Came for support....so disappointed

Options

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Hey, another thread where an OP throws a tantrum because people didn't support her nonsensical excuse making!

No one was mean to you in that topic. In fact, your case is so weak that I can't suggest that you grow thicker skin, because it would appear that you must lack skin entirely.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've seen this thread before. Meh.

Wait, that's mean of me. What I meant was to pat you on the head say "there, there", and assure you that you ARE a special snowflake. Of course diet and exercise doesn't work for you. It will all be OK.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to ragequit later......................on speed
    hbaked09.jpg
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    Blunt and honest is fantastic. I have looked at many parts of this forum and there is a very clear difference between blunt and honest and very rude and mean spirited.

And I don't want to be coddled myself, or for anyone to agree with everything I say. I belong to another forum where you're encouraged (in the user agreement) to call someone out on their crap. It is also a support forum.

And people there can become very rude, OR (the thing I seem to come across here the most) wait until one person posts the first mocking/rude reply and then HELLO, PITCHFORKS!

I've also been the person that was rude to other people. I mean RUDE, not blunt. There was a problem with the rude part.

People are rude because they are insecure. If they feel like they have more information than you, then they feel "better" than you. Or they can while they momentarily tear you a new one. Sadly, I've done it. I stopped because 1. It was upsetting people and 2. I didn't like being that person.

So, equipped with that knowledge and having gotten over that portion of my life, I laugh at/ feel sorry for the people who are mean because they *think* they are superior. I'm not intimidated by post count on an internet forum, that literally means nothing, especially if 50% of it is being in the Cool, Super Insecure Kids group that goes around being rude to other, newer posters.

They don't have to be mean. It just looks awesome to their internet friends. Which is hilarious.

So, take what you can, leave the a-holes. They are actually very sad people. And I literally mean ignore them. Don't respond, nothing. They are a little blip. That's all.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just read the other threads. I think most people are just being blunt. Even in the real world, you're going to have people disagree with you, and you shouldn't feel attacked. Personally I'd consult a doctor if you really are in a calorie deficit and see what the problem is, not look for chemicals and drugs to help. I had an ex push diet pills on me. They are so dangerous, it's not even funny. They will harm your liver, kidneys, heart, etc. I don't get, why if you're feeling hungry, you can't fill up on real nutritious foods. Pills are a temporary and dangerous solution. I don't want to sound cliche but it is a lifestyle change. It's a hard journey and to succeed
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Find people who are successfully doing something you want to do.

Listen to these people.

Do what they do.

Succeed.

Or, there's the opposite plan.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like the brutal honesty of MFP. I don't want the bs sugar coating. If I'm not losing, it's because I'm doing something W R O N G. I am not afraid to admit or acknowledge that. Being aware of your failures allows for you to improve and become a stronger person.

Committing to pills and weight loss fads is not something I will ever do again. In reality, they never work. And when you stop them? The weight all comes back.

Good luck! But to be honest, I'd stop wasting money on fads and see a therapist. It might help you long term. (Being serious not trolling.)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    For the record, the thread OP is referencing is here (and she was not the poster of the topic) : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1232454-after-stopping-phentermine-don-t-reply-if-anti-diet-pills

CindyB97 said to you
    You said you are "proof" that calorie deficits don't work for everybody. Then what exactly is the point of an appetite depressant? Since a deficit won't help you lose weight, why eat less? I'm confused.

Does anyone see OP being called lazy here?

I said,
    Phentermine is an appetite suppressant. It works by making you not hungry so you eat less and therefore have a calorie deficit.

So... calorie deficits work and you just could not maintain a calorie deficit without chemical help.

Calling OP lazy? No. Stating what I considered factual information? Yes.

I also later said this to her:
    When you cut calories, oftentimes your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) goes down as your body tries to regulate itself to less calories. While this does "slow" your metabolism, it can be countered without medications such as phentermine. You simply need to be more conscious about movement. Undoubtedly, without the phentermine you were not in a calorie deficit. If you moved more, ate less, or did a combination of the two you would have seen weight loss.

Phentermine is a stimulant as well as an appetite suppressant and you can only use it for 12 weeks at a time. It has a lot of side effects including:

Chest pain
    decreased ability to exercise
    dizziness
    fainting
    fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
    headache
    numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
    swelling of the feet or lower legs
    trembling or shaking of the legs, arms, hands, or feet
    trouble breathing
    trouble with thinking, speaking, or walking
    weakness

The fact that you can only take it for 3 months at a time also means that if you become dependent on it to suppress your appetite, the rug is quickly pulled out from under you when you stop taking it because your appetite will come back and you still will not know how to deal with it.

