Is it ok to have no ink in today's society?

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I admire gorgeous sleeves and half-sleeves all the time, but it's not for me. Too much of a commitment and too expensive.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Ink free since '93! (really since '66, but it doesn't rhyme)

Ink no more
    since '54

kinda rhymes
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    People still use ink. I thought texting was all the rage these days.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    People who have no ink are *kitten*.

Inkless *kitten* since '54
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are the work of the devil. Only devil worshipers, low life degenerates, and McDonalds employees should have them.

Keep thy body pure.

Wow, thanks for telling me my religion and place of employment. I knew I was a whoring sailor but this, this I had no idea of.

HAH. I just can't.

learn something new every day!

although- my engineering pay check disagree's with the McDonald's thing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    no tattoos and never been judged for not having one. In fact I can't recall a single time in my entire life that anyone has cared about the fact I don't have one.

my main reason for not having one is that i haven't been able to decided on a design that i still like 6 months further down the line. To be honest I don't have strong feelings about them either way. A well thought out and well designed tattoo can look really good, but the human body looks good without them too. And ritual scarification and body art dates back to *at least* the upper palaeolithic era, probably much earlier than that, and there's something quintessentially human about it (along with hair style, beard styles and clothing that is decorative as well as functional (or even entirely decorative and not functional at all))
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    None here. Nothing against them and not afraid of needles, just can't imagine anything I'd want to have on my body for the rest of my life.
    That's why I don't have any. Too much commitment. Even if I like it today will I like it years from now? But it's your skin, do what you want.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    So glad I didn't get that tribal tattoo that seemed cool in 01, lol
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    None here. Nothing against them and not afraid of needles, just can't imagine anything I'd want to have on my body for the rest of my life.
    That's why I don't have any. Too much commitment. Even if I like it today will I like it years from now? But it's your skin, do what you want.

i was really picky about who did my tattoo and what i wanted, but Id rather have this tattoo for the rest of my life than the scar its masking :)
  • iwtfytj
    iwtfytj Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    To me I prefer no tattoo's because most professional jobs frown upon visible tats and I don't really care seeing tattoos 24/7.

Yes, this is true. I have three smallish tattoos and a half sleeve. I just have to keep them covered at work, which is easy to do since I didn't get any that are always visible (e.g. on the hands, neck, etc...I would never do those). I just wear 3/4 or long sleeves.

With that said, I am a law student, I currently work part time at a law firm, and I have an employment offer to work there as an associate attorney post-graduation. Having tattoos is NOT determinative of one's work ethic and professional ability. It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think differently. (In fact, many people, especially the older attorneys, are genuinely shocked when they see my large, colorful half sleeve, since I'm not a stereotypical dumb, criminally inclined, "scourge of the society" type person they seem to think are the only ones to get tattoos. It's kind of fun to see their reaction, lol)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    To me I prefer no tattoo's because most professional jobs frown upon visible tats and I don't really care seeing tattoos 24/7.

Yes, this is true. I have three smallish tattoos and a half sleeve. I just have to keep them covered at work, which is easy to do since I didn't get any that are always visible (e.g. on the hands, neck, etc...I would never do those). I just wear 3/4 or long sleeves.

With that said, I am a law student, I currently work part time at a law firm, and I have an employment offer to work there as an associate attorney post-graduation. Having tattoos is NOT determinative of one's work ethic and professional ability. It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think differently. (In fact, many people, especially the older attorneys, are genuinely shocked when they see my large, colorful half sleeve, since I'm not a stereotypical dumb, criminally inclined, "scourge of the society" type person they seem to think are the only ones to get tattoos. It's kind of fun to see their reaction, lol)

Sailor? *kitten*? :wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm scared to admit it because I'm afraid of being judged.

I smell a Troll. :devil: You're a 33 year old male afraid of being judged by the cool kids because you're not trendy enough? LOL, you faker.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Honey, it's all up to you. I was 21 when I received my first tattoo and I'm walking around with 20, today. I didn't get them because everyone else did; I got them because they all tell an important story of my life. It's your skin and your life and no one has the right to guilt trip you into anything, including getting a tattoo. Remember, you have to live with it or them for the rest of your life.
  • Lina_Loo_15
    Options
    I'm too chicken. Needles hurt. The end.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you ever walked into a club and then realized that you're the only straight person in the building?

That's what this thread feels like.
  • TattooedNici
    Options
    Tattoos are the work of the devil. Only devil worshipers, low life degenerates, and McDonalds employees should have them.

Keep thy body pure.

Wow, thanks for telling me my religion and place of employment. I knew I was a whoring sailor but this, this I had no idea of.
    [/quote]

You need to look up the symbol of the fish, the "X" in Christmas and the Christians back when they were persecuted for their religion. Do yourself a favor and pick up a book before throwing it at someone.
  • estepicursor
    estepicursor Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No tattoos for me...and I really don't understand the whole phenomenon.

Then again, a tattoo on me would be like painting flames and a skull and crossbones on a Schwinn....
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Thing is when most people have tattoos it makes you the one who stands out by not having any.

Tattoos used to symbolize rebellion of cultural norms. What happens when they become the norm?

That being said, I can't wait to get my first one.

Be careful, they're addictive.
  • TattooedNici
    Options
    .For all of those judging us for being inked by calling us a *kitten* or Sailor...

I am in fact, a Sailor and yes, I'm tattooed. There's nothing wrong with being a Sailor, period. Show some ****ing respect. As for *kitten*, I'm sure if they didn't exist, you wouldn't be here.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are sooooo trashy!

^^^ This. They are only for *kitten* and sailors.

I guess that makes me a sailor.

PVGaq2j.png