I'm Bulletproof

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yeah, even if those ingredients tasted amazing, I'd get so godd@mn sick of driving to whole foods or whatever other specialty place, blending butter in my coffee, managing my macros to that degree... Sadly, I'll disappoint you all by doing CICO and, hopefully, still losing weight.

OP, I am glad that you feel terrific and have found what's right for you. I just think we can both accomplish the same amount of weight loss doing things differently. Still, finding out more about yourself is priceless.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I want to put a cookie in your mouth.

I like the way you think...

I am still waiting for my cookie. I hope it's peanut butter. ;)
    Yeah, even if those ingredients tasted amazing, I'd get so godd@mn sick of driving to whole foods or whatever other specialty place, blending butter in my coffee, managing my macros to that degree... Sadly, I'll disappoint you all by doing CICO and, hopefully, still losing weight.

I assure you, CICO does work. You'll be fine. Managing macros is something a lot of people on here do (even those who aren't low-carb). It's often helpful, if you have specific goals in mind. I actually mind the macros more than the calories. If I am hitting my macros (or even close), the calories will take care of themselves. Actually, counting the macros IS counting the calories--since that is where the calories come from.

Why do I lose weight eating like this? Because the 1,800ish calories that I average daily represent a deficit (my TDEE is around 2,500 calories). Wouldn't you know it, I lose about 1.5 lbs a week. That's what my calories suggest that I should lose. There's no magic in low-carb eating. It's all about the deficit over time. There are other benefits, to me, from eating this way that make it more attractive than just lowering the calories. But, when it comes to weight loss, it's only the calories that matter. You could eat nothing but candy and chocolates and lose weight, if you had a caloric deficit.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.

There are many lower carb versions of sweets one could make. You just use a sugar substitute like stevia or something similar. Almond flour or coconut flour can substitute for regular flour. A simple Google search will yield many such recipes. I make low carb desserts for myself instead of store bought version. Just made one this week with softened butter, coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa, sugar substitute, chopped nuts...mix..freeze..tastes delicious..just like chocolate. There are also "pasta" that looks and tastes similar to regular pasta. The bread too you can make with low carb ingredients. Is it exactly like the bread you grew up with no? But it's close enough for me. It's not a diet of greens and meat all day.
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Quite!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Glad that it is working for you OP. You dont understand the science, but as long as you find it sustainable and not detrimental to your health, I say screw it.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

/thread.jpg
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has actually been proven to produce great results. That being said, I would not be able to put myself on that kind of diet and last longer than one day. Kudos to you. Stick with it if you feel it is making a difference.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If I restrict WHAT I eat, I'm miserable and cat stick with it. If I restrict HOW MUCH I eat, I'm happier and healthier. Life is too short to not enjoy food you like, just make sure you don't eat too much of it.

That said, if you really like what you're eating, I guess congrats.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If I restrict WHAT I eat, I'm miserable and cat stick with it. If I restrict HOW MUCH I eat, I'm happier and healthier. Life is too short to not enjoy food you like, just make sure you don't eat too much of it.

That said, if you really like what you're eating, I guess congrats.

That's really succinct and well-said.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why does this feel sales pitchy to me?
    Exactly!

OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I respect that answer, but for me personally, I would find the restaurant choices limiting. As far as visiting friends, what if they made spaghetti, hamburgers, pizza, chicken strips (or something else that is breaded)? I'm still curious to know what you eat on your birthday.

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable foods (or can be made acceptable -- like getting a burger and just not eating the bun). Chicken, beef, fish, sausages, salads, vegetable sides, etc. It's mostly the bread, desserts, and starchy sides (rice, potatoes, etc.) that I avoid. The main dishes are usually fine.

For birthdays and special occasions, I can, and do, make ice cream out of heavy cream using sugar-free syrups. A half-cup of heavy cream (which is a large serving of ice cream) only has 3.5g of carbs. I like to add some stuff to it, like chopped up frozen strawberries, so it usually runs about 7-8g of net carbs when I make it. There are recipes for low-carb cheesecakes and cookies. I prefer the cheesecake on my birthday, usually skip the ice cream when I have cheesecake anyway. I aim to keep my carbs low, not at zero.

Hamburgers are easy, I just don't eat the bun. Pizza I will usually just eat the cheese and toppings and not touch the crust. It's not very filling, but it's not like I'll starve to death if I don't eat for a while. Chicken strips? I don't think I've ever been served chicken strips outside of a restaurant. If that was the only food, I would just scrape the breading off and eat the chicken. I would hope it wasn't the only food though. If it was at an informal event where people aren't seated around a table, like a party, I would probably just not eat. If anything, I would take a couple and walk around with them on a plate while hanging out. If there is legitimately nothing I would prefer to eat, I don't eat. I rarely am starving. Usually, there are options that work for me. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any time in six-months when there was truly nothing I could eat. I went to a lot of dinners/parties/events over the holiday season and didn't have any issues.

