Planet Fitness Tell Woman to Cover Up

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What offends me most is how people jump to outrage before actually understanding the situation.

Its as if they read a headline and go "OH... I'M SO ANGRY... HULK SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Yep, that's exactly how I responded. Hulk Smash! :flowerforyou:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    "Yeah... so we need you to leave."
    "Why?"
    "You're offending the fatties."
    "..."

Only on the Internet, where someone violates a dress code and people dream up stories they think are more interesting than what really happened.

Yeah... I don't know. I went into planet fitness once and the manager walked up to me, looked me up and down, scoffed, and walked away. Considering that was when I was at my heaviest, that hurt quite a bit. That place is a disaster...

No, that particular manager was a disaster.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I hear all these stories about Planet Fitness I go there and the location I go to doesn't care what you do. I hear people grunt, drop weights and they never say anything. One of the guys who works there grunts and drops weight all the time. I think it's only certain locations that are crazy like that. I enjoy for now while I'm starting out.
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    I looked at the article and she wasn't dressed in any inappropriate manner! I would be inspired by her instead of intimidated and shame on PF for treating her like that! I can tell you it isn't the one i go to...they have barely 18 year old girls there w/their @sses hanging out of teeny tiny shorts and sports bras. Although this is the same one that lets people go in the 30 min room despite several complaints daily and lets them use 1 machine for 25 mins half of which is spent on a cell phone talking and not enforcing the "wipe down" rule anymore.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I looked at the article and she wasn't dressed in any inappropriate manner! I would be inspired by her instead of intimidated and shame on PF for treating her like that! I can tell you it isn't the one i go to...they have barely 18 year old girls there w/their @sses hanging out of teeny tiny shorts and sports bras. Although this is the same one that lets people go in the 30 min room despite several complaints daily and lets them use 1 machine for 25 mins half of which is spent on a cell phone talking and not enforcing the "wipe down" rule anymore.

This drives me crazy. Why can't people leave their cell phones in the locker room where they belong? People are always leaving their phones in the middle of the floor when I'm doing my classes and one of these days, I'm going to step on one. And of course it will be my fault that I didn't "watch where I was going." There was this one lady that stopped every few minutes in an hour long class to text someone.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I hear all these stories about Planet Fitness I go there and the location I go to doesn't care what you do. I hear people grunt, drop weights and they never say anything. One of the guys who works there grunts and drops weight all the time. I think it's only certain locations that are crazy like that. I enjoy for now while I'm starting out.

Totes agree with you, dear!

And also, this entire thread makes me lol. That is all.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's really a shame certain locations take things to such an extreme. The Planet Fitness I go to is great. The trainer I work with there is amazing and incredibly helpful. The staff is amazing. People work out in whatever they want to. There's a girl that always run in her sports bra and I admire her. Those who lift keep the grunting and dropping of weights to a minimum (basically only doing it when it's physically necessary) and I've only hear the "lunk alarm" go off once.
    Yes, their bagel Tuesdays and pizza Mondays are a little crazy and their whole marketing campaign is a little off putting, but I've had amazing experiences at Planet Fitness and I really can't afford to go anywhere else.
    I just wish some locations do stupid stuff like this.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    they leave me alone but i'm also not displaying body parts..... They really like skankly dressed patrons also.....
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Honestly it just looks like a dress code problem. If they have a problem with her attire, they should have said, "no bare midriffs" and left it at that. Honestly, I don't like working out in gyms with women in sports bras/crop tops. A tank top will not make you overheat, kthanks.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The fact is they are a cardio studio. They call themselves a gym, yet discourage real weight lifting. Yet they do a good job of marketing to their demographics, which is a very profitable demographic. Which is those that want to get in shape, join up, but never show up. (These are the people gyms needs to help make a profit. The drawback is, that means they are pushing other gyms to drop their prices or chasing real gyms out of business.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's really a shame certain locations take things to such an extreme. The Planet Fitness I go to is great. The trainer I work with there is amazing and incredibly helpful. The staff is amazing. People work out in whatever they want to. There's a girl that always run in her sports bra and I admire her. Those who lift keep the grunting and dropping of weights to a minimum (basically only doing it when it's physically necessary) and I've only hear the "lunk alarm" go off once.
    Yes, their bagel Tuesdays and pizza Mondays are a little crazy and their whole marketing campaign is a little off putting, but I've had amazing experiences at Planet Fitness and I really can't afford to go anywhere else.

If you like it, then great, the rates are fair and the hours tend to be true 24 hours, but I have had friends that tried it and set the lunk alarm off while they were on the treadmill huffing and puffing.
  • techgal128
    Options

If you like it, then great, the rates are fair and the hours tend to be true 24 hours, but I have had friends that tried it and set the lunk alarm off while they were on the treadmill huffing and puffing.

Can someone explain to me what this alarm is? I've never heard of it.
  • bermudamel
    Options

Its a big red light on the wall that's attached to a purple sign that says Lunk alarm and it flashes and makes noise if someone is being a "lunk"...No grunting, no dropping weights, no judging. i can tell you if they used it every time someone didn't wipe the machines off it would be going nonstop at my pf!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure the point of your response. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Obviously it does. Or else this thread, and the 7 others I've seen about this exact same situation, wouldn't exist. I'd prefer to go to another gym, but show me another gym in my area that will charge me $10 a month with free access to a personal trainer, and I'll sign up.
    It's not like I'm denying the ridiculousness that certain PF locations partake in, I'm just saying it's not the case for every location and a lot of people can see great success. I might be taking a lot of these comments personally, but myself, and many others who attend PF, are extremely serious about fitness. We just happen to be tight on money. It just seems a lot of people are lumping together the bad marketing of PF with the people who go there, and that's not always the case.
  • techgal128
    Options

Its a big red light on the wall that's attached to a purple sign that says Lunk alarm and it flashes and makes noise if someone is being a "lunk"...No grunting, no dropping weights, no judging. i can tell you if they used it every time someone didn't wipe the machines off it would be going nonstop at my pf!

How does it get set off? Do one of the employees just creep on people and press a button when they feel somebody is doing one of these things?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

How did they know that the "lunk alarm" was set off because of them? I've never heard of it being set off for someone huffing and puffing on a treadmill. And I huff and puff on the treadmill 2-3 times a week, yet I've never set off the "lunk alarm".
  • bermudamel
    Options

How does it get set off? Do one of the employees just creep on people and press a button when they feel somebody is doing one of these things?

I have no idea. I have never seen it go off in mine. You can't even find help when a machine is busted!
  • bermudamel
    Options

I have no idea. I have never seen it go off in mine. You can't even find help when a machine is busted!

I would totally do it on those who don't wipe down but I can't see the grunting or huffing and puffing being an issue. You're not doing it to be rude, its just a natural thing!
  • techgal128
    Options

I would totally do it on those who don't wipe down but I can't see the grunting or huffing and puffing being an issue. You're not doing it to be rude, its just a natural thing!

That's no fun! :D

"Hey you! I don't like your shorts!" *bweep bweep bweep*