Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts
    :)

What!?

Gotta pre-soak those nuts.

QFT. It prevents them from getting sweaty.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee with flavored creamers too much. I don't really like butter so I cannot imagine butter in my coffee. I like to cook/bake with coconut oil but, again, not in my coffee.

My coffee means a lot to me. I may be one of those coffee snobs you mentioned.

In also for being a coffee snob.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    For people questioning the buttered coffee thing, I have been hearing it's the latest big hipster coffee thing. Or is that the latest yuppie coffee thing? I don't know, I'm so up-hip I make my coffee at home, in a coffee pot.

Square.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I follow something very similar to the bulletproof diet (perfect health diet) and it is not torture nor hard. Basically you are cutting out sugar and grains. It is very possible to eat like this and lose weight without calorie counting because you feel full all the time as your blood sugar gets so regulated.
    Cuts out sugar, meaning no baked goods, fruits, yogurts or sweet anythings. No grains, meaning no bread, rice, cereal, sandwiches, beer, many soups.
    Isn't hard...
    So meat and greens all day, every day, with the occasional dairy option? It probably isn't hard to transition if you grew up on a diet like this and have access to low cost meat, but saying it's not hard in general is a stretch.

What do you eat on your birthday, since cake and icecream are on your no-no list? I like to imagine you making a ham and then stabbing birthday candles in the top.

I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'll have a hand full of presoaked nuts
    :)

What!?

Gotta pre-soak those nuts.

QFT. It prevents them from getting sweaty.

Just wondering how they are measured....by the handful??
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Nvmd. :grumble:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone have to make things so much more difficult then they have to be....

Not everyone but I seriously wonder if it's not a self punishment for gaining weight as some sub-consious level...no joke...

Me too.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Why would you add butter to coffee for calories when you could eat something yummy like yoghurt, or eggs with avocado and cheese... It'd still be carb free if that's your thing.

But I agree with everyone else.
    Why are you torturing yourself?
    Eat what you want at a calorie deficit.

Plain yogurt has carbs from the lactose that remains. And eggs, avocado, and cheese all have carbs (albeit very minimal amounts). It also is a lot easier than cooking in the mornings.

Beyond that, you're operating on the assumption that butter in coffee isn't yummy. It's actually pretty awesome. There are days when I have time to cook breakfast, but I will still have the coffee because I enjoy it more. I eat a lot of eggs, but mostly at lunch and dinner. I don't really like solid foods in the morning.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If this works for you , good for you. Just could not do this for a lifetime change. I still think it truly is moderation in your food choices and portions. That being said, I guess the old saying... "Different strokes for different folks".. Good luck
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat whatever you want while watching your calorie intake and lose 2 lbs a weeks, aka the same amount you lost.

But hey, whatever works.

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5
    +6
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Isn't hard...

I always wonder this too when someone is quick to say they have cut out sugar or carbs for good and plan on doing it forever. Or what do they eat when they go out to eat? Or when they visit a family member's house for dinner?

I imagine a reasonable person would either eat a small serving of the "bad" food to be polite, or just crowd their plate with safe foods so they don't have room for "bad" foods. An attention seeker would flip a table and demand raw vegan risotto, hold the rice. Restaurants must be a nightmare, especially mom and pop joints without no carb options.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

What do I eat when I go out to eat? All sorts of stuff. I just don't eat the bread, fries, or desserts. It's actually a lot easier than people think. A steak with a salad (hold the croutons) and broccoli. How about some chicken wings? A cobb salad is awesome.

When I go to someone's house for dinner? I don't know about you but everyone whose house I visit serves meat and vegetables. I just don't serve myself some potatoes, rice, or rolls. I also don't stress too much about if there might have been a dusting of flour, pinch of sugar, or whatever added to the dish. Some people might, but I usually have enough leeway in my macros for some sneaky carbs to not effect anything.

I, too, was a vegetarian for a while (about 3 years). It was much harder and more complicated when I went out to eat and eat when I was visiting people than avoiding carbs is.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Why would you add butter to coffee for calories when you could eat something yummy like yoghurt, or eggs with avocado and cheese... It'd still be carb free if that's your thing.

But I agree with everyone else.
    Why are you torturing yourself?
    Eat what you want at a calorie deficit.

Plain yogurt has carbs from the lactose that remains. And eggs, avocado, and cheese all have carbs (albeit very minimal amounts). It also is a lot easier than cooking in the mornings.

Beyond that, you're operating on the assumption that butter in coffee isn't yummy. It's actually pretty awesome. There are days when I have time to cook breakfast, but I will still have the coffee because I enjoy it more. I eat a lot of eggs, but mostly at lunch and dinner. I don't really like solid foods in the morning.

I want to put a cookie in your mouth.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I respect the vegan life style .. or the "natural, grass fed" approach. Good for you!

I personally think it sounds like a damn headache. One of my good friends is vegan and some of her foods and recipes sound amazing .... but the stress she goes through, eating out on occasion, social gatherings, finding the right food..

Not worth it to me ONE bit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

What do I eat when I go out to eat? All sorts of stuff. I just don't eat the bread, fries, or desserts. It's actually a lot easier than people think. A steak with a salad (hold the croutons) and broccoli. How about some chicken wings? A cobb salad is awesome.

When I go to someone's house for dinner? I don't know about you but everyone whose house I visit serves meat and vegetables. I just don't serve myself some potatoes, rice, or rolls. I also don't stress too much about if there might have been a dusting of flour, pinch of sugar, or whatever added to the dish. Some people might, but I usually have enough leeway in my macros for some sneaky carbs to not effect anything.

I, too, was a vegetarian for a while (about 3 years). It was much harder and more complicated when I went out to eat and eat when I was visiting people than avoiding carbs is.

What does on the chicken wings?

And, more importantly, how do you eat wings without beer? Shenanigans.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

I prefer hot buffalo sauce. Pretty much any traditional buffalo sauce.

The lack of beer is a problem. LOL... but some diet coke and rum makes it less painful.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I prefer hot buffalo sauce. Pretty much any traditional buffalo sauce.

The lack of beer is a problem. LOL... but some diet coke and rum makes it less painful.

Well, surprise surprise. Frank's has no carbs. I would have guessed otherwise. Good to know.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I respect that answer, but for me personally, I would find the restaurant choices limiting. As far as visiting friends, what if they made spaghetti, hamburgers, pizza, chicken strips (or something else that is breaded)? I'm still curious to know what you eat on your birthday.