Pasta is an interesting one. I have never liked spaghetti, ever. Growing up, my mom taught us that spaghetti was poor-people food. Then we would have our "normal-people food" of rice and beans, sometimes with chicken, for dinner. Don't ask. I realize that I was raised with a skewed world view. Having rarely ever eaten pasta as a child, I never developed a taste for it. My friends and family all know I don't like it and would prefer not to eat it. So, even before this way of eating, I would pass on any pasta dishes. If there were meatballs or sausages, I could just take a few of those to eat with some cheese on top. I've only run into an issue of this once. I had an Italian coworker, years ago, who was very offended that I didn't like pasta. She repeatedly tried to get me to eat pasta and develop a taste for it. If I turned it down, she'd get angry. Eventually, she got used to it. I would eat a lot of other foods that she brought (olives, hummus, antipasti dishes), and she realized it wasn't an insult to her.

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to defend my choice of using a low carb diet, so let me just say this goes for me too.

To those who feel it's necessary to make snide remarks about someone else's choice instead of just supporting them, I still support your choice even though I've found it doesn't work for me.

Good luck to all in their quest for self improvement, regardless of the method they choose.

P.S. If I can find everything I need to maintain this diet by shopping in the commissary of a military base in Okinawa, Japan, I can't imagine it's that incredibly hard to find. Granted, I do buy my heavy whipping cream off base.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable

I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to defend my choice of using a low carb diet, so let me just say this goes for me too.

To those who feel it's necessary to make snide remarks about someone else's choice instead of just supporting them, I still support your choice even though I've found it doesn't work for me.

Good luck to all in their quest for self improvement, regardless of the method they choose.

The issue I have is when people try to coin a term and use it to sell something making outrageous claims.

"Bulletproofing" is just that.

I personally experienced yak butter tea, like the inventor of bulletproof coffee, in the Himalayas many years ago before he "invented" his coffee. Great stuff and also an acquired taste (I really can't say I like it a lot) and it's usually a good energy source locally especially when mixed with tsampa, a type of flour.

Taking this and marketing is brilliant. As is coining the term.

However, his claims that his coffee is mycotoxin "freer" than other providers seems a stretch. His claim that his "octane" MCT oils are 18x stronger than coconut oil is an empty claim. Stronger at what? Personal taste? Pull test? Empty adjective. Oh, and what's the main ingredient used? Umm, coconut oil.

His claim that bulletproofing leads to preferential fat utilization, better insulin profile are conjecture and unlikely in an isocaloric diet and full 24 day studies have shown no significant benefit from calorie timing. He even claims that it helps build muscle.

The whole "bulletproof" lifestyle (vibrating plate, anyone) that he sells made a few of my fellow trekkers roll their eyes, not out of jealousy at his success but at the marketing hype he peddles.

Sleep induction blanket? Omg.

Lifehack indeed, as he counts his money at the bank.
  • Skoster1
    Options

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable

The issue I have is when people try to coin a term and use it to sell something making outrageous claims.

I personally experienced yak butter tea, like the inventor of bulletproof coffee, in the Himalayas many years ago before he "invented" his coffee. Great stuff and also an acquired taste (I really can't say I like it a lot) and it's usually a good energy source locally especially when mixed with tsampa, a type of flour.

However, his claims that his coffee is mycotoxin "freer" than other providers seems a stretch. His claim that his "octane" MCT oils are 18x stronger than coconut oil is an empty claim. Stronger at what? Personal taste? Pull test? Empty adjective. Oh, and what's the main ingredient used? Umm, coconut oil.

His claim that bulletproofing leads to preferential fat utilization, better insulin profile are conjecture and unlikely in an isocaloric diet and full 24 day studies have shown no significant benefit from calorie timing. He even claims that it helps build muscle.

The whole "bulletproof" lifestyle (vibrating plate, anyone) that he sells made a few of my fellow trekkers roll their eyes, not out of jealousy at his success but at the marketing hype he peddles.

Yet this thread isn't about his whole thing (whatever it is, I'm not involved), it's about a person's diet preference. The claim the person made is that it works for her, and so far I haven't seen anything for sale. Seems like it would be easy enough to just say "Good luck!" instead of "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that."

It seems like some people take the idea of another person's diet as some sort of personal affront. It's not, and if it makes someone happy enough to post a little thread saying how happy they are that it is working for them then what kind of person tears them down? It reminds me of people who, when looking at a photo of a person who just lost a lot of weight and is feeling good about themselves says "yeah, but you're still fat in the [insert trouble area]."

I guess some people's mothers never told them "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Yet this thread isn't about his whole thing (whatever it is, I'm not involved), it's about a person's diet preference. The claim the person made is that it works for her, and so far I haven't seen anything for sale. Seems like it would be easy enough to just say "Good luck!" instead of "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that."

It seems like some people take the idea of another person's diet as some sort of personal affront. It's not, and if it makes someone happy enough to post a little thread saying how happy they are that it is working for them then what kind of person tears them down? It reminds me of people who, when looking at a photo of a person who just lost a lot of weight and is feeling good about themselves says "yeah, but you're still fat in the [insert trouble area]."

I guess some people's mothers never told them "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

So, you are saying not nice things about people not saying nice things? Guess mom's teachings didn't stick.