Which I also did not think was mean spirited or calling her lazy. It was mostly not directed to her as she'd already made her decision but to those lurking and considering taking phentermine.

Edit: fixed quote boxes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for the lack of support on MFP ….and to find out what the true source of the buthurt is
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    And to add, you're going to be hungry...that's part of the deal. That's why a lot of people can't succeed in losing weight. Sorry, but if you really don't want to keep regaining weight, you have to learn to deal with less food.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    And to add, you're going to be hungry...that's part of the deal. That's why a lot of people can't succeed in losing weight. Sorry, but if you really don't want to keep regaining weight, you have to learn to deal with less food.

I disagree with the part about being hungry- the only time I'm hungry is when I'm about to eat. Sometimes I *want* more food, because I have a decades-long habit of reaching for food in almost every situation, but that's not the same thing. You don't have to go hungry to lose weight.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I've been plateaued/ gaining for over two years while supposedly eating at a deficit. I have run every calculator on the web, and I have tried a deficit from 250-750 calories. I think this covers a reasonable margin of error. I have tried a "reset" and thus gained 15 lbs. NOTHING is working for me either. I bought a new food scale. I weigh, I measure, I even count my chips and nuts. I work out. Usually six days a week. 4 days of circuit training with a lot of strength and 2 days of cardio, usually running. I used a heart rate monitor. I now use a Bodymedia. I have figured net calories and eaten back exercise calories. I have used the %off TDEE method. I tried straight lifting for awhile. I am human, so I'm sure that my logging of both food and exercise is not 100% accurate, but I have tried various deficits! and I should at least be seeing a small loss! not as gain! Currently I am just including a margin of error in my deficit/goal.

Nothing works. NOTHING. (And it used to work. Four years ago I lost nearly 45 lbs using MFP reccomendations. I am still maintaining a healthy weight, but I am unhappy with regaining 15 lbs and not being able to lose it.)

So I certainly understand your frustration. And people on the boards are not kind about this. (Please don't tell me I eat too little--the calculators say I should maintain at 1490 cals for sedentary, so anyone with half a brain can do the math for creating a deficit. Small, low body weight people simply don't burn many calories, even when you add in more exercise ise cals--say 150-200 more a day.)

I personally would not want to try a stimulant, especially since heart issues are all over my family tree, but I would think this has more to do with your doctors recommendations for YOU and no one else. My biggest question would be, and I think you pointed this out--will the metabolism boost from the meds remain when you stop the meds. Very valid question.

I would echo the good advice of several--try to ignore the idiots on the boards who have not been taught basic social skills, sift comments carefully, and add friends carefully who will help you. Add me if you like. I don't have the answers but I am searching and I love hearing new ideas that are presented I a courteous manner.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I appreciate feedback - I don't appreciate being called "lazy" or being judged for what I am doing. Not when I am asking for support in the first place. I understand people want to make their point, but they can do that without name-calling and being nasty. I am not nasty to them, I feel like I deserve the same respect.

no one judged you …you were chilled because you said "calorie deficits do not work…"

Unless you live outside the laws of math and thermodynamics ..calorie deficit works for everyone…even if you have a specific medical condition …you can lose in a deficit…I mean you have to, do you really think that eating over maintenance is going to make you lose?

You have to have a negative energy balance to lose fat….so even if you take a diet pill, the pill is just going to find a way to put you in a calorie deficit …most likely through suppressing appetite so that you eat less and create a negative energy balance...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Blunt and honest is fantastic. I have looked at many parts of this forum and there is a very clear difference between blunt and honest and very rude and mean spirited.

And I don't want to be coddled myself, or for anyone to agree with everything I say. I belong to another forum where you're encouraged (in the user agreement) to call someone out on their crap. It is also a support forum.

And people there can become very rude, OR (the thing I seem to come across here the most) wait until one person posts the first mocking/rude reply and then HELLO, PITCHFORKS!

I've also been the person that was rude to other people. I mean RUDE, not blunt. There was a problem with the rude part.

People are rude because they are insecure. If they feel like they have more information than you, then they feel "better" than you. Or they can while they momentarily tear you a new one. Sadly, I've done it. I stopped because 1. It was upsetting people and 2. I didn't like being that person.

So, equipped with that knowledge and having gotten over that portion of my life, I laugh at/ feel sorry for the people who are mean because they *think* they are superior. I'm not intimidated by post count on an internet forum, that literally means nothing, especially if 50% of it is being in the Cool, Super Insecure Kids group that goes around being rude to other, newer posters.

They don't have to be mean. It just looks awesome to their internet friends. Which is hilarious.

