large or small breakfast to lose weight?

large or small breakfast to lose weight?to eat in the mornings, I still attend school so I find it hard to eat a large breakfasti get up at 5:15am and eat something small usually 50-100 calories at 6:30am but I eat school lunch at 10:30am.
Im trying to lose weight would it be better to eat a large or small breakfast? Or none at all.

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I don't.

I get up and go to work every morning then don't consume food until my lunch break around 1:30.

The more often I eat, the hungrier I am.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    It's really about eating less than you burn or use. When and how you eat is negligible except to help keep you on track. Eat below your maintenance calories and you will lose weight regardless of how and when you time your meals.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    It doesn't matter, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit throughout the entire day.
  • If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories. There is a lot of truth to that saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Breakfast or lack of sets you up for the rest of the day. Breakfast doesn't have to be big. A granola bar with light yogurt works. A mini-bagel with yogurt or fruit and granola or bar also works. Grab a protein bar with fruit. This will curve your hunger throughout the day. You could buy these items beforehand and grab and go in the morning.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    I have to eat breakfast, sometimes small, sometimes big. But I don't eat lunch, it's not on purpose, just don't usually have time for lunch until about 2:30 or 3:00 and by then I may has well wait and have a good sized dinner instead.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    You always want to start your morning off with A high protein breakfast. Protein helps speed up your metabolism through out the day. Helps nourish your body and helps to shred the fat away. Examples

Eggs in the morning scrambled or hard boiled (boil some at the beginning of the week to have through out the week)

I would pick up some whey protein. Whey Protein has about 24 grams of protein. Make a shake. I like 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, a cup of water, half of a banana and A scoop of whey protein. Blend together and enjoy

Protein bars for quick mornings

Those are just a few examples. Always make sure you eat breakfast and always make sure your getting your protein.

hope that helps<3
    Feel free to add me If you need any other advice or questions
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Do whatever works best for you. As long as you hit your calorie goal on average, you will lose weight.

I personally found that it's better for me to eat breakfast, otherwise I get too hungry and overeat in the afternoon/evening. However, that meal can happen right away or as much as 3 hours after I get up. Depends on plans for the day and how hungry I am.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    It's really about eating less than you burn or use. When and how you eat is negligible except to help keep you on track. Eat below your maintenance calories and you will lose weight regardless of how and when you time your meals.

Ding, ding, ding! ............. and we have a winner!

It's all about what keeps you on track.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I don't even eat breakfast. I wake up around 5-7 depending on kids and usually don't get hungry until noon. I think I'm doing okay ;)

Do what makes you feel best. As long as you're staying within your calorie limits, you'll lost weight. There's no magic formula but the one that helps to adhere to your diet
  • SugaryLynx
    If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

That's not true. Also, your body burns calories just being alive... Unless after the 4 hour Window. ..zombies
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    large or small breakfast to lose weight?to eat in the mornings, I still attend school so I find it hard to eat a large breakfasti get up at 5:15am and eat something small usually 50-100 calories at 6:30am but I eat school lunch at 10:30am.
    Im trying to lose weight would it be better to eat a large or small breakfast? Or none at all.

Calorie deficit to lose weight. It does not matter what time of day you eat...as long as you eat at a deficit.
  • If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

That's not true. Also, your body burns calories just being alive... Unless after the 4 hour Window. ..zombies

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burn calories just by being alive. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.
  • SugaryLynx
    If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burns calories. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.

Then I must be a mutant because I go well over 4 hours without eating ALL the time and lost 50 lbs doing so. My key was staying in my calorie limits.
  • Linda_9518
    Linda_9518 Posts: 11 Member
    It's really about whatever works for you because at the end of the day, it's all about: Less in, more out....

I try to eat more often so I'm not starving or hungry all of the times and so that when I am eating, I don't over do it because I'm so hungry (if that makes any sense).

My days are like this: Workout before anything, then go home and: Breakfast 300+/- cals. Go to work: am snacks, another 300+/- cals, lunch another 300+/- cals, afternoon snack 100-150 cals and the rest of the calories at dinner. Then it's lights out, I don't eat after dinner's done, just don't need to since I eat dinner pretty late. Seems like I'm always eating... :)

And I don't get up in the middle of the night every 4 hrs to eat either... -___-
  • If you go more than 4 hours without food then your blood sugar will drop which in turn drops your metabolism. If your metabolism is low then your body won't burn calories.

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burns calories. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.

Then I must be a mutant because I go well over 4 hours without eating ALL the time and lost 50 lbs doing so. My key was staying in my calorie limits.

Well you must be a mutant then because I stand by my experience as well. If anyone cares to research then they would find most health experts do not recommend going more than 4 hours without food, especially if a person wants to lost weight. In order to lose in a healthy manner, metabolism must be up. In order for that to happen, the blood sugar level must be balanced. In order for that to happen, a person should each healthy at regular intervals throughout the day. I have lost 45lbs doing it this way on Sparkpeople.com and 5 lbs since joing this board again.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Whatever works for you. I tried small breakfasts for a few weeks and I was miserable. I would want to cry by the time lunch rolled around. Now I have a bowl of oatmeal made with milk, 200-240 calories depending on what I out it in, and I survive just fine until lunch.
  • SugaryLynx

Well you must be a mutant then because I stand by my experience as well. If anyone cares to research then they would find most health experts do not recommend going more than 4 hours without food, especially if a person wants to lost weight. In order to lose in a healthy manner, metabolism must be up. In order for that to happen, the blood sugar level must be balanced. In order for that to happen, a person should each healthy at regular intervals throughout the day. I have lost 45lbs doing it this way on Sparkpeople.com and 5 lbs since joing this board again.

The only correlation I can see is by spacing your meals out this way, it is preferable for you and helps you adhere to your diet. That's great, I'm happy for you but there are other ways in which people sustain their hunger levels. This is very personal. There's tons of people who practice intermittent fasting and they also lose well. The point being, do what works for you.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

I have to disagree because it's not the point that your body burn calories just by being alive. The point is it will burn slow and will not burn enough to lose weight.

No. Just no. Timing has no significance on weight loss...especially for those who have a lot to lose. Calorie deficit, the end.

The only correlation I can see is by spacing your meals out this way, it is preferable for you and helps you adhere to your diet. That's great, I'm happy for you but there are other ways in which people sustain their hunger levels. This is very personal. There's tons of people who practice intermittent fasting and they also lose well. The point being, do what works for you.

The correlation is not just in spacing your meals. It also relates to the type of weight a person loses as well - water, fat, and muscle mass. Losing weight is not the issue. Losing fat and maintaining a health weight are the goals here. Furthermore, you don't know if those "tons" of people who practice intermittent fasting are losing well or healthy just because they are losing weight. The same point could be stated to you. You do whatever floats your boat as well!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. Your body can't tell time, and the changes in metabolism are so minute, and so slow that you'll never notice them, especially not within a four hour window. Meal timing is meaningless to weight loss, and to the previous poster who mentioned a high protein breakfast to speed metabolism, false, the same principle applies.

OP eat a big, or small, or no breakfast if that's what suits your lifestyle, calorie deficit is what matters.

Rigger