How do people stay motivated to go to the gym

Options
1234568»

Replies

• kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I work out at a TaeKwonDo studio. I basically found that i like the sense of camaraderie and I like that people will notice and call me on it if I don't show up - esp since my kids go there so I have to show my face for their classes if not mine. I also like feeling stronger and more capable so the sense of accomplishment helps. Finally, my husband goes too so I am motivated to go so that he won't wuss out with me :laugh:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    On days I work, I gotta get it done early. I run before I go to work, or I go to the gym if running outside is not an option. I could never work out in the evening. I've tried making myself do it and it never happens. Once in a while, I'll get a bug and go for an unplanned run before dinner, but that's only if the outside is beckoning with it's beautiful sunshine and breeze.

But yeah, get it done early. Get it out of the way. You'll feel good all day.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It gets you through your first week, maybe your first month. That's it.

If your goal is to be fit, going to the gym is your job. Treat it as such. Do you need to be motivated to go work? Of course not. You like getting paid so you go every day. If you like being in shape, going to the gym will be the same way.

I agree! And that's the advice I give people all the time. Motivation will get you through a workout. DEDICATION is what you need. You're going to have days, no matter what you do, or how much you enjoy it, where everything sucks, i'm tired, i'm sore, i'm sick, i'm bruised, had a long day, or whatever the case is...., those days are going to happen, Guaranteed!!!

I say it's all about determination. I come home after work, cook supper, help the kid with his homework, listen to the fiance talk about his day...but then as soon as supper is over my gym strip comes on, ask my fiance if he has a toonie so I can buy him a coffee on the way home, and I'm out the door. My gym shoes and earbuds stay in my vehicle unless they need to be washed. There's no excuses, there's no "i'm tired", I am determined to lose this spare tire! Yeah I'm dead @ss tired when I get home from work, but honestly, I HAVE to go to the gym.
  • florkie
    florkie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this myself...all the time! Sometimes I find myself so mentally drained from work I can't even think about trying to do something strenuous. BUT... sometimes I'll make a deal with myself and say I'll only go for 10 minutes, if I'm still not feeling it by then I give myself permission to leave. But usually I by then I'm into my workout and stay. If it's a bad day I'll try to do something light and do a harder workout another night.

I like the way I feel after a workout too and it makes me sleep better. Hope all these comments help you get to the gym. :-)
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a few motivators.

1) I found a fitness class that I like for cardio. I really hate using machines unless I have to do so. Exercise + socializing = time flies by
    2) When I exercise, everything else feels better physically (less aches/pains, less digestive issues)
    3) I use FourSquare. I *JUST* became the mayor of my gym. Ain't nobody gonna take that away! HAH!
    4) I pre-pack my clothes and load them into the car most days.
    5) I have my first major overseas trip in a little over three weeks, and I'm close to my fitness goal. Then I'll make a new goal after this vacation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I say it's all about determination. I come home after work, cook supper, help the kid with his homework, listen to the fiance talk about his day...but then as soon as supper is over my gym strip comes on, ask my fiance if he has a toonie so I can buy him a coffee on the way home, and I'm out the door. My gym shoes and earbuds stay in my vehicle unless they need to be washed. There's no excuses, there's no "i'm tired", I am determined to lose this spare tire! Yeah I'm dead @ss tired when I get home from work, but honestly, I HAVE to go to the gym.

I'm the same- I really dislike going RIGHT after work- it's so busy and crowded- I much prefer going later- but it takes some will power to do it- but once you start doing it- that's it- you just do it because it's what it is.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A few things keep me motivated.
    1) the fact that my gym membership is $40/month.
    2) Packing a bag in the morning and going straight after work
    3) Knowing that I can eat a little more if I work out hard. :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I really look forward to my time at the gym / running, I'm addicted to the routine and the results! I think when you get a better appreciation of how much better your quality of life is as a fit person, your attitude towards it will transform into a more positive one...
  • powellJulie1
    powellJulie1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated. It gets you through your first week, maybe your first month. That's it.

