I'm Bulletproof

Options

Replies

• mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    "Bulletproofing" your coffee is an interesting concept and one that I have employed. Black coffee and unsalted butter(I haven't gone to the grass fed measure) mixed with a hand blender to cream the butter. It is a fascinating experiment of this science of your body being triggered to use stored fats instead of using the simple sugars that you eat straight away in the morning. Eventually your body will need to start replacing these and storing for this again, but it is an interesting process. At the time that I started this, I also saw dramatic changes in the first 2 months. Yes, your body will respond and feel different burning energy in this way. Outside of this morning routine, I have always maintained my other eating habits and maintain my 2000 calories a day, but this morning routine has been great for me.

No sales pitch here, just living it. Good luck.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?

What do I eat when I go out to eat? All sorts of stuff. I just don't eat the bread, fries, or desserts. It's actually a lot easier than people think. A steak with a salad (hold the croutons) and broccoli. How about some chicken wings? A cobb salad is awesome.

When I go to someone's house for dinner? I don't know about you but everyone whose house I visit serves meat and vegetables. I just don't serve myself some potatoes, rice, or rolls. I also don't stress too much about if there might have been a dusting of flour, pinch of sugar, or whatever added to the dish. Some people might, but I usually have enough leeway in my macros for some sneaky carbs to not effect anything.

I, too, was a vegetarian for a while (about 3 years). It was much harder and more complicated when I went out to eat and eat when I was visiting people than avoiding carbs is.

I respect that answer, but for me personally, I would find the restaurant choices limiting. As far as visiting friends, what if they made spaghetti, hamburgers, pizza, chicken strips (or something else that is breaded)? I'm still curious to know what you eat on your birthday.

A lettuce wedge.
    With a candle.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    A quick follow up - Yes, more alert daily and yes, I have maintained this and have never been fitter.

FYI - I do eat just a bit differently as I prepare for long run training days as I do add a bagel or banana before the coffee/butter in the morning to top off the carbohydrates for the 90 min plus runs.

Again. Good luck.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Spoiling nice coffee, putting oil in it. Give me coffee now, and keep nassty oil!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Anyone else start singing Titanium?

Or just me...
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    For people questioning the buttered coffee thing, I have been hearing it's the latest big hipster coffee thing. Or is that the latest yuppie coffee thing? I don't know, I'm so up-hip I make my coffee at home, in a coffee pot.

*snort laugh*
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.

I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?

I have never had a problem going out to eat. Fish, hamburger sans bun, steak, fajitas, etc. If I'm at someone's house and they cook a main course of carbs, I eat it because its better to break diet than be an a&&hole. It really has been a non issue for me. Not saying its for everyone, but a lot of people would probably feel better eating this way and it is definitely a way to control weight without having to count calories.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I respect that answer, but for me personally, I would find the restaurant choices limiting. As far as visiting friends, what if they made spaghetti, hamburgers, pizza, chicken strips (or something else that is breaded)? I'm still curious to know what you eat on your birthday.

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable foods (or can be made acceptable -- like getting a burger and just not eating the bun). Chicken, beef, fish, sausages, salads, vegetable sides, etc. It's mostly the bread, desserts, and starchy sides (rice, potatoes, etc.) that I avoid. The main dishes are usually fine.

For birthdays and special occasions, I can, and do, make ice cream out of heavy cream using sugar-free syrups. A half-cup of heavy cream (which is a large serving of ice cream) only has 3.5g of carbs. I like to add some stuff to it, like chopped up frozen strawberries, so it usually runs about 7-8g of net carbs when I make it. There are recipes for low-carb cheesecakes and cookies. I prefer the cheesecake on my birthday, usually skip the ice cream when I have cheesecake anyway. I aim to keep my carbs low, not at zero.

Hamburgers are easy, I just don't eat the bun. Pizza I will usually just eat the cheese and toppings and not touch the crust. It's not very filling, but it's not like I'll starve to death if I don't eat for a while. Chicken strips? I don't think I've ever been served chicken strips outside of a restaurant. If that was the only food, I would just scrape the breading off and eat the chicken. I would hope it wasn't the only food though. If it was at an informal event where people aren't seated around a table, like a party, I would probably just not eat. If anything, I would take a couple and walk around with them on a plate while hanging out. If there is legitimately nothing I would prefer to eat, I don't eat. I rarely am starving. Usually, there are options that work for me. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any time in six-months when there was truly nothing I could eat. I went to a lot of dinners/parties/events over the holiday season and didn't have any issues.

