If cutting cal= losing,y do people want ketosis?

Options

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Excess calories are stored as fat. Even if you eat carbs, you will still burn body fat if you are in a calorie deficit.

Except sometimes you get stuck and things stop working. Plus different people just react differently to things. If I net at a 500 deficit at 40/30/30 (CPF) or 50/30/20, I don't lose anymore, haven't lost at that for years. If I go a few weeks eating exactly the same number of calories at 5/30/65, I'll lose body fat. Everything is precisely weighed so I know my numbers are right, it's not just a case of "you're losing because you're eating less", 1,800 net with no carbs I lose, 1,800 net with plenty of carbs I don't. I don't claim to have a conclusive scientific reasoning for this, it's just how my body seems to work. I don't stay in keto for long anyway, I like my carbs, but it's useful just to fire up for a few weeks when I'm getting annoyed by some extra wobble.

how much more do you lose when you go "low carb"?

Not a lot. Maybe 2-3kg over the course of a month. But it's more than nothing. And since I don't notice any adverse effects, no real harm in it. I don't see carbs as evil, nor would I preach that what I do is what anyone 'should' do, but if you're stuck in a plateau and short on ideas to jump-start it's worth trying.

more then likely it is just water weight/glycogen then ...

so when you increase you gain some water weight and then you decrease you lose said water weight...

The calipers usually point to a BF cut of 3-4% after a month (granted mine's quite high lately, around 19-20%, not saying I'd get from 10-7 using the same methods).
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Any diet that gives you bad breath and constipation just isn't worth it for me!!
  • lovehealthlift
    lovehealthlift Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have struggled to get through a lot of the misinformation that I have just read because it hurts my eyes a little bit.

I have personally lost a hell of a lot of weight through moderate carbohydrate + clean eating & I began the Ketogenic diet September of last year.

We are all genetically different and some people have a higher intolerance to carbohydrates, the next person may do fine in an abundance of them and the next person might not. So what is important here is to mention that everyone is different.

I began Keto initially to help with my energy levels after a 6 month illness. It does. It helps tremendously because I don't crash and burn like I do on carbs, I don't crave more carbs like I do when I eat them even in smaller amounts, I can run for longer and I can LIFT heavier.

Aside from going into a lot of detail about the benefits it's given me and how it's changed my life - you CAN build muscle (espec newbie gains) on a calorie deficit AND on a very low carb diet - the human body is far too complicated to even judge these things based on what seems to be 'obvious' and what they read in a magazine. I am my own experiment in that field.

http://lovehealthlift.tumblr.com/post/80170242078/lovehealthlift-it-could-just-be-the
    ^^ The link above is my progress with lifting plus Keto, no 'carb ups'.

I think it's also important to add that there are many many books available and there is a hell of a lot of research into it. We evolved on a low carb diet, agriculture only just began very recently.

Any videos by Gary Taubes on youtube can help anyone who wishes to delve further. Good Calories, Bad Calories - Gary Taubes, Why we get Fat - Gary Taubes, The art and science of low carb living - Stephen Phinney & Jeff Volek.

I'm not saying carbs are the devil, I just ask people open their mind a little more to other eating styles which can help people feel BETTER. I feel amazing.

This is a lifestyle for me now and I would never go back to a long term moderate or high carbohydrate diet again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Saying "we evolved in a low carb environment" ignores the beauty and diversity of the environments we did evolve in (anywhere from mostly meat to low meat) and disregards a major strength we have as a species - flexibility. You can argue that we had fewer grains in our diet before the advent of agriculture, but you are going to have to provide evidence about the amount of carbs that pre-historic humans consumed in the variety of situations they found themselves.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have struggled to get through a lot of the misinformation that I have just read because it hurts my eyes a little bit.

I have personally lost a hell of a lot of weight through moderate carbohydrate + clean eating & I began the Ketogenic diet September of last year.

We are all genetically different and some people have a higher intolerance to carbohydrates, the next person may do fine in an abundance of them and the next person might not. So what is important here is to mention that everyone is different.

I began Keto initially to help with my energy levels after a 6 month illness. It does. It helps tremendously because I don't crash and burn like I do on carbs, I don't crave more carbs like I do when I eat them even in smaller amounts, I can run for longer and I can LIFT heavier.

Aside from going into a lot of detail about the benefits it's given me and how it's changed my life - you CAN build muscle (espec newbie gains) on a calorie deficit AND on a very low carb diet - the human body is far too complicated to even judge these things based on what seems to be 'obvious' and what they read in a magazine. I am my own experiment in that field.

http://lovehealthlift.tumblr.com/post/80170242078/lovehealthlift-it-could-just-be-the

I think it's also important to add that there are many many books available and there is a hell of a lot of research into it. We evolved on a low carb diet, agriculture only just began very recently.

