I'm Bulletproof

Options
So, I realize that most posts are going to be extremely negative, because, for some reason, they always are. Regardless, I want to share MY method of successful fat loss with you.

To start off, I had been vegan/ highly raw vegan for two years because my doctor told me I had high cholesterol (which, as it turns out, was a good thing - listen to or read: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/69-clearing-up-cholesterol-with-jimmy-moore/). I did a lot of research recently on the myths of cholesterol and realized that it's one of the most heart-protective substances in our bodies.

I was tired, weak, and I was gaining weight. Over the course of 2 years, I gained about 20lbs. I was working out for an hour a day, 5 days a week. I was doing cardio and strength training. Being insulin resistant and taking in tons of carbs (lots of fruit), I was sending my body into fat-storing mode every single day.

I did the Master Cleanse for 36 hours (it was awful so I quit). At the end of my "cleansing" period, I completely turned my "diet" upside down. I put diet in quotations because it's not really a diet, it's just a style of eating. I'm not fad-dieting, I'm eating this way for life. I just happen to be shedding inches left and right.

I cut out all grains and flipped the food pyramid upside down, basically.

The biggest eye popper: 50% of calories in my diet come from high quality fats (organic, unrefined coconut oil, organic raw coconut butter, organic grass-fed butter, organic avocados, and organic, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil). My goal is to eat fat to burn fat.

Every morning, I drink 2 cups of coffee blended with 2 tbsp of grass-fed butter and 2 tbsp MCT oil (Now Foods brand). That sounds repulsive to any coffee snob, being one myself, but I assure you, it's delicious. I used to always drink my coffee black and I will never go back. I don't eat breakfast in the morning because it takes my body out of the state of ketosis which is responsible for burning fat as energy. It's a form of intermittent fasting, only better, because I consume fat with no carbs during that time. My brain power is also boosted throughout the day because of the combination of fat+caffeine. I used to force feed myself a carbohydrate filled breakfast every morning because I was raised to think that it was vital for energy and brain power. Ever since I stopped, I am able to see that that "fact" was actually a presupposition. By skipping breakfast, I am not starving myself, I am providing my body with vital energy through the habitual drink I already consumed (and would never be able to forsake).

Around noon-2pm, I eat protein, fat, and minimal carbs. Usually, my meal consists of half of an avocado, 2 soft boiled, pastured+fertile eggs, and a serving or two of steamed veggies. A couple of hours later, I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts and some steamed green, coconut oil covered vegetables for snacking. At this point, I'm still ketogenic.

My dinner provides the needed carbohydrates, it consists of steamed (different combinations of) brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach. I eat at least 4 servings of vegetables during dinner time. My protein comes from (slow cooked) fat-filled grass-fed beef, wild low mercury fish, bison, or, if available, pastured chicken (with a lot of added fat). Usually, I add in the extra half of the avocado. Right before or right after dinner, I'll have my 1 serving of fruit, usually citrus.

Two days a week, usually back-to-back, I "carb load". I spend the entire afternoon and evening eating high carbohydrate foods instead of just dinner time. I use these two days to refill my glycogen stores. These days, I feel different. My energy is low quality and my mood is bland.

I have done this for 2 weeks and I have already lost a total of 4 inches and 4 lbs. I work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes of vigorous exercise, mainly weight training.

I have never felt better than I do right now. I literally feel bulletproof.

Look into it if you feel stuck. Don't look into it if you think it's bs. It's as simple as that.

:)

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    In to get bashed, too, I guess...LOL!

I do intermittent fasting, as well. I have an eating window of 10 hours, from 11 am to 9 pm, with (usually) only coffee with almond/coconut milk between 5 am and 11 am. It's been working for me for over a year, now. :)

And I eat 2600 cals/day to maintain, so I'm still eating all the food I want, without ANY limitations. Why bash what's working for someone? Do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

OP: Best of luck!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

I do intermittent fasting, as well. I have an eating window of 10 hours, from 11 am to 9 pm, with (usually) only coffee with almond/coconut milk between 5 am and 11 am. It's been working for me for over a year, now. :)

And I eat 2600 cals/day to maintain, so I'm still eating all the food I want, without ANY limitations. Why bash what's working for someone? Do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

Why are you on the defensive? There has not been one post in this thread that has been bashing the OP.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

+1

+2
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Why are you on the defensive? There has not been one post in this thread that has been bashing the OP.

agreed...no one has bashed anyone...well except for the person who posted the post in the original quote.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    whatever works. I prefer moderation on occasion, personally.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribing.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Probably about the last 50 - 70 lbs I lost were lost on low carb. So I guess that's around 2 years of low carb experience. I don't count the 50 before that since it was on Medifast and I have no idea if it's high or low carb, but either way it was miserable.

Recently I switched up from Dukan (which was the low carb I was using) and went to a high fat/mod. protein/low carb macro set and started counting calories and macros since I think it's important to develop the ownership of my diet instead of just doing what a plan says. Maybe it's because I was more restricted on Dukan, but I feel awash with options now that I can have anything that fits my macros.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Not everyone but I seriously wonder if it's not a self punishment for gaining weight as some sub-consious level...no joke...
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think intermittent fasting is a great way for a lot of people who find they can get better feeling of satiety that way. I would love to do that but I work out in the morning so have to eat breakfast, and to stop eating at 6pm, I just can't bring myself to do that.

As for the low carb, I don't eat many carbs, but very low carb is not for me. I also think when people go low carb they lose a lot of water weight from depleted glycogen stores. OP, have you noticed your weight going up after your carb loading days? is this increased weight still less then what you weighed before?

I think if this works for you and you think you can do this long term, go for it
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Why does this feel sales pitchy to me?

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Cliff notes?