Pasta is an interesting one. I have never liked spaghetti, ever. Growing up, my mom taught us that spaghetti was poor-people food. Then we would have our "normal-people food" of rice and beans, sometimes with chicken, for dinner. Don't ask. I realize that I was raised with a skewed world view. Having rarely ever eaten pasta as a child, I never developed a taste for it. My friends and family all know I don't like it and would prefer not to eat it. So, even before this way of eating, I would pass on any pasta dishes. If there were meatballs or sausages, I could just take a few of those to eat with some cheese on top. I've only run into an issue of this once. I had an Italian coworker, years ago, who was very offended that I didn't like pasta. She repeatedly tried to get me to eat pasta and develop a taste for it. If I turned it down, she'd get angry. Eventually, she got used to it. I would eat a lot of other foods that she brought (olives, hummus, antipasti dishes), and she realized it wasn't an insult to her.
  • Chelsilu
    Chelsilu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I said I was vegan for two years. Was. No longer vegan, obviously.
  • Chelsilu
    Chelsilu Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I wasn't trying to be sales pitchy. I just wanted to kindly share the things I learned when I changed my diet. Yes it's sustainable for me. Yes it's cheaper than the vegan diet I was following. No I don't fe restricted. After being vegan, on an extremely restricted diet, this diet I'm choosing for myself is quite liberating. It's completely fine if you believe in the way whatever you want/ calorie deficit theory. I personally do not believe that and that's totally okay. Do what works for you. If what you're doing right now isn't working for you, don't be hard on yourself, change it up! I changed it up in a way I never thought I would and I am so thankful.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I wasn't trying to be sales pitchy. I just wanted to kindly share the things I learned when I changed my diet. Yes it's sustainable for me. Yes it's cheaper than the vegan diet I was following. No I don't fe restricted. After being vegan, on an extremely restricted diet, this diet I'm choosing for myself is quite liberating. It's completely fine if you believe in the way whatever you want/ calorie deficit theory. I personally do not believe that and that's totally okay. Do what works for you. If what you're doing right now isn't working for you, don't be hard on yourself, change it up! I changed it up in a way I never thought I would and I am so thankful.

How do you not believe in the eat whatever you want/calorie deficit theory?

It is fact.

You yourself are eating at a deficit... therefore you are losing weight.

If you ate worse food, but at the same calories of your new diet, you would lose the same weight...

Connect the dots.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    How I am envisioning the question of what I eat when at someone's house and they have no food I normally eat:

411282_1270268664378_full.jpg

Cartman: So, what kind of side dishes are we going to enjoy this evening with our frozen waffles?
    (pause)
    Cartman: Am I to understand there will be no side dishes?

PS: Absolute worst case scenario, there's nothing that isn't high carb and I must eat. I just eat the food. There's always another day. I've never been in that spot. I can't imagine being in that spot. But, it's not the end of the world. I won't die or spontaneously combust.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I guess it is limiting, if the only things you like are those that I don't eat. The vast majority of items on most menus are acceptable foods (or can be made acceptable -- like getting a burger and just not eating the bun). Chicken, beef, fish, sausages, salads, vegetable sides, etc. It's mostly the bread, desserts, and starchy sides (rice, potatoes, etc.) that I avoid. The main dishes are usually fine.

For birthdays and special occasions, I can, and do, make ice cream out of heavy cream using sugar-free syrups. A half-cup of heavy cream (which is a large serving of ice cream) only has 3.5g of carbs. I like to add some stuff to it, like chopped up frozen strawberries, so it usually runs about 7-8g of net carbs when I make it. There are recipes for low-carb cheesecakes and cookies. I prefer the cheesecake on my birthday, usually skip the ice cream when I have cheesecake anyway. I aim to keep my carbs low, not at zero.