The OPs post is bulletproof evangelism. "Ohmygod, worlds best thing, this new thing I've tried for two weeks. All the energies in two weeks". It's absolutely reasonable to say "good for you, wouldn't work for me" when in fact it wouldn't work for me. Personally, the term is a dog-whistle to eye rolling in trekking circles - I understand you might not see that. People here are not attacking her.

Now, if you are projecting "you're still fat" stories, that's rather an exaggeration. No one in this thread has been like that, that's in your read of things.

I'm sorry that you expect people to just happily cheer along ideas that they find contrary to their experience. I'd rather see open expression and exchange of ideas. Almost everyone has offered congrats to the OP. Thread is pretty damn snark free. If you promote an idea it seems reasonable that the idea will be looked at with some critical inspection. Especially in GD&WL section of the site. It's not called "cheer me on blindly".

Personally, I find this to be long term untenable, which is what I wrote. That the OP finds it useful is great - sincerely, good for her.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. I am happy for you that you found a plan that works and makes you feel so good, but it's not for everyone. Some folks can do low or no carbs, others need carbs. My sister in law basically lives on carbs and sugar and is as thin as can be. She actually can't eat fruit and a lot of other healthier items because of her chrones disease.

Anyway... I tried the no carb route and not only did it make me feel like crap but it made me crave sweets. I know if you go long enough those cravings will subside but I listen to my body and figured if it's asking for carbs, I'm going to give it carbs. I will say that I do very a very low carb diet most of which come from vegetables and some fruit.

The high fat thing... I am on the fence with that. I do eat limited healthy fats e.g., olive oil and nuts but I avoid other fats and I feel just fine. My body fat is 16.5 % so I don't really have any fat to burn but since I do high protein and limited carbs that gives me enough fuel to burn throughout my day and my workouts.

I eat a healthy breakfast every single day. It gets my system going, bumps my metabolism and because it's high protein keeps me full well through lunch time.

It's all trial and error and tweaking the plan. This is working for you right now and that's awesome! Keep in mind after a while you'll have to change it up a little to keep it working.
  • Skoster1
    Options

So, you are saying not nice things about people not saying nice things? Guess mom's teachings didn't stick.

The OPs post is bulletproof evangelism. "Ohmygod, worlds best thing, this new thing I've tried for two weeks. All the energies in two weeks". It's absolutely reasonable to say "good for you, wouldn't work for me" when in fact it wouldn't work for me. Personally, the term is a dog-whistle to eye rolling in trekking circles - I understand you might not see that. People here are not attacking her.

Now, if you are projecting "you're still fat" stories, that's rather an exaggeration. No one in this thread has been like that, that's in your read of things.

I'm sorry that you expect people to just happily cheer along ideas that they find contrary to their experience. I'd rather see open expression and exchange of ideas. Almost everyone has offered congrats to the OP. Thread is pretty damn snark free. If you promote an idea it seems reasonable that the idea will be looked at with some critical inspection. Especially in GD&WL section of the site. It's not called "cheer me on blindly".

Personally, I find this to be long term untenable, which is what I wrote. That the OP finds it useful is great - sincerely, good for her.

Noting that someone is not saying nice things is not the same as specifically saying mean things to a person. Any more than arresting a person is the same as abducting them.

I guess when I see things like "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that." or posts calling her method a penance, or posts by people saying they want to stuff a cookie in her mouth I don't see a thread lacking in snark.

EDIT: Either way, good luck to all, I'm not really interested in a lengthy debate on this.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I weep for all the cakes you will not eat :sad:

My personal belief is that a cake's entire reason for being is to be eaten, I think it is incredibly cruel to deny that reason to any cake, therefore I must eat all the cake!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Noting that someone is not saying nice things is not the same as specifically saying mean things to a person. Any more than arresting a person is the same as abducting them.

I guess when I see things like "OP, glad this worked for you but I'd personally be the stupidest person on the planet if I ate like that." or posts calling her method a penance, or posts by people saying they want to stuff a cookie in her mouth I don't see a thread lacking in snark.

Ah, so you see yourself as some sort of internet cop. It's ok to be mean to the mean people because I have "right" on my side. Pretentiousness.

You've been here for a few years and even with your low thread count you might understand that a bit of humor comes with the place. Glass half empty or full discussion. You're focusing on, IMHO, small elements of "not for me but good luck" attitude.

I do suggest you stay away from the coffee enema and water cleanse threads. Because they are full of "mean people".
    And France. If you try to put oil in your coffee here, your going to get slapped. Hard.

Joking aside. Consider the media and that your level of sensitivity and rules of reasonable speech are not necessarily universal. Also consider that the terminology used, a registered term specific to a coffee from the "bulletproof exec" and new-age yuppie life "hacking" (cough) terminology is the title and core message of this post and that you might not be getting it.
  • Chelsilu
    Chelsilu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Hey - I was just stating what worked for ME. Being vegan was difficult. This is not difficult. Difficulty is only a matter of personal experience. What do YOU recommend? :)