questions, and just be yourself. When you venture into the forums, you have to expect differing opinions, scientific facts, & ALL kinds of people.

OP, this is actually very good advice. If I have a question I ask it on my FL or I research it through Google and the search function in MFP.
  • Size8Susie
    Options
    So much for 'my fitness 'PAL'!!

You don't need to quit the website. Just stay off the Community section if you can't handle objections to your diet plans.

'I now hate you' ( quote)

That is NOT an objection there's only a couple nice people on there and it was my first time on the forums so I didn't know what to expect! DEFINITELY NOT this!!

I lost all my confidence well most of it when I put weight on so things like this are just another knock, before I put the weight on I wouldn't of cared less!!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

You don't need to quit the website. Just stay off the Community section if you can't handle objections to your diet plans.

That is NOT an objection there's only a couple nice people on there and it was my first time on the forums so I didn't know what to expect! DEFINITELY NOT this!!

I lost all my confidence well most of it when I put weight on so things like this are just another knock, before I put the weight on I wouldn't of cared less!!

Sadly there is a differing level of intellect from some of the people who post on these general forums.

I know it was your first day on the post and maybe didn't read duplicate posting on the general rules (I to was guilty of this on my first couple of post).

However there are members on this forum that probably have never read the rules. For example the first rule is:

We want the MyFitnessPal Community to be a fun, supportive, and friendly place for our members and we ask that all members follow our site guidelines: We want the MyFitnessPal Community to be a fun, supportive, and friendly place for our members and we ask that all members follow our site guidelines:

and

When someone posts something you don’t like, please either contribute constructively or move on without posting. You always have the option to ignore posts from specific members. Posts of members you have ignored will be hidden from the topic. Out of sight, out of mind.

Are they going to change - I don't think so.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Actually, the person said "now I don't like you," not that they hate you, and several people said it was uncalled for. And the person only said that because you had posted the question in pretty much every forum, which is against the Community Guidelines.

To be honest, you really did not get rude comments. You admit that your confidence is down, and I think you interpreted people disagreeing with you as being delivered in a much harsher tone than it actually was said. Disagreeing with you does not make people rude or mean, and you probably came in here with a pretty biased stance on sugar based on that book you read, making you overly defensive to questions and criticism about your decision. If you read through the forums, you'll see responses like these to every post. Not because people are being mean, but simply because people don't sugar coat things (pun not intended, but I'll take it).

You're very focused on what other people have said to you, but they only react to what you give them. You went from cutting out all sugar, to only cutting some sugar, to maybe doing this for a week. You have to admit the idea of eliminating all sugar from your diet is unrealistic, but that's the first thing you put out there, and that's what people responded to. You can't really get mad at people because you didn't convey yourself clearly in your posts. If you feel something was really uncalled for, report the post to the mods and put the user on ignore so you don't have to have any interaction with them.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt there is a topic made that has not been made several times before by this point.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Actually, the person said "now I don't like you," not that they hate you, and several people said it was uncalled for. And the person only said that because you had posted the question in pretty much every forum, which is against the Community Guidelines.

To be honest, you really did not get rude comments. You admit that your confidence is down, and I think you interpreted people disagreeing with you as being delivered in a much harsher tone than it actually was said. Disagreeing with you does not make people rude or mean, and you probably came in here with a pretty biased stance on sugar based on that book you read, making you overly defensive to questions and criticism about your decision. If you read through the forums, you'll see responses like these to every post. Not because people are being mean, but simply because people don't sugar coat things (pun not intended, but I'll take it).

You're very focused on what other people have said to you, but they only react to what you give them. You went from cutting out all sugar, to only cutting some sugar, to maybe doing this for a week. You have to admit the idea of eliminating all sugar from your diet is unrealistic, but that's the first thing you put out there, and that's what people responded to. You can't really get mad at people because you didn't convey yourself clearly in your posts. If you feel something was really uncalled for, report the post to the mods and put the user on ignore so you don't have to have any interaction with them.

How absurd and stupid to think that everybody find the same things as rude and insulting.

If the OP said she has found some of the responses (several on the first page) as insulting and insensitive, then isn't it just as rude and insulting to suggest that it's the OP's fault because she is too sensitive.

Wouldn't the more grown up thing to do be to reflect on what has been said and maybe re-phrase our critics in future posts.

But then that would mean we would have to give a damn about other people and not just put ourselves first.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

How absurd and stupid to think that everybody find the same things as rude and insulting.

If the OP said she has found some of the responses (several on the first page) as insulting and insensitive, then isn't it just as rude and insulting to suggest that it's the OP's fault because she is too sensitive.

Wouldn't the more grown up thing to do be to reflect on what has been said and maybe re-phrase our critics in future posts.

But then that would mean we would have to give a damn about other people and not just put ourselves first.

It also really helps when people are quoted correctly. OP has changed the original comment about "not liking her now" to something that is wrong, but followed that with the word (quote).

You can perceive comments any way you choose, based on your experience. If people break forum rules, the mods will deal with them. I think the main take away from posts like this is - we are a part of a large, very diverse group of people on MFP. In dealing with this type of forum, you should expect to have differing opinions - AND differing ways of expressing them. Your idea of a grown up is not someone else's idea of a grown up.

You might say that your continual scolding of people in threads is not productive either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt there is a topic made that has not been made several times before by this point.

Of course.

But that's not the same as one person posting their own same question in multiple forums.
  • Size8Susie
    Options

Of course.

But that's not the same as one person posting their own same question in multiple forums.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Of course.

that in itself is not that big of a deal for someone new to the forums...she has been told, explained why she did and now understands why she doesn't need to do it.