Came for support....so disappointed

Options

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't know who you are, but I feel the same as you do. I have been working hard for the past 3 months, doing things "right" and am so frustrated with lack of progress.

Our bodies get very, very well adapted to holding on to extra pounds. I cannot lose weight. I can get fit. I can cut calories! But my body will not lose weight.

Very frustrated, here. Kind of angry that other folks do not seem to be honest that my same situation applies to many very hard working ladies who are doing things RIGHT, yet see no results from their honest efforts.

The body usually plateau after getting used to the same exercise. Have you switched up on your exercise like add more time to cardio and more weights to strength training?
    IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

Well, my body plateaued after I lost 30 lbs. doing the same routine. I consulted a certified trainer and followed her recommendations. I added 10 extras minutes to my cardio and 5 extras lbs. for weight training and I started losing again.
    weight loss isn't linear, so expecting loss to magically start again just because you add 10 minutes of cardio is kinda silly. same for adding more weight. you aren't fooling your body.

If it was 6 weeks or more at the same weight... with logging accurately... and no loss... then it wasn't that you were at a plateau, it was that you found your maintenance calories... and the added workouts brought you back into a caloric deficit.

I won't pertain to be an expert at this but I wasn't trying to fool my body. My point was to challenge it more which is working. As silly as it may have been, I was glad the weight started coming off again.

...and how long were you at this plateau?

A month.....

If I understand correctly, you are saying if I had eaten less but remained with the same exercise time, I would have started to lose anyway?
    Since the whole thing is a math equation... in all likelihood, yes.

I figured that was what you were saying but I wanted to be sure. Here was the issue with me. I originally created the calorie deficiency while losing the initial 30lbs. When I stalled, I was at 1200 calories. I had already decreased my calorie intake as low as possible without going into the danger zone as I call it (less than 1200). Therefore, I chose to increase my exercise to create the deficiency, again.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    you posted about taking phentermine and told people who are anti-weight loss drugs not to reply, and you said in your post that each time you used it in the past, you regained the weight

what kinds of replies did you expect?

She posted in that thread, but she did not start it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't know who you are, but I feel the same as you do. I have been working hard for the past 3 months, doing things "right" and am so frustrated with lack of progress.

Our bodies get very, very well adapted to holding on to extra pounds. I cannot lose weight. I can get fit. I can cut calories! But my body will not lose weight.

Very frustrated, here. Kind of angry that other folks do not seem to be honest that my same situation applies to many very hard working ladies who are doing things RIGHT, yet see no results from their honest efforts.

The body usually plateau after getting used to the same exercise. Have you switched up on your exercise like add more time to cardio and more weights to strength training?
    IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

Well, my body plateaued after I lost 30 lbs. doing the same routine. I consulted a certified trainer and followed her recommendations. I added 10 extras minutes to my cardio and 5 extras lbs. for weight training and I started losing again.
    weight loss isn't linear, so expecting loss to magically start again just because you add 10 minutes of cardio is kinda silly. same for adding more weight. you aren't fooling your body.

If it was 6 weeks or more at the same weight... with logging accurately... and no loss... then it wasn't that you were at a plateau, it was that you found your maintenance calories... and the added workouts brought you back into a caloric deficit.

I won't pertain to be an expert at this but I wasn't trying to fool my body. My point was to challenge it more which is working. As silly as it may have been, I was glad the weight started coming off again.

A month.....

If I understand correctly, you are saying if I had eaten less but remained with the same exercise time, I would have started to lose anyway?

I figured that was what you were saying but I wanted to be sure. Here was the issue with me. I originally created the calorie deficiency while losing the initial 30lbs. When I stalled, I was at 1200 calories. I had already decreased my calorie intake as low as possible without going into the danger zone as I call it (less than 1200). Therefore, I chose to increase my exercise to create the deficiency, again.
    so wait.. you're accurately measuring everything that you're eating... eating less than 1200 calories... and when you brought this up, your trainers told you to work out more?

1200 calories shouldn't be a goal, especially if you're working out. I'd also slap your trainers, then fire them for telling you to create that much of a deficit.

If you're 100% positive that you're weighing / logging everything accurately and HAVE to eat under 1200 calories in order to lose weight, something else could be going on.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi Coop,
    I have just joined this forum in the last few days. I also have been put on medication by my Doctor as I could not shift my weight no matter what I did. I have tried different diets and none would work for me either. Remember Doctors are not going to hand out medication for no good reason. This medication is a helping hand ALONG with a diet, so you are not being lazy as you still have to diet as much as the next person. In fact I would say it is not an easy option using meds as anyone who has been on these meds know WHAT HAPPENS if you don't keep to the low fat diet. The side effects are very unpleasant, even a small slip up has bad consequences. There is no shame in asking for help when it is needed. Do not let other people put you off by negative comments. As you said, this forum is for support.

Good luck with your weight loss.
    Hannah

Hannah, I just joined a few days ago too. I posted a thread about being on medication. This site, MyfFtnessPal, I found out is NOT the place to talk about being on medication that was prescribed by your doctor. You are not lazy! You are doing your best.

This is the person who started the other thread, not the OP. not that it matters....
  • celesteoglesby
    Options
    So sorry. Please send me a message, I struggle all the time, I am too fat, too thin, over workout, am obsessive, whatever. No judgement ever from me.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A Google search gave information about other forums that seem to support that angle for weight loss. Good luck.
  • Branstin
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

A month.....

so wait.. you're accurately measuring everything that you're eating... eating less than 1200 calories... and when you brought this up, your trainers told you to work out more?

