Gym tells woman she's intimidating guests with 'toned body'

Options
123457»

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

There is no "fit shaming." People just take the lunk alarm too personally.

You must be totally oblivious to all their commercials. They fit shame. Portray fit girls as gossiping stripper *kitten*. Bodybuilders as mentally deficient meatheads.

Yes exactly.

Also, to look at the alarm from a completely different perspective...I have pretty bad social anxiety, as well as what's known as an "exaggerated startle response" from ptsd. So if I was at a gym and I made a grunting noise because I was lifting heavy and an ear-splitting alarm went off, first I would jump six feet in the air and probably drop whatever I was holding, possibly on myself, then I would immediately feel like everyone was staring at me because I set the alarm off. It would take probably like half an hour for my pulse to get back to normal and the "fight or flight" adrenaline to go away, and I would never set foot in that gym again. Even if that didn't happen, the fear of it happening would restrict my ability to work out effectively. How is that a comfortable non-intimidating environment exactly? Even if someone else set off the alarm, that would scare the crap out of me and cause a great deal of discomfort and anxiety, and if I was on a treadmill or something I'd probably go flying lol.

I was wondering about that too because I also have PTSD and while the exaggerated startle response thing is not so bad these days, really I totally know what you mean about it especially how long it would take for your pulse rate to go back to normal and to feel relatively normal again

one thing I've found is that really heavy lifting like several sets of heavy squats to failure really helps with feeling normal again after that kind of thing. after therapy it's the main thing that's helped me get PTSD symptoms under control. And it has to be really heavy. Cardio has a limited effect, light weights has no effect, but heavy sets to failure really works on this. Oh but according to planet fitness I must be a "lunk" for wanting to lift really heavy weights.....

That's interesting, I'll have to remember that! I'm still relatively new to the whole lifting thing, I was always one of those people who did like three hours of cardio a day, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't start lifting heavy years ago. I work out at home with a kettlebell so it's not super heavy, but I'm hoping to work my way up to actual heavy lifting eventually. I definitely agree that strenuous exercise helps to burn off the extra adrenaline though, so it makes sense that the heavier the weight the better it would work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
  • cheekymcgee
    cheekymcgee Posts: 140
    Options

Lol, their commercials are ridiculous!!

This commercial, for one, is not likely to dissuade people from going to gyms in favor of Planet Fitness....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    See, this is exactly what I was talking about that I got **** for. Planet Fitness does not want members to be successful. It doesn't fit their business model. Even their commercials display this attitude.

Dead on. :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I was wondering when this was going to show up. That used to be my exact gym. I don't think she was asked to cover up because she's toned, I think it's because she was showing a lot of midriff. I remember seeing a couple people (men and women) asked to cover up in my time there.

If that's the case, that's still ridiculous. Asking someone to cover up the midriff at the gym is like asking someone to do the same at the beach. seriously? Like the belly is something of which to be ashamed. I've seen more 'midriff' at Walmart than I've seen at the gym, for gosh' sakes.

I agree that it was probably because she was not following dress code, not that she was 'too toned'. There is a huge difference in dress codes between gyms and fitness centers.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I was wondering when this was going to show up. That used to be my exact gym. I don't think she was asked to cover up because she's toned, I think it's because she was showing a lot of midriff. I remember seeing a couple people (men and women) asked to cover up in my time there.

If that's the case, that's still ridiculous. Asking someone to cover up the midriff at the gym is like asking someone to do the same at the beach. seriously? Like the belly is something of which to be ashamed. I've seen more 'midriff' at Walmart than I've seen at the gym, for gosh' sakes.

I agree that it was probably because she was not following dress code, not that she was 'too toned'. There is a huge difference in dress codes between gyms and fitness centers.

there should be no difference between "gym" and "fitness center". Referring to a place to go to work out where there are workout machines, weights, and trainers, both are the same thing. Dress codes should keep people from working out nude or in street clothes, but if they are in workout clothing, it shouldn't matter. I've seen both fit and overweight women working out in sports bras and I'm fine with both. Same with men, if they want to wear the shirts that reveal their torsos, whether fit or not, who cares? Let them show their confidence. That sort of thing should be more infectious in our society.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Crazy stuff. People were staring at her making her feel uncomfortable. Hmmm. Give me a break. Oh the hypocrisy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I'm bettin' that the dress code gets violated all the time at the Richmond PF. Dudes still wear shorts with the waistband down to their knees.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't know about planet fitness... because I live in Korea... and my gym membership cost 130dollars for 3 months... and if i want a locker it cost an extra 130dollars. However.. now that I watched the commercials... personally I don't see a real problem with planet fitness.... with its 10dollar membership... i'm sure a lot of people that normally can't afford a gym don't have an excuse..

I even approve of the dress code.. nothing wrong with working out with a T-shirt and shorts.. but I would have to say they really need to reconsider the grunting... and heavy breathing... that is part of a workout...

Also no dropping of weights.... some exercises require you to drop weights... for those ..ex: dead lifts... they need to have a special area...