So, take what you can, leave the a-holes. They are actually very sad people. And I literally mean ignore them. Don't respond, nothing. They are a little blip. That's all.

I don't understand posts like this. you complain about people being rude

then you post to say that the people you perceive as being rude are all (add very rude assumptions and underhand insults based on amateur psychology here, about people you've never met and know nothing about here)

....interesting.

If someone's being rude then by all means call them out for it, but you don't need to say a whole bunch of mean things about them in the process.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    So many people cry wolf that when a wolf is really there they just appear to be a sheep in a wolf's clothing.

Ya follow?

You're the one person that actually is a special snowflake.. You're like the one person who eats GF and actually has a legitimate gluten intolerance.

By default, people will assume you're just another person who thinks they are doing everything right, when they're not. 99% of the time this is true.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    “We find comfort among those who agree with us -- growth among those who don't.” - Frank A Clark

That is all.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I feel for you. I've been plateaued/ gaining for over two years while supposedly eating at a deficit. I have run every calculator on the web, and I have tried a deficit from 250-750 calories. I think this covers a reasonable margin of error. I have tried a "reset" and thus gained 15 lbs. NOTHING is working for me either. I bought a new food scale. I weigh, I measure, I even count my chips and nuts. I work out. Usually six days a week. 4 days of circuit training with a lot of strength and 2 days of cardio, usually running. I used a heart rate monitor. I now use a Bodymedia. I have figured net calories and eaten back exercise calories. I have used the %off TDEE method. I tried straight lifting for awhile. I am human, so I'm sure that my logging of both food and exercise is not 100% accurate, but I have tried various deficits! and I should at least be seeing a small loss! not as gain! Currently I am just including a margin of error in my deficit/goal.

Nothing works. NOTHING. (And it used to work. Four years ago I lost nearly 45 lbs using MFP reccomendations. I am still maintaining a healthy weight, but I am unhappy with regaining 15 lbs and not being able to lose it.)

So I certainly understand your frustration. And people on the boards are not kind about this. (Please don't tell me I eat too little--the calculators say I should maintain at 1490 cals for sedentary, so anyone with half a brain can do the math for creating a deficit. Small, low body weight people simply don't burn many calories, even when you add in more exercise ise cals--say 150-200 more a day.)

I personally would not want to try a stimulant, especially since heart issues are all over my family tree, but I would think this has more to do with your doctors recommendations for YOU and no one else. My biggest question would be, and I think you pointed this out--will the metabolism boost from the meds remain when you stop the meds. Very valid question.

I would echo the good advice of several--try to ignore the idiots on the boards who have not been taught basic social skills, sift comments carefully, and add friends carefully who will help you. Add me if you like. I don't have the answers but I am searching and I love hearing new ideas that are presented I a courteous manner.

how did you lose 45 pounds if calorie deficit does not work for you???
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, if you're looking for people to agree with you about your decision to take diet pills you're probably on the wrong website. No one has actually called you 'lazy' on the forums (it's interesting you believe that word has been used), so you're just going to have to...

deal_with_it_fabulously.gif

I think I laughed harder at this gif than I have about anything in the past week. Thank you for that! :laugh:
  • livelovetravelxx
    Options
    I find people on forums can be very critical!
    A lot of people on here like to comment on the bad things you do instead of the good..
    i.e I was b**tched at cos I said I drank 6 cups of water and a cup of tea. The person disregarded my water drinking and went straight on to nag at me for drinking tea as it dehydrates you.
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options

I don't understand posts like this. you complain about people being rude

then you post to say that the people you perceive as being rude are all (add very rude assumptions and underhand insults based on amateur psychology here, about people you've never met and know nothing about here)

....interesting.

If someone's being rude then by all means call them out for it, but you don't need to say a whole bunch of mean things about them in the process.

You're right. I thought it wasn't rude, but I could have left some of that stuff out. I could see how it could be seen as rude.

I'm not calling the people out because it doesn't do anything. I found that people just want to be called out on it. I just don't want to feed into that. I could do it. I have specific people in mind here.

It would have been more rude, honestly, if I'd called out specific people, IMO. I would not name people by name. Then it's what? Time for people to attack that person or me? Either way, it's giving both sides something to beat into the ground for the millionth time. I don't want to be a part of drama so I'll leave the names out.

Sorry if I did offend anyone with that. I was really just talking about the rude/mocking people. Not the blunt people. As I said, there's a difference. I just don't see why it is that people justify being rude with "Oh well, we've seen this question a million times from noobs and we're sick of it!" Okay, well roll your eyes and move on to the next post? I don't know. Sometimes it's sad.