1200 calories shouldn't be a goal, especially if you're working out. I'd also slap your trainers, then fire them for telling you to create that much of a deficit.

If you're 100% positive that you're weighing / logging everything accurately and HAVE to eat under 1200 calories in order to lose weight, something else could be going on.

Yes, I honestly logged everything because I was determined to lose weight. Since I was at the minimum of 1200 calories per day, she suggested that I up my exercise. When I did, I started to lose again.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

IXUO5zJ.gif

LOL You are funny!

A month.....

Not necessarily. She could just be small and middle aged! And just trying to lose those last 5-10! At 46 and around 125 lbs, with my current body fat, my TDEE (including exercise) is not more than 1650, probably more like 1600. If I take a 500 calorie deficit (which would give me a 1 lb a week loss), then that puts my goal at 1100. The tricky part is that if I make my deficit smaller (say 250), then even a slight inaccuracy in intake or output can erase my deficit, and thus stall weight loss. Your information is pretty good, and you are definitely courteous in delivery, but you really spoke without knowing the facts. You may be right, but I may be right here in my assessment too. Only knowing the stats will prove the truth. This is a good example of how a blanket statement can give false information. And many posters are not nearly as kind as you! Or as I hope I am being.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Not necessarily. She could just be small and middle aged! And just trying to lose those last 5-10! At 46 and around 125 lbs, with my current body fat, my TDEE (including exercise) is not more than 1650, probably more like 1600. If I take a 500 calorie deficit (which would give me a 1 lb a week loss), then that puts my goal at 1100. The tricky part is that if I make my deficit smaller (say 250), then even a slight inaccuracy in intake or output can erase my deficit, and thus stall weight loss. Your information is pretty good, and you are definitely courteous in delivery, but you really spoke without knowing the facts. You may be right, but I may be right here in my assessment too. Only knowing the stats will prove the truth. This is a good example of how a blanket statement can give false information. And many posters are not nearly as kind as you! Or as I hope I am being.

Right, but it's another one of those dangerous blanket statements... "change up your workouts to lose because your body gets used to them." It's just as bad as "well, 1200 calories worked for me"... ya know?
  • CoopMaybrymommy
    Options
    To those who have been supportive, thank you. NO, I don't expect everyone to agree with me and you don't have to agree with my choices - they are my choices and I have come to them and I will take responsibility for them. However, my original point was that you don't have to be mean and disrespectful just because I am doing it differently than you are. It was not my original post that I was talking about calling me lazy - it was the others that I had been a part of. And I am not a liar. I do have a dietician/nutritionist, 2 personal trainers, my husband and my doctor who have been with me through this journey. I didn't expect to be coddled...I expected to be respected. And that didn't happen. Thank you to those who discussed the groups and for those who have friended me. I will use those aspects of this website and stay off the boards. And for the rest, good luck with all of your journeys. We are apparently all in the same boat....it's just too bad that we can't all just be supportive instead of trying to throw the others out.
  • Branstin
    Options

Right, but it's another one of those dangerous blanket statements... "change up your workouts to lose because your body gets used to them." It's just as bad as "well, 1200 calories worked for me"... ya know?

So what do you suggest for a person who stalled at losing weight (healthy, no medical issues) if they are already at the minimum amount of calories? How else could they create a deficiency without increasing the exercise?
  • trogalicious
    Options

So what do you suggest for a person who stalled at losing weight (healthy, no medical issues) if they are already at the minimum amount of calories? How else could they create a deficiency without increasing the exercise?
    a reset.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027389-metabolic-reset
  • Branstin
    Options
    I will read this and try it...perhaps. I better read it in its entirety first. LOL!

Thank you
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guys, you need to stop being mean. Seriously. Your truth is just hurting people's feelings. Stop it right now.

1367682137990.png
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

a reset.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027389-metabolic-reset

I wish it had worked for me. Instead I gained 15 pounds, which I still can't lose using a reasonable deficit!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    OP -- So sorry you've had this experience. Sadly, as you can see from many of the replies, it's not an isolated incident. It's a real shame that some people don't know how to be honest while being kind, compassionate and considerate. In their world, apparently these things are mutually exclusive. Or they think that honesty is carte blanche to be an a-hole. And, they'll usually defend their bad behavior -- whether it's rude, mocking or just downright nasty -- with some host of excuses: "we're just honest and you can't handle the truth!", "we're just blunt", "we refuse to coddle anyone", "you don't have a sense of humor", "stop being so sensitive -- get a thicker skin", etc.

People that act like that just have issues and the only thing that really can be done is ignore them (wish I could follow my own advice!). As many others have said, try to ignore them and focus on the people that are kind, respectful and helpful. Leave the rest of the drivel alone. Feel free to friend me. Best of luck in your journey!
  • robindean2
    robindean2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • robindean2
    robindean2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most people don't feel like wasting their time supporting someone who is obviously lieing. What you are describing is medically impossible. If it isn't a lie then some piece of information you have been given is not true.

Lying? Seriously! Where is YOUR medical degree Sheesh.....
  • amyfullbrook
    amyfullbrook Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OP - I wouldn't ever come on the forums for support there are so many mean people on here. I've had my fair share. Join groups and talk to the people on your friends list...not on here.
  • Jennifer_Delarosa
    Jennifer_Delarosa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on phentermine for 6 years it did a lot of mental and emotional damage in my life . Once I got off it it was so hard for me to live without it . My husband couldn't stand me when I was taking it he always ran away from me he said I was a psycho . Jus sayin!