Came for support....so disappointed

Options

Replies

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Browsed through some of your previous posts - the one asking if anyone had taken Phentermine - and it seemed you got nothing but helpful, supportive responses. Maybe you are giving too much credit to the negative ones. In a public forum, obviously the responses will range from positive to negative and everything in between, just like in real life and any other situation. It's up to you to weed through the negative and appreciate the positive, rather than getting caught up in the posts that don't seem as supportive.
  • jenny181111
    jenny181111 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    just do what is best for you, I think everyone has had an issue or two on here.

For me personally, I just didn't look at the thread I had started after I got several negative comments.

xx good luck
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think people are merely confused as to how if you are currently:

1. Measuring and logging all your food intake correctly
    2. Exercising regularly
    3. Keeping a calorie deficit

That you have not lost any weight for 18 months, and how an appetite suppressant (which is the medication you yourself said was prescribed) is going to change the situation. That's not being judgmental and rude, it's simply logic.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    here is a flower

:flowerforyou:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Just to add - in their defence - some of the people who are blunt, direct and can come across as a bit rude , do have a wealth of experience. Look at what they've achieved and read what they say with an open mind . There maybe something there that you can pick up.
    Like I used to say to my daughter when she was upset by people commenting on her fashion sense; look at the person's achievements (dress sense in her case) and decide whether their advice is worth following. You are right - we are all different (I go for low tech, simple approach to my diet/exercise) but listening to all views costs nothing - even if you feel they are getting at you!

Good luck - and make some nice friends! :smile:
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    SOBS
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways this topic could be responded to after a review of your other postings, so I will simply say that I enjoy unique snowflakes. Good luck.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Did someone actually call you lazy, or did they just say that you need to suck it up, be patient and put in the work? There is a difference.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    People were not mean to you, and I didn't see anyone call you lazy on that thread (apologies if I missed it). People pointed out that phen is another way to achieve a calorie deficit, that's all.

People on this board have a lot of experience and success working a calorie deficit (or surplus, if they're trying to gain). It is the entire premise of this website. Expect to be challenged if you claim that a deficit failed for you.

Challenging claims like yours is not meanness- many people request clarification or more details in the hopes of actually helping you, finding out what went wrong, what could be better. None of this is a personal attack, ok?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people confuse "support" with "agreeing with everything I say no matter how dangerous or silly it is." If you just want people to say yes yes yes to you, you're in the wrong place.

^^^^ This
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you posted about taking phentermine and told people who are anti-weight loss drugs not to reply, and you said in your post that each time you used it in the past, you regained the weight

what kinds of replies did you expect?
  • Fabulousbod
    Options
    Hello I am really sorry you are having a bad experience. I joined a year ago and never got started due to the fact
    that I have no time for judgmental people and I have a great support system in family and friends around me.
    I recently got a friend request from my dear guy friend and I am here. Sometimes its better to link up with that
    one person and get a mentor/motivator. You don't need to be judge by a whole forum of people who know
    absolutely nothing about you. Sometimes our bodies just don't function the way it should because of stress,
    medication or we just have a slow metabolism. I don't need to be here. I can lose weight by cutting carbs and
    I will melt off 20 pounds in two months which is too fast but my metabolism is extremely high. If you wish you
    can send me a friend request and we can share info, foods, exercise plans etc. We need support not ignorance.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think people are merely confused as to how if you are currently:

1. Measuring and logging all your food intake correctly

I'd bet a large sum of money that she was not tracking accurately.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people confuse "support" with "agreeing with everything I say no matter how dangerous or silly it is." If you just want people to say yes yes yes to you, you're in the wrong place.

^^^^ This

+ 1

OP: sometimes, just sometimes, telling someone that they're wrong and what their doing is possibly dangerous and isn't helping them achieve their goals, is supporting them, because they don't like to see other people doing things that are going to only lead to failure and health problems further down the line. You know, because they actually care about the person doing this to themselves.

Sorry you took it so personally, but my advice is to take the advice of the people telling you to ditch the pills and go for slow and steady weight loss with a sensible deficit.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand what you mean when you talk about lack of support. I see that you recently got constructive criticism/guidance on the Phentermine threads, as well as some not-so-contructive feedback - but both are expected in a public forum about a highly sensitive, volatile subject such as diet pills. I fear you are interpreting this as people not supporting you personally. In reality, they are simply not supporting one decision of yours, but I don't see that as not supporting you as a whole. Support doesn't exclude people from disagreeing with you. I don't see anyone criticizing/judging you as a person or encouraging you to quit or fail - now *that* would be unsupportive and just plain mean.
    If you are looking for blind support of your choices/actions, you won't find that on MFP or anywhere else on the Internet. That's just the reality of life. The real question is - are you really willing to give up that easily on something that's important to you? I don't want you to quit. You may think my response is harsh, but it's meant to be supportive - it really is. In reality, most people here want you to succeed and are trying to respond to you in a way that encourages that. Perhaps you just need to find an MFP group that shares your goals, as well as your approach - and hopefully there you will find the support you really need.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    you posted about taking phentermine and told people who are anti-weight loss drugs not to reply, and you said in your post that each time you used it in the past, you regained the weight

She expected that we've never heard the "special snowflake" story before.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Just in case you missed it. This. Your feelings are hurt, I get that. But as was stated in the other thread? Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (A. Einstein.)

If you want pats on the back for taking a drug instead of looking deeply and HONESTLY at your routine, I'd check with your doctor's office for Phen support groups.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I'm a mean person...

So here is a flower :flowerforyou:

You do what you want. If this is a decision that you're sure about, you shouldn't give a rats @ss what I have to say about it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, if you're looking for people to agree with you about your decision to take diet pills you're probably on the wrong website. No one has actually called you 'lazy' on the forums (it's interesting you believe that word has been used), so you're just going to have to...

deal_with_it_fabulously.gif