Hamburgers are easy, I just don't eat the bun. Pizza I will usually just eat the cheese and toppings and not touch the crust. It's not very filling, but it's not like I'll starve to death if I don't eat for a while. Chicken strips? I don't think I've ever been served chicken strips outside of a restaurant. If that was the only food, I would just scrape the breading off and eat the chicken. I would hope it wasn't the only food though. If it was at an informal event where people aren't seated around a table, like a party, I would probably just not eat. If anything, I would take a couple and walk around with them on a plate while hanging out. If there is legitimately nothing I would prefer to eat, I don't eat. I rarely am starving. Usually, there are options that work for me. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any time in six-months when there was truly nothing I could eat. I went to a lot of dinners/parties/events over the holiday season and didn't have any issues.

Pasta is an interesting one. I have never liked spaghetti, ever. Growing up, my mom taught us that spaghetti was poor-people food. Then we would have our "normal-people food" of rice and beans, sometimes with chicken, for dinner. Don't ask. I realize that I was raised with a skewed world view. Having rarely ever eaten pasta as a child, I never developed a taste for it. My friends and family all know I don't like it and would prefer not to eat it. So, even before this way of eating, I would pass on any pasta dishes. If there were meatballs or sausages, I could just take a few of those to eat with some cheese on top. I've only run into an issue of this once. I had an Italian coworker, years ago, who was very offended that I didn't like pasta. She repeatedly tried to get me to eat pasta and develop a taste for it. If I turned it down, she'd get angry. Eventually, she got used to it. I would eat a lot of other foods that she brought (olives, hummus, antipasti dishes), and she realized it wasn't an insult to her.

Thanks for answering. I guess it largely depends on personal tastes and how you grew up. I personally cannot imagine a life without pasta or cake. :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

It's not a theory...
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Thanks for answering. I guess it largely depends on personal tastes and how you grew up. I personally cannot imagine a life without pasta or cake. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, everyone is different. I openly admit that most people would find my preferences unsustainable. My fiancee is one of them. She's a pasta person. She also likes most kinds of sweets and cakes. When she makes pasta, I'll just have the meatballs with some sauce (usually served over a pounded chicken breast with some melted cheese on the top of it). She makes the meatballs without breadcrumbs for me. If I was at someone's house, I would just eat their meatballs and not worry about if they added breadcrumbs or not.

I also take a long term view of this. I like this way of eating and plan on keeping to this style for a long time to come. It is how I plan to eat 95%+ of the time. But, it is not something that must absolutely be strictly obeyed. There's no "bad or forbidden" foods. If I decide that I want a slice of pie, and that it's worth going over my carb macro that day for it, I'm going to have that slice of pie. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm not going to punish myself for it. Actually, if anything, I am going to make sure I *really* enjoy that pie because it's something that is very rare for me. If I really believed that I could never, ever, have sugar or grains again then this would be impossible. I just try to reduce my consumption of them most of the time. If I do that most of the time, a rare treat is no big deal. It's only a problem if that rare treat is not rare at all.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    For people questioning the buttered coffee thing, I have been hearing it's the latest big hipster coffee thing. Or is that the latest yuppie coffee thing? I don't know, I'm so up-hip I make my coffee at home, in a coffee pot.

"Hipster coffee thing" That is so true. I tried it once, yuck yuck yuck. I am clearly no good at being a hipster.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

It's not a theory...

Facts ain't got no place on MFP.
    We don't take kindly to your type 'round hurr.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

"Hipster coffee thing" That is so true. I tried it once, yuck yuck yuck. I am clearly no good at being a hipster.

I'm confused about how it's different than just putting cream in your coffee D:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

but... its... science....
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Why would you add butter to coffee for calories when you could eat something yummy like yoghurt, or eggs with avocado and cheese... It'd still be carb free if that's your thing.

But I agree with everyone else.
    Why are you torturing yourself?
    Eat what you want at a calorie deficit.

Plain yogurt has carbs from the lactose that remains. And eggs, avocado, and cheese all have carbs (albeit very minimal amounts). It also is a lot easier than cooking in the mornings.

Beyond that, you're operating on the assumption that butter in coffee isn't yummy. It's actually pretty awesome. There are days when I have time to cook breakfast, but I will still have the coffee because I enjoy it more. I eat a lot of eggs, but mostly at lunch and dinner. I don't really like solid foods in the morning.

I want to put a cookie in your mouth.

I like the way you think...