Any videos by Gary Taubes on youtube can help anyone who wishes to delve further. Good Calories, Bad Calories - Gary Taubes, Why we get Fat - Gary Taubes, The art and science of low carb living - Stephen Phinney & Jeff Volek.

I'm not saying carbs are the devil, I just ask people open their mind a little more to other eating styles which can help people feel BETTER. I feel amazing.

This is a lifestyle for me now and I would never go back to a long term moderate or high carbohydrate diet again.

for the record, I have no problem with keto, low carb, etc..

what I do have a problem with is when people say "you can do keto, do not need a calorie deficit, and you will still lose", or they act like keto/low carb is some magical fat burning solution that is superior to all others…
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

what I do have a problem with is when people say "you can do keto, do not need a calorie deficit, and you will still lose", or they act like keto/low carb is some magical fat burning solution that is superior to all others…

It is superior for certain people (especially for those people with carb sensitivity issues). Why is that such a big deal?
  • ndj1979
    Options

It is superior for certain people (especially for those people with carb sensitivity issues). Why is that such a big deal?

because at the end of the day you need a calorie deficit to lose weight...claiming that you can do Keto, not be in a deficit, and still lose weight is disingenuous at best...
  • lindsey1979
    Options

because at the end of the day you need a calorie deficit to lose weight...claiming that you can do Keto, not be in a deficit, and still lose weight is disingenuous at best...

Sure, but most people on this thread seem to be aware of that as quite a few spoke about tracking their calories and maintaining a deficit and explained that they just find it easier to maintain a deficit because of the high satiety of a high fat moderate protein low carb diet. That's the very reason why some people find it to be superior.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sure, but most people on this thread seem to be aware of that as quite a few spoke about tracking their calories and maintaining a deficit and explained that they just find it easier to maintain a deficit because of the high satiety of a high fat moderate protein low carb diet. That's the very reason why some people find it to be superior.

ummm no, actually if you read the whole thread several people said that you can be in ketosis and it does not matter if you are in calorie deficit or not ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    here is an example from page three:

"And according to the caloric deficit. You dont need that because once in Keto you burn more fat then you can take in, thats why the "deficit" you may think you need is gotta be way lower then when youre on a normal diet. thats why you dont even need any deficit to loose weight. "
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    ummm no, actually if you read the whole thread several people said that you can be in ketosis and it does not matter if you are in calorie deficit or not ....

I guess you saw more people than I did. I only saw two -- Lowfyr and FXOjafar -- claim such a thing. And even FXOjafar qualified his statement with something like "within reason". I saw far more people say that they counted calories and advocated a caloric deficit -- just that it was easier for them to do with a keto/low carb lifestyle.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low carb diet for the last month, and I plan to stay on one. I still count my calories. Do I need to? I think I could lose weight without counting the calories, but I don't think it would be a healthy weight loss. Before I was struggling to stay under my calorie goal, now I'm struggling to just get near it. I feel better, I have more energy, I don't have cravings, I'm not as hungry as often. I'm not wanting to take a nap after lunch. I cheated a couple of times in the last month, and I can tell the difference when I've had lots of carbs over when I've kept them lower.

It is definitely easier to stay on a deficit with low carb.

Now I was following a low calorie diet in January and February. Low carb didn't make me lose any more weight than the low calorie. It was about the same. It just made it easier for me. Less 'oh my god I'm so hungry I want to eat an entire pizza' moments.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. Do I think it's going to work for me? I think so because I feel better, I have more energy, so I'm more likely to keep going.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diet is not about cutting on calories.... you gonna loose weight even by eating more calories then your bmr+actv requires.

But its a pretty hard diet... im not sure if you were talking about the specific keto diet here or just low carb, but

keto diet = about 10-15g carbs a day MAX
    low carb = anything under 30/40% carbs

The keto diet is a pretty sadistic diet i have to say, i could only do it for a little over 2 weeks then i had to quit..

heres a calculator wich shows you how many calories fat etc you have to eat :

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

But just to emphasize this again, its not about cutting calories... its about not eating carbs.

so I can do Keto..eat 1000 calories a day over maintenance and I will lose weight..really?

Well, this unlikely, unless you are training extremely heavy and burn those extra food calories right off. However, looking at the macro ratios, the protein percentage is higher, and the body needs extra energy to process protein, compared to carbs or fat. It's more like an extra hidden benefit, and if you're not going over your set calorie allowance, this will give you a few safely calories to manage your daily goal. But don't count on it.

but you stated in your original post that "you will lose weight on Keto even if you eat more" ...now you are saying that is not the case?
    Whose to say how many caloriese you should and shouldn't be eating? I remember when I first started KETO diet, I ate 4 meals a day, like for breakfast eggs snack cheese lunch salad and fish potato, lunch tuna salad and dinner was chicken. I loved being able to eat 4 meals a day and lose weight, I remember also drinking coconut milk that had 0 carbs.
    Its all about creating home made meals and avoiding carbs.......
  • likitisplit
    Options
    For the record, 15 people responded positively about Ketosis/low carb

- 5 mentioned that it is possible to eat more calories in ketosis
    - 6 mentioned satiation
    - 2 mentioned health conditions
    - 2 mentioned other benefits

ETA - 16 people
    - 6 mentioned more calories as a factor.
  • caminoslo
    Options
    Carbs(bread,rice,tortillas) these sorts of carbs are for people who plan on exercising all the time.