If your goal is to be fit, going to the gym is your job. Treat it as such. Do you need to be motivated to go work? Of course not. You like getting paid so you go every day. If you like being in shape, going to the gym will be the same way.

I agree! And that's the advice I give people all the time. Motivation will get you through a workout. DEDICATION is what you need. You're going to have days, no matter what you do, or how much you enjoy it, where everything sucks, i'm tired, i'm sore, i'm sick, i'm bruised, had a long day, or whatever the case is...., those days are going to happen, Guaranteed!!!

I agree with this and I also agree with having fun as much as possible, yet it is not always fun , so therefore sometimes it is a task. But like the quote said you do it for a reward. Nothing is easy in life. If you really want something, even something you like or enjoy , it could be hard at times to get there. I started a business before and went from scratch to also having to sell it. But I worked hard at it to achieve a goal in the end. Since I did this business experience, my workouts have been easier to do , because I see it the same way , same struggle to hustle!!! I see everything that way now.

That said, when you first start , it is hard to put yourself in that state of mind because it is new and you might be unfamiliar with some of the exercise. I suggest you find readings about workout and health and eat healthy and instruct yourself more, so you feel educated and comfortable about the subject. Then you try what you read about, might be hard at first, might be sore after, but all this sort of fades away slowly until you decide to workout harder... but then you will get addicted to that pain!!!

Be organised, plan ahead everything, from clothes, to food , to schedule to social life... that way you just follow what you have planned .

Then in the middle of doing great you will have harder days, down days, we all do, but we get back up the next day!

take care
  • powellJulie1
    powellJulie1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really look forward to my time at the gym / running, I'm addicted to the routine and the results! I think when you get a better appreciation of how much better your quality of life is as a fit person, your attitude towards it will transform into a more positive one...

deffenitly
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I go straight from the office -- no stopping at home! Pack your gym bag in the morning and you'll already be in the right frame of mind.

Exactly, and think of it as part of your job. You have to do it. No going home till it's done.
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I am the same, I LOVE the gym, yeah im still overweight and unfit but I know that the gym is part of the way to a healthier me, I love the feeling it gives you when you have worked hard
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOL.... I paid for an ENTIRE YEAR family membership once and I was the ONLY one who used it approx 2 out of the 12 months.... biggest financial waste I've made! I told myself 4 years ago that I would never pay for another membership unless I made the commitment to myself to go. My lifestyle/fitness anniversary is in a few days and I am beginning to look into a paid membership. I have used the good ol' outdoors and gym at my apartment to accomplish my goals to this point. My motivation is living a healithier life but eliminating excuses was & still is my biggest problem and easier said than done- unless I get my workout done before work. I also use the gym afterwork as an excuse to watch tv since I don't have cable ;)
    You have to find what works best for you and go with it!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I go early in the morning. 1. Cortisol levels are highest in the morning 2. I get it out of the way because I KNOW I won't feel like it after work. 3. It's not crowded early in the morning - which is good because I hate waiting. 4. Start going and you will keep going - make it a habit!
  • mjctexas
    mjctexas Posts: 1
    Options
    I have to agree with Cre8tvLifeR for all of her reasons plus:
    1. Once you see results, your motivation gets amped up
    2. You get that sense of accomplishment early in the morning, and your blood is flowing when you get to the office
    3. You need to go in the morning, but if you can only stay for 30 or so minutes - do your cardio in the morning and maybe your strength training at lunch or vice versa Break it up if you absolutely have to.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was never motivated until I discovered les mills classes at the Y. I get super bored just doing weights or elliptical but I Love the classes. Time flies so quick and I leave the classes drenched in sweat, then look forward to my next class. I go several times a week and like to do 2 classes in a row at least once a week. My favorite is bodystep because it really is a class for all fitness levels. They give you low impact and high impact variations for every move, and of course you can do no step, just the step, 2 risers or 4. If you go to the Y bodystep class routines change every 3 month and different teachers do different routines so it never gets boring. Hope this helps!