Without Those carbs or sugar is for people who dont want to exercise like myself

Low fat candy is there for you to gain weight, Those carbs I listed above are there for you to gain, Sugar is there for you to gain weight even with exercise as I discovered as I'd eat my favorite gummy bears while going on a hike for an hour in hills around my home..

Homemade desserts I will make, and im talking YOu make the pudding, the mergeuigne, the crust not insta desserts at the dollars store,. Home made desserts are filling and sometimes I dont esersize but I feel satisfied I might end up not losing but going into maintnance when I do that.
    I see it like this when im hungry im hungry I can either do a quick fix by eating packed stuff Or I can take the time to cook.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/index.html

Regular physical activity helps improve your overall health and fitness, and reduces your risk for many chronic diseases.

Fitting regular exercise into your daily schedule may seem difficult at first, but the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans are more flexible than ever, giving you the freedom to reach your physical activity goals through different types and amounts of activities each week. It's easier than you think!
  • caminoslo
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/index.html

Regular physical activity helps improve your overall health and fitness, and reduces your risk for many chronic diseases.

Fitting regular exercise into your daily schedule may seem difficult at first, but the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans are more flexible than ever, giving you the freedom to reach your physical activity goals through different types and amounts of activities each week. It's easier than you think!
    The cdc and fda are creating a plan for diaster, they are telling people that eating whole grains is better for you but they are also telling you to Exercise which sets a lot of people up for failure. But there is a lot of politics behind this whole thing, there are more than one way to do something.
    They dont mention that being fit is for exercising and dieting is for weight management. If you want to exercise follow the fda if you dont want to do it all the time do keto.
    Politically there is a lot of money being invested in subsidizing the corn industry. It is easier to feed people on carbohydrates than on perishables. Today I told my mom I would like to donate a cheese to the food bank she told me that they dont have refridrators they only keep non perishables things tha thave shelf lives. Whats that, All the junk and carbs....... Less people would go to the gym, less people would be on fad diets, lots of things would be hurting economically if the truth came out.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Low fat candy is there for you to gain weight, Those carbs I listed above are there for you to gain, Sugar is there for you to gain weight even with exercise as I discovered as I'd eat my favorite gummy bears while going on a hike for an hour in hills around my home..

I eat over 100g of sugar most days and haven't gained any weight (lost weight, even?). I eat rice and bread and tortillas (couple times a week. Sometimes more than one of those in a day) and again...not fat.

Now maybe I'm a special snowflake (doubt it.) but I'm gonna go ahead and say that your thoughts may be a little...flawed.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Obviously there are many people on here commenting about PCOS and insulin resistance saying, just eat low calorie and you'll still lose! Stop making statements if you don't have knowledge about it.

OP - I eat low carb. I never knew that much about ketosis, ketostix, etc when I did low carb eating before being pregnant. After having my son I tried low calorie and then low carb and tried to stick to low calorie, but I have a hard time feeling full. That is why I stick to low carb and why I see where I'm at using ketostix. These are, by no means, a sure fire way to tell if you're in ketosis...you may be getting a false high reading because you aren't drinking enough water (which is very important!). The only way would be to measure your blood, which they do have ketone meters out there (although the strips are very expensive and I don't think its that worth it to me to prick my finger for an accurate reading. If I was diabetic, then yes I would).

You CAN still gain weight with low carb. I can't eat 3 pounds of bacon a day and expect to lose weight. I never would have believed you that I was in a calorie deficit though with what I was eating. I joined MFP and sure enough, I was eating around what the goal had given me. This also made me realize why some weeks I'd have a bigger loss than others...HELLO some days I would have probably eaten maintance calories. I balance this out now...if I know I'll be have chicken wings for dinner, Ill watch by calories during lunch and have a salad with chicken instead of a burger with cheese.

ETA: I by no means feel superior eating low carb/Atkins. I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. I eat low carb because I found it works for ME. I eat it because I'm not as hungry as I am when I eat more of my calories as carbs.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Obviously there are many people on here commenting about PCOS and insulin resistance saying, just eat low calorie and you'll still lose! Stop making statements if you don't have knowledge about it.

Who is doing that?